Author Topic: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!  (Read 24897 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: A very bad week, now cat with broken jaw that wont eat!
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »
Aww!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 07:49:43 AM »
Spent a few hours with Bas last night and he is less wobbly. Photos of him eating!!! Although morsels of food... He has water and a padded igloo that is heated to sleep on.  Slowly but surely....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:50:30 AM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2007, 21:42:38 PM »
Give basil i big hug from me  :hug:

Would he like to sleep on a wee bean bag or something, breaks my heart to think of his so thin and boney..poor man  :(  I'm so glad he's in safe hands now  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »
Aww, I am glad he is on the mend, and hope you can get him eating well and putting weight on - how about either cat milk or KMR? Good luck with him, and would like to see a piccie at some point.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 23:54:54 PM »
I will bring a few treats for him tomorrow. I know its trial & error with them. After trying all the premium brands, clapton seems to like tesco own brand the best. I have a few kinds including Lidl own that he can try.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2007, 22:32:53 PM »
Hi lyn
I think he is just finding his legs again thats all....His eyes are bright and he seems alert,  i havnt heard a purr out of him yet though.. but he loves to be gently stroked. 

We have started putting small saucer bowls all around his pen with water as well... Tomorrow i will pick up some small tins of all major cat food brnads and also some cheapies (maybe he was brought up on cheap stuff).  Will also try tuna water and anything else we can t hink of.  Was told he mainly eats around 6pm is but not with gusto, takes nibbles at a time...

There is absolutely nothing on him though to cover up those bones, the vet told me that he had put on abit of weight while at the vets, well its hard to see at the moment.  He is probably the thinnest cat we have had in our care for many a year...I doubt he would of survived much longer....I dont think there is nothing more physically wrong such all in his head, he has no bond with anyone.  I hope we can change that...

Will try and get some photos tomorrow of him....i hope that he continues to do well over the weekend...

Abit strange but we have three ginger cats in our care at the moment, very unusual.... One is female as well poor Momo needs a home though.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 20:42:29 PM »
Awww poor mite, i dont know why i feel so much for him.  when he lays on the floor is it exhaustion do you think ?? does he lie on padding / bed or anything ?

Re vitamins, there are various things you can give but non i can think of that dont taste..however cats LOVE brewers yeast tabs which is good for them so perhaps you could pick up some from the chemist and see if he'll eat them ?

Does he actually drink aswell ?  even tho he's been on fluids for so long that will only really keep him hydrated for a day or two so he now needs to drink.

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 19:23:07 PM »
Going to try that Appaulse food, was meant for my sweeties but think he deserves some!!

At the moment he does have a look around then lays on the floor exhausted...Poor mite.. he is obvioulsy suffering abit being in a small place for so long, stiff joints...

I thought of some vitamin stuff to give him but he came home with no meds at all... Can you buy something to put in water that dosnt taste or something... although he has had alot of IV fluids recently....

Anyhows, he is safe and sound with us and will probably be a long term resident i suppose.

Mark we had Poppy and Indie at the Open Day. Poppy had her hernia op this week and is now with an indoor fosterer.... Indie is waiting for ahome...

Just about all the kittens where rehomed but we have the two young mums to rehomed soon hopefully, they are now all on CatChat....

See U Tomorrow....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 19:10:17 PM »
Thats great news  ;D
I reckon lightly cooked salmon flakes hand fed may be good enough for his lordship or maybe a maccy d's  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 19:08:42 PM »
oh fantastic news, i am sooooooo relieved and chuffed.  Poor man though, imagine all this time since sitting injured in that ladys garden having had a sore mouth and hardly eating he must be struggling with getting an appetite.

maybe he associated food with the sore mouth now aswell and will take a minute to get over that.  I do hope absolutely everything else is A OK with him and in 6 mnths we get fantastic pics of him looking porky with his new owners, wouldnt that be bliss  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 19:04:16 PM »
Great news Sharon. It certainly has been uphill with him but the signs are good it seems. Maybe a good fuss will perk him up. If you need anything, give me a shout - hopefully will see you inHerne Bay tomorrow (shame about the rain)

BTW - who was the black oldy at the open day?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 18:58:48 PM »
Basil is home with us..................!!!
My is he a sorry sight... full of bones... bits of fur missing... can hardly walk due to be in a cage for 2 weeks (nearly!

He is a very fussy eater and will only eat biscuits (GOCAT) and then only in a small bowl not near water... Very finicky... Still he seems alert and not in any pain, but you can feel all his ribs....he wobbles when he walks and is abit unsteady...

Lots of TLC needed for this little man...

Need to go back in 2 wks to have his jaw bit removed...

He seeks you out to be made a fuss of, but cannot jump.. he likes to go in the outside run we  have and has an heated igloo for  heat... Spent a hour with him earlier and someone else will take care of  him the rest of the night...

Will try some nice food this week to get him eating abit more,,, but he just seems to put his nose up at most gourment stuff...

Perhaps when he feels more loved he will come round....

I am glad he made it this far...

