Author Topic: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!  (Read 24649 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2007, 22:45:43 PM »
Although i would love to keep Baz it just wouldnt be fair on my two Leo and Bella, esp Bella who is very dear to me and on borrowed time anyhow with a dodgy heart... ! I wil however be doing my best when he is fit and well to find him a pefect home to someone who can adore him the rest of his life and will also keep me up to date on how he is doing.  In reality after his bit in his mouth is taken out and a few days to get over it, if someone was prepared to keep on the food regime there is no reason he couldnt be rehomed... to someone who was prepared to put time in for  him.. Of course we will keep him as long as but he enjoys the outside life and the more excerise he gets the stronger he will get, today is saw him give a little jump in his pen which is a good sign...

He however, just has to go to a special home and i will be vetting it personally!!! He is also turning into abit of a lap cat but hates his paws touched.....! He is however a very adorable puss, we dont think he is 8yrs old more 5ish as when he has the energy he really does play....
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Super Cat
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2007, 22:40:55 PM »
Baz is still progressing and has his metal bit out on Friday... I am dropping him off at 9.30am for hte vets so he cannot be fed before that.. However, we dont want to upset his food regime and thus what is the safest and lastest time we can feed him.. He only eats biscuits and of course has water down.. I gather its only a short op so want be under long...

Just dont want him going backwards.. he had definately put on weight..........

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »
if we all kept the ones that we had to put a lot into, then we might end up too full and not able to help the next Basil.

I know exactly what you mean, if we had kept all the ones we had fought to save we would be a sanctuary and not a rescue by now.

If you remember I  wrote a few weeks ago ‘For the last 24 hrs I have been caring for Molly (her foster mum was going to a wedding yesterday) who will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. she weighed a whole 185 grams yesterday. She is a little darling and we all hope she makes it. I have now returned her to her foster mum’.
Well Donna has fought and fought to enable Molly to win the battle of life. Donna has almost lived at the vets but today she is ready to be homed , Although still small she is well and I know it will break Donna's heart to let her go but she knows only too well that there is another Molly round the corner. In fact another 2 Molly's came in last night., her sisters, the owner finally decided we could have them as well, sadly they have not had the same care as Molly and one seems to have ligament probs or a broken leg, perhaps that is why we now have them. It is a never ending circle. Hopefully we can now have mum spayed.

I am however sure we have all indulged ourselves in the past.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:32:58 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
true desley i understand but sharon has said she thinks he may be a long term resident  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:12 AM »
Aww, I am so glad to hear that he is carrying on improving, and fingers crossed he continues after the wire comes out. There is such a big improvement in those two pics. I do hope he finds a wonderful home - Lynn, if we all kept the ones that we had to put a lot into, then we might end up too full and not able to help the next Basil.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2007, 22:33:47 PM »
and altho every case is worthwhile i personally think sometimes the most satisfaction can be had from a cat such as basil..the ones you've battled and gone that extra mile for and when they are totally fit and well ... its just so worth it.

I'm glad/hope basil will somehow manage to remain with you, perhaps in time he'll learn to like your other cats too...that way i get good updates  :evillaugh:

• Super Cat
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2007, 22:30:22 PM »
Thanks alot, but I do what i enjoy doing and very often animals have a knack of brightening a grey day when things are kind of gloomy everywhere else..

But, my those two pictures show such an improvment don't they.. Doesnt look like the same cat.... but its Baz alright, even redness on his nose is getting better...

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2007, 22:18:50 PM »
He looks 100 times better and its all thanks to you CC poor little darling, maybe he may feel better when his jaw wire is out, I know my daughters cat did

These are for you from Basil  CC :Flowers: :Flowers: :Flowers: :Flowers: for being such a kind and caring person

xx

• Super Cat
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2007, 22:09:30 PM »
Oh my i have tried evaporated milk, even prawns as well.. The problem is with the wire, he finds it difficult to chew but manages to get biscuits to the back of his throat to eat.. We are at the moment on Pro Plan Kitten food....Water is going as well.

You can pick him up now, although he cannot manage the climbing frame in the pen... I sit with him every so often with a laptop in one hand and a hand stroking hm behind his ears.. He dosnt like you inspecting his mouth (for obviousl reasons).. He now responds to his name, although he will sit with you he is happy to sit besides you rather then on you...He loves to go out but abit nervy of anything new.. I can still get may hands round his waist but his eyes look bright and he does like lots of TLC.. I think  he is doing fine, just lots of time needed to build up his weight... The vets have been pleased with him as well...

I am rather pleased with that photo as the light on his coat shows up so well, his coat is much softer now and we try to brush it every so often.. he loves that...

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2007, 21:35:02 PM »
oooo thats a gorgeous pic sharon and what a difference i see, i hope he gets on even better once the wire is removed from his mouth.

Ive taken the liberty of posting these photos of him to compare the difference.

