Author Topic: Cats and pills  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Cats and pills
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
I was giving the cats some of these this week and am puzzled as to how you would hide a tablet in them!!

Squeeze it out flat - but not too much. Place the pill in the middle, then fold it back on itself and squeeze the edges tight. It will break up a bit, but it's easy to squish it back together. Does take a bit of practice but it does work.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »
I was giving the cats some of these this week and am puzzled as to how you would hide a tablet in them!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 21:23:40 PM »
I recall in years past when i was new to cat owning, it once took three of us to try and fail to get a pill into my dear departed cat Henry. The vet gave us a fact sheet about how to do it. "Wrap the cat tightly in a towel", it said. Yeah.... right! 

Henry managed to half strangle himself in the blanket, my hubby and my daughter where covered in scratches, I was in tears. And just as Henry dissapeared in a cloud of dust around the door, I looked down to my feet just in time to see my other cat gulp the pill up like it was a sweetie!  The vet had negected to tell me that these pills were made laced with chicken stock :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 17:01:25 PM »
I use a pill shooter with Mogs as she tends to drool and bite me otherwise  :evillaugh: This morning though I went to get her and she disappeared under the bed  >:( not like her at all but I had treats in each hand. Right hand for Mogs with tablets in and left hand for Amber without. I gave her the first tablet treat and it just disappeared so I think we might carry on like this. I have to say though I had to hoover today as I hadnt realised just how much cr*p was under the bed so I couldnt tell if the tablet was spat out or if cat litter had been carried through  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 14:13:47 PM »
if they don't eat the treat and your cat's getting upset by having pills jammed down his/her throat all the time, do those plastic pill shooter things work? They look even worse to me than quickly grabbing kitty and shoving it down his gob.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 19:47:53 PM »
Me too - I keep having to wait until Imogen's asleep then sneak up on her...otherwise she's off. Even if she doesn't like them I'm sure the others will. Great tip PB  :thanks:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 14:37:42 PM »
I will deffo look out for it too. :thanks:
Caroline xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 13:52:47 PM »
Oh my I bought some of that last week and was giving it Mogs as a treat after ramming a pill down her throat  :rofl:

I know just what you mean!  :scared:

I don't often give my lot treats. When I do it tends to be cat nip choccies. I'd never come across a soft treat before. Maybe there are others around? Anyways, I recall spending half an hour trying to conceal a tablet in a piece of chicken. I cut it into 4 pieces thinking it was fool proof.  8) I didn't bargain for the fact I was the fool! The cat ate licked the bowl clean save for 4 quarters of tablet!  :censored: :censored:  :rofl:

I got my Webbox from Asda, but they have a website that lists stockists in all areas.

jxx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 13:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip Pinkbear, I'll have to remember that next time Max needs any tablets  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 13:41:30 PM »
They are about 99p for 6 in Asda, but do last a while. Tiger loves them, she has had all the flavours now - they were on 2 for £1.50 the other week, dont know if htey still are. Aldi do something that look very similar, but are only 49p, just haven't got back there to try them out yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 13:35:54 PM »
Oh my I bought some of that last week and was giving it Mogs as a treat after ramming a pill down her throat  :rofl: Have to say it quite expensive over £1 for 6 sticks but its very like the old felix stick treats stuff.
love
Tab

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 13:28:09 PM »
Where is this magical thing avaiable from?  ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Cats and pills
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
Hi, all  :hug:

Don't know if you guys know this, but I didn't before last week.

My cat Jumpy was diagnosed with a heart complaint last week and will need to take 5 pills a day for the rest of his life. I was feeling a tad concerned about this prospect.  :Crazy: Sharon from Cats Protection Canterbury then told me about this stuff called Webbox Cats Delight, which is a treat like product. It's a bit like plasticine and the advantage is that you can mould it around the pill. Unlike cheese, or fish or anything I've come across that a cat will eat, it hold it's shape for long enough and the taste is strong enough to mask the taste of the pill.

Just thought I'd pass that tip on...  ;)

Link to CatChat