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 10:50:01 AM »
Glad Basil is on the mend and hope he is well enough to come out soon

Head kisses to him from my babies

x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
absolutely fantastic news about Basil, i'm so chuffed and praying this recovery keeps on the right road  ;)

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 19:47:09 PM »
Basil continues to improve today, but still at the vets. Now eating on  his own... With luck Thur or Friday he "may" be out,,, but the vets wouldnt commit themselves, we also dont want him to go backwards either...

As for the bill, well i have yet to be shocked! But they seemed to be wiling to negotate with us and hopefully its within our means.  The last bill when he was in there for his op and emergency treatment (we had to do out of hours vet care) was over 300 and now he is has been in the vets a further 9 days already.... However, he hasnt had to much extensive investigation so we are only paying for drugs and board... But i could be wrong... still i hope they realise we are a charity and have limited funds. Espe as on Monday we took in another stray who is at the vets still due to a very high temp in the 40 at least... we hoped he would of improved today but its still very high, so he is in there for another day.  This vets is in Canterbury and not our usual one and they probably want discount us anything! But we will try to convince them otherwise... we were going to get him neutered there but it was going to be another 40 quid compared to our normal vets that charge 21, big difference....

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 08:56:03 AM »
could we not set up a donation section for Basils vet stay??

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 19:50:13 PM »

our finance person is going to have kittens.....

Haven't you got enough already?  :evillaugh:

Glad he's on the mend Sharon. You can relax a bit - just this week's fundraiser to sort out - I'll see you there  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 19:22:43 PM »
oh brilliant news i am pleased  :)

slow progress is still PROGRESS.

so long as he makes a long term recovery blow the fiances.

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 19:12:28 PM »
I rang the vets today and he seems to be improving, eating a little more and seems brighter.  Still at the vets and probably will still be for a few more days....But good news at least..

I dread to think of the bill though our finance person is going to have kittens..... He has been in the vets near enought 10 tens this time and seven before... Our finances have been severely dented to say the least...

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 16:35:59 PM »
Hows wee basil getting on, I have thought of him over the weekend.  I do hope we'll hear of an improvement with him  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »
Hoping Basil makes a speedy recovery and gets back to eating again  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 07:47:34 AM »
On Friday Basil showed abit of improvement but they cannot find any reason why he isnt really eating much..... He is on meds, steriods and pain relief. Will ring today to find out weekend progress... They didnt ring me over the weekend which iwas good as only told them to ring if he went downhill... Lets hope this little puss comes out the vets this week and enjoys some home comforts and TLC!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
Aww, at least it hasnt shown anything too major, but a mystery as to why he is still a bit off. Fingers crossed he is better soon
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 18:51:16 PM »
All the best for your little kitty  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 18:46:26 PM »
Right then, the nice vet rang me.  Bloods are high but within normal range. He may be abit anemic but nothing to bad, just his condition. Nothing wrong with him jaw, he is on pain relief and fluids still.  There are giving him steriods and also managed to get some food in him, he seems fine in himself but is okay one minute and poorly the next.  Generally taking notice of things...

He only vomitted once today but managed to keep the rest of the food down... Generally alot better then on Monday but still dehydrated.  Fluds have been reduced abit....

The reckon the problem is not the jaw or pain something else... Although we dont know much about his history at all so the vets are covering all bases.  I am more confident they are doing as much as they can to help and they arent penny pinching either. 

Nothing has come back ontowards with bloods... he has been FIV tested and fine....

Abit of a mystery, but generally abit better then yesterday...

Will ring again tomorrow.........

Thanks all for your kind words... The nurses have passed on hugs and kisses to him.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
I cant honestly say i'm aware of a diazepam tab working in the same way amanda but dont doubt it would..probably not such a great effect but the iv is astounding, not that its a commonly used method but useful to have as an "option"

I did quizz re the painkiller and he is apparently getting altho i dont know which type so your right perhaps whatever he is getting isnt maybe the most effective for him.

I do hope we hear he has picked up today  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 07:38:43 AM »
Fingers crossed he is better today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 23:30:37 PM »
I'm curious about the tranquilizer method. Lynn suggested valium earlier. I wondered if it's the equivilent of "the munchies" (not that I know about stuff like that you understand  :-: )

I hope he is feeling brighter soon.

PS - I don't know how the blue bar is appearing at the bottom of my message.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 23:32:15 PM by Mark »

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 22:37:45 PM »
I hope he starts to get his appetite back soon, the poor little man has been through so much. The other thing is i wonder if he is getting the correct level of pain relief. Lyn i don`t know how you found it when you were working in practice but some vets seem to hold back a bit with pain relief just because a cat (or any animal) isn`t screaming its head off in obvious discomfort. I know it would be hard to approach this subject with your vet but it might be an idea. Also as he is on fluids and is not eating you have to be quite careful about the choice of drugs and the effect it will have on his kidneys if he is dehydrated. Something like Vetergesic would probably be the best as opposed to things like Rimadyl and Metacam. A 2mg Diazepam tablet is another very good way to get cats eating, it`s quite amazing to watch how quickly they can polish off an entire bowl of food as i`m sure Lyn will agree with!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 22:00:59 PM »
fingers crossed he feels better in morning and is starving  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 21:37:55 PM »
Thanks Lyn
Will have a read and also speak to them again tomorrow......Ive had good reports at this vets. so i hope nothing is amiss...
Nothing more i can do until then..but i am keen for them to do something........asap.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 20:53:57 PM »
Have mailed you  :)

