Author Topic: Feel like a bad meowmy but... fleas  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Feel like a bad meowmy but... fleas
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 16:04:01 PM »
Have you to managed the kick the fleas army butts?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 22:52:08 PM »
Yes I posted about the effects of a supermarket one, I think it was on behalf of Desley who couldnt get on at the time.

Defo check with vet before mixing two types.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 20:22:37 PM »
Giving 2 doses of the same drug in a week isnt a problem, they have safety limits, mixing chemicals is different. To be safe its best to check with the vets as iv heard of bad problems with supermarket flea control products.
There was a lady some time ago who posted on Purrs (i think) whose cat was really ill after using one, had fits and allsorts.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 16:35:57 PM »
when i got the girls as kittens i gave them 2 doses of strong hold within 3 days and they were also fine

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 16:34:33 PM »
Miss Boopy had 2 doses of Frontline within 3 days of each other and suffered no ill effects so I wouldn't have thought giving the cat a Frontline when they've already had a supermarket spot on would do them any harm.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 16:31:23 PM »
re od with flea treatments
how come in the leaflet that comes with frontline it says there was no reaction when it was used 4 or 5 times the recomended dose ?
if it were me id give them the frontline as soon as it comes through the post .
Something else im a bit confused about is ; if you are able to bring fleas in on your clothes then how do vets and rspca inspectors get on when they see loads of animals who are infested with fleas
they must bring them back to their house on there clothes then ?
if your house and pets are all treated and you bring in a flea does that mean the flea will die straight away and you wont have a problem or will you still be infested ?

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 15:50:50 PM »
Awww don't feel like a bad Mummy. Everyones cats will get a flea at some point. I panicked that we had fleas as I started getitng itchy but turns out I've got chickenpox lol  :rofl:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 15:39:44 PM »

I would also phone your vet to see how long you need to wait inbetween doses as you dont want to OD them  :evillaugh:

I believe its amonth between frontline spoton doses. It can make some cats quite ill and overdse can definitly kill
Make sure you put it on high up the neck where its impossible for them to lick it off .

sounds like you did all the right things but that sure is some infestation !

some times when I go into void houses of Housing Associations I can actually see a mass of black onnthe carpets jumping on your trousers . Always tuck em inside my socks. We have to fumigate whole house .

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »
Dawn - that is actually a good price, it could have cost you that just for the Frontline if you had gone through the vets!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 23:41:54 PM »
Yep, mine were due for their fleaing this month too, Dawn. I thought "ah, so far no apparant problems." as in, no droppings when I combed them....then I saw a flea!

Literally the day after I saw the flea, the cats had been frontlined (I already had them in; a very rare occurence!) and the house had been sprayed from top to bottom! We've had an infestation before, and I know what you mean about it making the house feel dirty - not to mention feeling guilty because your cats are "suffering."

You aren't a bad mum, the hot weather encourages fleas, and they can be crafty little blighters. Hitching rides on clothing and anything material really.

Yeuchhh.....hate fleas. Poor you guys!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 22:03:29 PM »
A little trick I learned on here. just put a drop of washingup liquid in the water. It breaks the surface tension so they sink.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 18:53:14 PM »
Oh you don't have to hold them under   ;) they just sink if you break the surface of the water. No one escaped alive  :evillaugh:.

When my lot had little visitors, I combed them every day and managed to get off quite a few that would otherwise have been having a ball at their expense  >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 18:24:35 PM »
I dont know how long you have to hold the fleas under the water to drown but I found putting them in a tissue and squeezing em was best.............some used to escape though .............sigh.

The only way really is the best flea traetments and treat the house like you are doing.

To have a real infestation is horrible cos I did after Kocka arrived and I didnt know much bout cats and she was covered and they were hopping around everywhere grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

flea combs really are only good to check they dont have any, if yoou see one, there will be more!!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 16:54:48 PM »
Thanks for all the advice  :thanks:

I have ordered
frontline spot on 3 pack (not sure how I should work it now as they have had the supermarket spot on? call to vets?)
Drontal worming tablets
Indorex 500ml can

Comes to £25.51.... ouch!  :-[ I suppose it could be alot worse though!

(the talk of fleas is making me feel itchy!  :shify: )

Edit: flea comb - I will invest, sounds like a good idea, especially if vet says I cannot use some of the products yet as I have blasted poor cats with spray and spot on  :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 17:04:40 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 16:49:44 PM »
Aw, don't feel bad Dawn, it happens to us all at some point. I'd advise to do the house thoroughly [and Frontline the cats of course], wait 2 - 3 weeks and then do the house again. Oh, and get a flea comb - it's not a pleasant job but your pusscats will feel comfier for it, just make sure you have a bowl of water handy to wipe the comb into - cat fur and flea into water and the flea will drown.

Good luck :Flowers:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 15:12:45 PM »
Okay.. bad meowmy - I gets it..  :(

I am writing all this down and will order later - how fast do they get here?