Hes such a gorgeous boy, what a pity he's had a tough life so far, I dont think he could have been in very good condition even before his jaw was broken.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2007, 21:13:30 PM »
HE IS ABSOLUTLY GORGOUS WHAT A WORRY FOR YOU THOUGH.

MY OLD CAT USED TO LOVE EVEAPORATED MILK UNTIL MY VET TOLD ME HOW BAD IT IS FOR THEIR KIDNEYS, MAYBE ITS NOT SO BAD WATERED DOWN THOUGH?

XX

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2007, 21:10:54 PM »
I used to give Kocka evaporated milk mixed with water.

Hope basil continues to improve.......sad he hates other cats so much.

• Super Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2007, 20:25:04 PM »
I tried to post earlier but failed. Baz is going fine.. although still terribly thin he has enjoyed a few walks in the garden on a  harness (rabbit harness just fits him).. He is having his jaw thing removed on Friday.. Still dosnt eat much, but for sure puton some weight i think.. He now miows and greets you when you go and see him..

See the most up to date photo, enjoying abit of sun over the weekend..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2007, 18:11:33 PM »
Hows our wee man doing sharon ?

been wondering about him over the weekend, well telepathically trying to get him to eat... :innocent:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2007, 19:10:45 PM »
Well, I am glad, at least, that Basil is perking up and showing an interest in things.  I hesitate to imagine his story, poor little mite.  Still, he is in good hands now.

Come on Basil.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2007, 19:06:42 PM »
crab sticks or prawns ??

Of course then  runs into the danger of actually putting him off by trying with so many differnt things...i sympathise with you, this is the story of my life for past 7 years with my own son  :tired:

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2007, 19:05:24 PM »
Natures menu! Yep tried them...no luck... Actually i think i have a sample of just about every type of cat food out there at the moment... We are avoiding the really cheap stuff as we dont want to upset his tummy....

I have some Sardine brine to take over later...
I was told by the vets that he didnt like the liquivite stuff that someone mentioned earlier.. so didnt get that...

Thought of trying evaporated milk as well (no luck with cat milk)

ccmacey

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2007, 18:38:08 PM »
What about trying Natures menu, they are like little chew sticks, soft and choped into little pieces and they come in little bags. About 89p a bag and there's a good few in them.  :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2007, 18:32:49 PM »
fantastic news.  He seems to continue on the right path and hopefully he'll keep plodding on this way.  sounds like he's happy and regaining some strength, your doing a wonderful job  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2007, 18:14:47 PM »
I've spent some time with Basil today and he continues to do well.... He seems to be okay on biscuits of all types and is drinking although i dont think he is drinking enough... But seems bright and can jump on the seat know.  He is so light when you pick him up... He moewed at me today and also we saw him washing himself...His eyes are bright and he is very interested in his outside pen...Several people have been with him today, giving him lots of TLC, he does seem very pleased to see you.... 

He definately eats better at night... Will try tuna water when i next open a tin,, but so far he just cannot take wet food... I have him on the Sainsbury Joe and Jill food at the moment... Trouble with biscuits is that they are often sold in large packets and its a waste if he never eats it... Pro Plan is however a complete meal and he is doing fine on that... As for kitten biscuits yes, we are trying that as well... I cannot even get him interested in cat treats....

I spoke to the vets and they seemed happy with his progress....We have put loads of blankets in his pen and soft cushions but he avoids them.. Today he has been outside in the sun (what sun we have had that is)... His pen is lovely and warm... If he didnt hate cats so much he would be with me indoors, but we dont want to upset him... At the vets he went beserk when seeing other cats....

So his progress is doing well, i just wish he wasnt so thin.. its heartbreaking....

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2007, 16:35:24 PM »
looked up countless articles and nothing says how much altho a couple of things were on about a whole onion or cup ful of chopped onions in a dog and said cats are more sensitive altho probably unlikely to eat the volume that would cause toxicity..i also seen something that lists mushrooms aswell..there was a thread on mushrooms not long ago, it didnt say which type so i'd imagine the common ones would be ok.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2007, 16:06:55 PM »
Lynn, from what I have read it varies - same with garlic, but think they can tolerate larger quantities of that - they make cat food with garlic in the US, and while some people wont feed it, it obviously isnt having serious side effects or they woudlnt be able to keep producing it
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2007, 15:03:38 PM »
The baby food was either the last option or Milo died...................it started him eating and thats all we needed to do. Once they start eating he seemed to try other things after which was kitten food mixed with water

The main thing is them eating  :hug:

xx

when my molly had a tumour removed in her throat she lived on chicken flavour baby food for 3 days
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2007, 14:44:13 PM »
I do still find it odd that as a VN you woudlnt know,

Me too des LOL..atleast you know i always admit to something i dont know  ;)

I reckon i'll have a wee dig online later to see the specific quantities that are likely to do harm.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2007, 14:11:19 PM »
Onions can cause Heinz body anaemia - in both cats and dogs. Here is an article, which includes other things. I do still find it odd that as a VN you woudlnt know,

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1399&articleid=1029
Please spay your cat

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2007, 14:10:53 PM »
The baby food was either the last option or Milo died...................it started him eating and thats all we needed to do. Once they start eating he seemed to try other things after which was kitten food mixed with water

The main thing is them eating  :hug:

xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 14:06:50 PM »
baby food isnt very nutritious either, altho i guess if you have a cat that isnt eating anything better than nothing.