Just read your last post again...what a shame that lady watched him sitting under a bush for a whole week..i know she obviously didnt realise but the poor boy sitting their cold, hungry, thirsty and in pain  :(

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 18:37:44 PM »
Hi Lyn
Thanks alot...
As far as we are aware he had the jaw injury a week, got taken in over the last bank holiday on Sunday. They stablised him for a day or so (very dehydrated) and did the op on Wed after xrays revealed the jaw problem so,  he had the injury a good week before we picked him up.  He was on fluids and was eating on Thur, Friday. We picked him up on Friday, he went to a fosterer abit further away in a pen (as we had no room at that time) Over the weekend he didnt eat much and couldnt get his tablets down either. Our welfare officer (vet nurse as well) went by and gave him some food (via syringe) and also injection of Metacam for pain relief.  He wasnt alot better the next day and got moved to us overnight on Sunday.......We got him to the vets on Monday.......... first thing......

If its just a matter of not eating then hopefully they can tube him for a while to get fluid and food in......However, if its something else (dread the thought) I suppose will have to see tomorrow....Not sure what else to do....They dont seem overly worried about him...but I am....!! Wish there was more to do..Wish someone had contacted us earlier anyhows....It was an emergency call over the weekend... I can only imagine if the lady had not responded to us.He would probably of been picked up by the RSPCA and been PTS.........

As it was the lady was in London and just thought to ring us on the afterthought, he was sitting in a bush in her garden for at least a week she assumed he belonged to someone........

I dont think he is an senior puss or young either between 5 and 8 say... just his condition makes him look older... He does purr and seems to enjoy a stroke... not aggessive or anything........

Whatever advise you can give much appreciated.. Although I am not qualified to say anything for armed with ideas would be good... 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 18:03:37 PM »
Gentle head rubs to Basil, i hope hes soon :feed:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 17:42:01 PM »
when did the injury take place approx ?? i'm wondering if its healing / in place properly.

of course lots of vibes..this type of thing is where real nursing comes into its own and you CAN often make a difference (given the time and opportunity of course)

If he doesnt start to eat voluntarily i'm worried as from experience force feeding a cat esp with a smashed jaw just isnt acceptable or fair.  I am like you and really hoping they havent missed something but i am boggled as to why an earth they are not doing some sort of tube feeding, He's gone so many days now with barely anything to eat its worrying as you know yourself very well they need to eat to get their appetite in the first place.

i'm going to have a lookie for relevant info for you so you are armed with info but i'll do it after tea and prob kids bedtime ok dokes (me sausages need turning LOL) will pm you later  :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 16:34:06 PM »
 :hug: sending good vibes to you......

Blip-that piccie of your cat looks just lile my Smudge :)

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 15:48:31 PM »
Well they have managed to force feed him a little bit. Still on painkillers and have taken some more bloods....He seems alert but not eaten much.  Mentioned the vialium trick and they will see if they can do that if they think it will  help......Hope the bloods come up normal like......... Will ring tomorrow noon to find out more....

I suspect not eating is a side effect of his injury....., not that unusual.....just we want him to feel better.......He is still alert, which is good i suppose......

I forget the name of the drug mentioned earlier, what is it usualy used for?
Thanks people, keep  up those vibes......

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 13:25:56 PM »
Postive vibes for Basil pls everyone.......

You - and he - can count on mine  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
I am worried about the mite as well..Sometimes vets make them not want to eat..  I will mention that drug to the vets when I ring later on today.....But i hope he picks up and eats something.....Not sure how long they can give fluids for..........

I will be most upset (very upset) if something else is amiss as they had him in alll last week, xrays and bloods, all looked normal. Bloods were within range of normal (although one was high end of normal)> I know that he wasnt thin a few weeks back but we know that his jaw injury occured a week before we were notified...So he probably hadnt been eating alot all week... He was eating at the vets last week as well... Very strange......I just wonder if he is so depressed.........He will certaintly be coming back to me to nurse........But feel the vets need to do more.. They didnt seem to worried about him when i spoke today, which i suppose is good.

Postive vibes for Basil pls everyone.......

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 12:17:03 PM »
aw poor lad i can see how terribly thin he is.  I am really suprised that your vet is waiting to see if he eats on his own.  the longer he goes without food the less inclined he'll get to eat and also he might feel abit squeemish with hunger.

theres a drug that is sometimes used called "periactin" giving cats a bigger appetite is a side effect really but it has been used often for that desired side effect.  also a small amount of IV valium can sometimes be useful..you have to have a full bowl of food sitting in front of them, inject valium and they wolf down the bowl of food immediately (i dont know if they actually know the reason for this but it does work)...sometimes just this once or twice can get the notion for them to use their mouths to eat if that makes sense.

I just want to come and sit and nurse him for some reason.  :hug:

Link to CatChat