Author Topic: Has Polly had a stroke? Anyone know the symptoms and prognosis or useful links?  (Read 20202 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I think I owe it to her to wait till the end of the weekend, or longer, before making any final decision.

In the cases of my cats the vet gave medication immediately which helped the healing process. However, I must say that they were not incontinent or howling. If Polly were my cat I would most certainly take her to the vet today and not wait to see if there is any improvement.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Sorry to hear about poor Polly  :'(

I read up on Milbemax and can't see any ifo on adverse reactions. The only side effect was trembling if overdosed which passes after a day.

I found this on cat strokes - there are some sad stories but also a lot of positive ones regarding cats recovering. I hope it isn't that.

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-5712.html

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Sorry HP nothing useful to add except didn't Sue's Paddy have a stroke too and recovered after a while? Hopefully she will see this thread. Just want to say I'm thinking of you and Polly. I certainly would refer to my normal vet though before reaching any decision and would trust your judgement about any pts decision rather than a locum vet. Hopefully your vet will be able to put your mind at rest that it wouldn't have been the Milemax.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Oh hun so sorry about this.  Fingers crossed she recovers from this. Don't beat yourself up about this, there could be any number of reasons she's like this.  Thinking of you  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I do hope that she recovers from this, it could just be coincidence with the wormer you know, as you would expect a reaction to happen quicker than that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Thanks Desley.
She's seems very uncomfortable still, and occasionally howls. She's incontinent, but I'm keeping her in a large carrying cage and just keep changing it, so she doesn't have anywhere else to 'go'. I'm doing this because she's behaving like a cat who's just coming round from a GA: moving drunkenly, can't get onto her feet, and kind of crawling like a baby trying to stand. These could be side effects of the Milbemax, but she doesn't seem to be getting better.

I first noticed her symptoms yesterday lunchtime. I'd given her the pill at about 5pm the previous afternoon. I'd hate to think I'd killed her by giving her this; she was fine before hand. I knew vets were bad for cats! (me having a rant) I might persuade a friend to come with me to the vet today for support.

I'd always hoped she would go gently in her sleep, not howling and acting weird.

I think I owe it to her to wait till the end of the weekend, or longer, before making any final decision. It's a choice I'll have to live with, and I want to be sure there was no way back.

Thanks Ela, now I'll definitely give her time to heal, but will see a vet I trust. There are two of them at my normal vets.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
The vet's response was "oh, she's that old, better pts". Is he right? My instincts don't say so. But I could be

wrong.

The fact that a cat is old is in my opinion not an excuse to PTS, it is a matter of prognosis. and quality of life.

2  of my own cats have had strokes, Tango had one when she was about 14 went blind and for a few days was not too good but regained her sight and recovered after a few days completely and lived until she was 18.

My Jeannie age about 12 had a stroke a few months ago and went blind, she is now on medication and although still blind and has a slight problem  with a back leg occasionally she  is very happy and having a quality life.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
None of us can say if it is a stroke or just an adverse reaction sadly, so I would have her seen by your regular vet, but you will know when it is her time - how is she behaving today? I have checked a few sites that have lots of articles about various illnesses, and none have any info about strokes. Good luck, and I do hope your vet is more positive.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
The emergency vet I saw last night thinks that Polly may have had a stroke. I don't know what to think. Is it a stroke, or adverse reaction to an overdose of Milbemax? (See other post.)

Does anyone know what the symptoms and prognosis are? Would be glad of any input. The vet's response was "oh, she's that old, better pts". Is he right? My instincts don't say so. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone know any good websites with info on? I'm very bad at searching and came up with things like "when I stroke my cat....."!

I'm very worried about Polly, she's been my friend for a long time, and I don't want to lose her yet (nor ever, if I'm honest), especially when I'm unsure the vet is right.

Will probably take her to my regular vet today, I trust them more.

Please help.  :'(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Link to CatChat