Re the onions des, you've mentioned this before.  My question is many cats have human left overs or "lick a plate" if they get away with it lol, and that will or could also have onions in it with no harm..baby food also very minute quantities so would it really do harm ??  I didnt know about cats and onions till i joined here actually but ive wondered about the baby food thing before.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 14:02:37 PM »
I have never had a cat that would tolerate Liquivite to be honest, so I dont recommend it - normally a/d is the best option, but suspect he wouldn't tolerate that.
You do have to be very careful with babyfood, cos you need it with no onions, and last time I tried to find some without, I struggled. Vet didn't rate using it either.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 13:38:14 PM »
I wonder have you got or could you get a sample bag of hills dried kitten and adult food..lots of cats get very addicted to the hills brand which tends to make them lose their waist line  ;)

If your vet hasnt got the sample bags im sure hills could maybe send you some given the circumstances or someome from here could send you some , i havent got any in just now but will buy some this week..i'll send you a taster down if you want ?

Loved the pics, we can see how thin he is but he does look abit happier than the last pics and its great he is actually drinking aswell.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 21:48:38 PM »
 Milo when I first got him and Bella were the same as your darling little chap when I took them in, Milo wasnt expected to survive. I like you tried everything and he use to vomit then I thought I had nothing to lose and tried Baby food he loved the chicken and beef in a can and the Milupa baby food too.

I started by actually dotting it on his nose and he soon realised he actually liked it............took ages to feed him as he would lick it off my finger and not off a plate. He now eats his food with his hands lol so sweet  :hug: :hug:

Hope it helps for Basil and he continues to improve  :hug: :hug: :hug:

xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 20:32:11 PM »
Have you tried (or heard of!) liquivite?  I saw it the other day on bestpetpharmacy  "Liquivite Cat Food - Both feeds and rehydrates the sick, convalescent, post-operative or anorexic cat, which cannot or will not take solids or drink liquids."

http://www.liquivite.co.uk/      http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/search_results.asp

Also there are some excellent tips on the CRF website for persuading cats to eat, they are not CRF specific so might be worth trying a few ideas.  http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

• Super Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2007, 20:31:25 PM »
Afraid so !!!
Never known a cat like Basil!!

Even tried abit of salmon fillet,, no luck he just physicall repels against it... no good forcing him at all...

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2007, 20:21:57 PM »
have you tried tuna water, from tuna in spring water cans?

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Super Cat
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2007, 20:17:34 PM »
Hi Sam
Jep ! Tried kitten food and all the expensive brands.. He dosnt like cat milk as was suggested earlier.. Tried all kinds of fish and chicken no good either, just gaggs at that as well.  He literally repels at this...

Didnt know that about dry food being fattening,,, thats good though.  He has water down all the time and does drink but mainly in the evening...

Two bowls were left out for him last night and all but a few morsels where gone by morning... Good sign, perhaps when he has had his jaw bit out he will eat more. but he isnt in any pain...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2007, 20:11:42 PM »
Would a good quality (royal canin equivalent) dry kitten food be better for him.  I know wet kitten food is good for nursing mums and for fattening up  skinny cats does the same apply to dry food.  Also with it being kitten it'll be small kibble bits so might be easier for him to eat with a poorly jaw.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2007, 19:09:55 PM »
Dry food tends to help them put weight on more than wet food anyway, so might not be a bad thing for him, as long as he drinks enough.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2007, 18:56:46 PM »
I have today brought a whole load of food and am trying him on different stuff. Mark also gave me some stuff as well. Thanks!
So far he only seems to tolerate biscuits his favourite is Pro Plan. He physically gaggs when he sees wet food.  its going to be a while before he gets any weight on though... He is eating and drinking fine, but eats very slowly...

So progress at least and he is well cared for here...

Wil give him a headbut later for all the kinds thoughts towards him.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2007, 18:46:08 PM »
Sharon I seem t have totally missed this thread somehow!  Just cuaght up with everything ... so pleased Basil is on the mend slowly.

Sending lots of love and positive vibes for this little man  :Luv: :Luv:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2007, 15:32:17 PM »
Slowly but surely...  Come on, Basil!

:hug: to him.  Well done to the Canterbury team.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2007, 13:34:13 PM »
Aww....glad he's on the mend :)

Link to CatChat