Author Topic: Frontline application  (Read 5021 times)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
Re: Frontline application
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 17:02:44 PM »
yup - it's usually 3 falls and a submission for Cosmo (it's his turn this w/end  :scared:) - I'll pin him down and get OH to apply wretched stuff to back of his neck, whilst  :censored: cat does his Zorro impression >:(...

I have all the w/end dates marked in my calendar and we still leave it 'til the last possible time on Sunday 'cos we're chicken  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
the sound seems to carry thorough the house - I have even tried wrapping it, and my hand, in a towel to muffle it. They know i am up to no good, and they are off :censored: little things

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
I always snap the vial out of their view!!
Please spay your cat

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 22:43:21 PM »
thats why we love cats, they are smart, but not smart enough to know when we are doing it for their own good.
I am just happy my cat sleeps in her cary box that I take her to the vets in, so there isn't a fight to get her in it.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 21:18:40 PM »
Has anyone noticed any strange behaviour in their cats after using Frontline?  Max gets all wild-eyed and has a wee mad turn which lasts around 20 minutes, alternately hiding and charging around the house. 

Mine do that too. I think the application of liquid at the base of the skull does it to them. And when the sound of snapping vials starts, cats disappear with alacrity!!

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 21:03:08 PM »
empty the pippet on her neck, then she wakes up, gives me a filthy look, waves her arse in my face and ignores me for the rest of the day.

LOL - all of our cats have that same reaaction!  ;D

We too have to do it when they're sleepy and generally we have to do Sully first (as if he sees the others being done, he hides up), next it's Suki who doesnt mind too much (is getting used to it it appears), and then Jasper (who really doesnt mind at all!).

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 17:52:07 PM »
i find the best way is to make a middle parting in the fur..hot slightly sweaty hands or a drip of water rubbed into fingers then apply the frontline onto the skin down the visable line.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 16:34:27 PM »
A friend who has four furballs takes hers to the vet for a worm and anti-flea injection. I know this isn't as good, because the fleas have to bite before dying, but it could save all the hassle. I prefer frontline and try to cuddle them on my lap, frontline at the ready, and wait till they're purring and think they're safe, then I pounce.

It doesn't work though, they still struggle and try to hide if they get away!

I do the same thing, get the brush out, let her fall asleep then empty the pippet on her neck, then she wakes up, gives me a filthy look, waves her arse in my face and ignores me for the rest of the day. Then I argue with her and say "well get bloody fleas then and see how you like it!"

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 13:30:26 PM »
I know! their fur was wet for ages after :(
Caroline xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
I do mine across, but spread it across about 3 rows, as this spread the FL better and seems to keep it on the skin, not on the fur. There's usually a sticky mess anyway, afterwards.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
Do you put your frontline on your cat or kitten across (straight line) or down (straight line) because we put it on downwards and it was a 0.5 pipette for our kittens :thanks:
Caroline xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 23:00:31 PM »
Thanks MM, I'll text her about this.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 16:27:46 PM »
I think program for fleas is great if you have a difficult or feral cat you dont want to be messing with regularly. I dont think my lot would like a visit every 6 months tho.
HK, does your friend know that the injectable wormer, Droncit, only covers for tapeworm? There was a post before where the vet hadnt told the owner roundworm wouldnt be affected  :innocent:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
A friend who has four furballs takes hers to the vet for a worm and anti-flea injection. I know this isn't as good, because the fleas have to bite before dying, but it could save all the hassle. I prefer frontline and try to cuddle them on my lap, frontline at the ready, and wait till they're purring and think they're safe, then I pounce.

It doesn't work though, they still struggle and try to hide if they get away!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
Me too Ela.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:22 AM »
If I switch to Stronghold do I have to wait a month after last using Frontline

I think it would be prudent to wait the full month before applying another treatment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 17:03:23 PM »
If I switch to Stronghold do I have to wait a month after last using Frontline or are they different drugs so no cumulative effect anyway?  Of course since I started talking about them I can't find any more of the wee blighters anyway!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 21:42:02 PM »
i must be hard on mine, I very rarely lose - Molly is the hardest, she is the most skittish out of hte two, and most of the things I have to do to her are done on teh windowsill as that is her bolthole!! No one else would attempt it with her, they would think the growling meant a nasty cat that would attack, but she is all noise.
Stronghold is a prescription only item, you would be able to get it online, but would have to get a prescription from the vets first.
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 21:36:59 PM »
i use frontline for a bit then swap to strong hold for a bit
i try to sneek up on them and de flea them but they get suspicious and leg it  :rofl:
oh holds one of them and i pop it on them ,
the only pet owner visitors we have is my mum and all her cats and dog are deflead regularlly i should know as i buy it for her and have done for the last 5 yrs but thats another story  :rofl: :rofl:

mine are all indoor cats
but obviously the dog goes out and rolls around in the grass etc

if i found a lfea then id be  :censored:angry considering the time and money i spend making sure they r all deflead n wormed

closing this post now as im itchy  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :sick:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 21:36:19 PM »
Thanks Desley - believe me, I've tried every technique going ... I'm not as mean as I sound but softly, softly with my 2 = flea-ridden cats behind sofa!  They are well rewarded with treats afterwards!
Is Stronghold from the vets too or available on line?  Are there different versions?

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 21:32:29 PM »
Thanks Des, but she just susses me straight away. I'm going to stick to boys, I've found my lads to be all a bit dim and much easier to do things like that to!

I'm at the vets next week with a new foster dog anyway, so I might get some stronghold and give that a try if I've not managed to get the frontline on by then.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 21:28:13 PM »
Sue, I always open it before the cats are around, and fuss them first, before goig in for it!!
Catnap, you might want to try Stronghold occasionally too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 21:19:52 PM »
I hope no-one ever witnesses the performance we go through each month as soon as the Frontline vial comes out! - 2 grown adults rugby tackling 2 small cats (one at a time) and sitting on them until the dirty deed is done  :evillaugh:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 21:02:23 PM »
I'm so glad this thread is going! I'm having trouble defleaing my Buffy. As soon as I snap open the frontline applicator she blinks her eyes like there's smoke in them and won't come near me. I've left it open to acclimatise (if you know what I mean) but still when I put it near her she knows straight away and legs it. The rest of the house were done yesterday but it's important she is too as Bobby has flea allergy. When I do manage to get it on Buffy she always manages to lick it and it always seems to affect her eyes like they're hurting. I may have to speak to the vet about an alternative for her.
 :censored: creatures!

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 17:40:36 PM »
Yes, they are wormed regularly too.  Has anyone noticed any strange behaviour in their cats after using Frontline?  Max gets all wild-eyed and has a wee mad turn which lasts around 20 minutes, alternately hiding and charging around the house.  His skin doesn't look sore and he does settle down eventually so not sure if he's just cross or if it does actually do something strange to him.  Vets are puzzled!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 17:18:24 PM »
I'd suggest carrying on with your treatments but treat your house again.

I agree, it is perhaps necessary to spray your house once a year with something like Staykill. Also please remember to worm regularly as a cat with fleas will almost certainly have tapeworm.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 17:15:10 PM »
Frontline is very effective but obviously a flea can land on them and it will take a few hours or so (not sure how many but i'd say up to 24hrs) for the flea to die (it has to come into contact with the oils of the cat)

if they are indoors then either you still have the flea problem in your furnishings/carpets etc or somehow fleas are getting into your house (do you have pet owner visitors or do you visit them ?)

I'd suggest carrying on with your treatments but treat your house again.

Offline Catnap

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 17:08:28 PM »
Does anyone know if fleas can get resistant to treatment?  I treat Max and Willow every month with  Frontline Combo but still find the odd flea when I comb them.  They are house cats and the house was treated a few months back too.  Although Frontline is my vet's treatment of choice has anyone had a good experience of any alternatives?  (Max isn't quite a year old yet.)

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »

Although I feel sorry for cats with earmites, I love cleaning the ears out, and when the cat shakes its head after the ear treatment has been applied and the brown stiuff get everywhere,  ;D

:rofl:

Tilly had bad ear mites when I first got her, I had to clean them constantly.
I know what you mean about cleaning them though  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
Worst with ear mite treatments,

Although I feel sorry for cats with earmites, I love cleaning the ears out, and when the cat shakes its head after the ear treatment has been applied and the brown stiuff get everywhere,  ;D

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 21:16:22 PM »
 :rofl:

Then there fur goes all yucky  :rofl:

Worst with ear mite treatments, poor Tillys ears were all greasy looking for days bc she kept moving  :rofl:

xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Frontline application
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »
Today is deflea day, i hate doing Lola as it doesnt matter where i apply the spot on she manages to smear it down her and lick it! She has to be the most flexible cat i know  >:(
Todays trick was to scratch it with a back foot down the shoulder, then stick grit into it and finish off by licking the toe, salivating and dripping over the carpet! Doesnt she know how much money i spend on keeping her parasite free!

Link to CatChat