The last time i ordered it came the next day !!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 15:02:14 PM »
Oh alright .... I admit it.  ;D Just had load of work done to house and Duncan, one of the workers, had 3 bites.  I never noticed any of ours scratching and I'm usually 1st to be bitten and worked it out that last flea treatment was 6 weeks ago (a couple of weeks before cattery visit) so you really have to be on top of it if cats allowed outdoors and warm weather. I am now well stocked up again from Vet UK who delivered in 2 days.  I read up on the little blighters and it seems that, whilst cat fleas bite humans, dog fleas don't and Duncan only has a dog. Also if cat hosts not available, fleas more likely to bite humans and our 3 were either in cattery or banged up in lounge for most of 3 weeks. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 14:32:46 PM »
    Indeed - I'd NEVER allow my boys to get fleas.. 

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 14:26:07 PM »
I once accidentally kicked a hedgehog while walking to work on a dark morning, and ended up passing the fleas on to my cats, which at that time were indoor only. Although they weren't cat fleas, it still took several months to get rid of them!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 14:21:24 PM »
Don't worry Dawn, Max picked up a flea or two a few months ago and I was mortified!  I now do Advantage flea stuff every month with a worming tablet every 3, just as a precaution, as even though Max doesn't go out, you can bring them in on clothes.

Defo recommend the Indorex spray from the vets as well, it worked a treat.  Afraid you may have to get the credit card out though as they're not the cheapest items.  Also check with your vet what you can give them alongside the treatments you've used already.

Good luck on ridding the house of the crawlies  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 14:14:18 PM »
you'd never catch caring loving mummys like me or helen or susanne etc allowing our cats to have fleas  :rofl:

:evillaugh:

:rofl:  ;D  Indeed - I'd NEVER allow my boys to get fleas..  ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 14:10:55 PM »
Lexy due hers tonight and I will be giving her the treatment. She was scratching her neck a bit yesterday. could be heat but hey, better safe than sorry

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 14:06:48 PM »
I can't talk Dawn, I  got more than a bit lax last year with treatment - what makes it worse is I had it in the drawer! -  until Clapton had a serious infestation which made him ill with a temperature etc. from the bites. He had to have an antibiotic injection followed by a week on antibiotics. It taught me a lesson so I am really hot on it now.

I don't know how long it takes as I get it from the vet and he gives them the Milbemax when they go for their 6 monthly check up.

You can use the link to the shop from here http://www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk/

I just noticed they have a next day delivery option but I'm sure it costs more - I guess you have to get your order in early enough for them to mail it out in time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 14:12:27 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 13:45:48 PM »
Okay.. bad meowmy - I gets it..  :(

I am writing all this down and will order later - how fast do they get here?
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 13:31:05 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

You are a TERRIBLE mummy  :rofl:

you'd never catch caring loving mummys like me or helen or susanne etc allowing our cats to have fleas  :rofl:

:evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 13:30:27 PM »
Indorex is the house spray - the best one I think. Frontline is spot-on. They will also need worming as they probably have tapeworm if they have fleas (drontal or Milbemax tabs)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 13:26:06 PM »
Oh crap  :(

I am worried to look at the prices now, will have a look when I get home from work - literally no money until a week tomorrow - spent my last few £ on 2 more bottles of the spray  :'( I just tried looking at the coventry cat group link but its not working as the site is down - where can i found another?

Credit card jobbie I suppose!

indorex - is that tablets? and frontline do a spot on dont they - or do they also do a spray?

So clueless!  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 13:26:46 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 13:06:32 PM »
Supermarket products wont work Dawn! You need indorex and frontline, cheapest on vet uk  ;D (dont forget to use a rescue link )

I would also phone your vet to see how long you need to wait inbetween doses as you dont want to OD them  :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
Feel like a bad meowmy but... fleas
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 13:00:43 PM »
I wasnt sure whether to post about this on here or not cause I didnt want anyone to think I was a bad meowmy/cruel etc but our three have fleas  :'( I think maybe the cat sitter brought them in with him as I have only noticed it since we got back from the festival (12th june) and they are indoor cats.

I know now that they can pick them up from anywhere.. after reading a few threads.

We noticed Cheese had one on her 4.30pm Sunday - tesco closed, PAH closed, found an ASDA in Bolton open til 5pm so we sped down there - I have put a spot on on them (I know that doesnt help with the problem we already have) which they hated and also brought 4 cans of flea spray - bought 2 first - one for three cats and one for carpets (which thank god we dont have much of, just stairs and bathroom) all over sofas, curtains, cat beds, cat trees etc.

We still noticed a few on Gerti so we got another 2 sprays yesterday and I bagged up all the sofa throws, all our clothes and towels that have been lying around, mats on the floor, bed covers etc and put them in car - then sprayed the house again from top to bottom, hoovered carpet and sprayed again to try and get all eggs out - sprayed cats and they all had a sulk (vented house cause it was making me wheeze, didnt want cats to be ill) and I took all the bagged up stuff to launderette and put it on a boil wash.

Fingers crossed there will be no more - its driving me mad  :'( :'( I hate bugs, hate having a house I feel is "dirty" but most of all hate my poor cats being ill and sad :sad no: I have been bitten alot too, and I already have big skin probs so it is so depressing to be worse than usual.

Have I done the right things?  :-[

p.s Phil found 2 dead fleas this morning in cats water  :sick:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 13:02:09 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Link to CatChat