Author Topic: Weed killer that isn't harmful to cats?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Weed killer that isn't harmful to cats?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »
would a steam cleaner work?

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 19:38:56 PM »
This is what I thought, I've never used chemicals but thought it would be worth a try! I'm going to invest in a burner I think as my path really is awkward- I can do th pation with a bit of determination but that path is a whole different story!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 18:02:54 PM »
The best solution is to do the same as us - just leave it and call it wildlife habitat  :evillaugh:

I was in B&Q today and had a look in case there was anything. As someone already said, Roundup claims to be safe as long as it is allowed to dry completely. My question is, does it reactivate if it rains again?  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 19:21:13 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 16:42:51 PM »
Its very hard to get anythiong safe now and even if it is you will not beable to tell cos they are sticking eveery warning on all just incase.......I wish they would just be trueful rather than trying to cover themselves!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 13:50:33 PM »
we've got a little hook thing that clears weeds out of cracks, its very quick

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 21:53:05 PM »
I've always used salt.  However, you have to wait for a red hot sunny day!!!!!! :rofl:

Cover the weed in salt and the sun shrivels them up.  Works every time BUT as I say you need the sun.  Get praying  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 20:53:56 PM »
Rather than use chemicals you can buy burners which incinerate weeds in paving without chemicals.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
I have a block paving patio about 20ft square, it takes me a couple of days but when its nice I start at one end and slowly go through it. I hate using chemicals where I can avoid it. My neighbour sadly is not like that and I worry quite a bit.....

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
I've occasionally resorted to Roundup- it's supposed to be about as animal/child friendly as weedkiller gets.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Does anyone else here use weed killer? If so, which is the most animal friendly if handled with care? 

Weed killer is evil stuff, Debsymiller.  I can only recommend that you do the weeding by hand in small, manageable chunks: or invite some friends round for a weeding and wine party (I resorted to that once, in my old place  ;)).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Weed killer that isn't harmful to cats?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
My path really needs some weed killer on it but I am too worried to do it. (There's grass inbetween every single bit of crazy pathing so too much for me to pull out) If I get one which is only harmful when wet I can do it overnight so they won't be in but I worry about the neighbour's cats as they are allowed out at night. I also worry about the wind blowing the grass with the weed killer on it through the bunnies bars (Probably far fetched) and them eating it- something that has happened to my collegue's wife and her bunny died as a result. (Her neighbour had 'kindly' put weed killer on the dandilion patch she fed her bunnies from even though it was in her garden! >:( :'()

Does anyone else here use weed killer? If so, which is the most animal friendly if handled with care? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:11:08 PM by Debsymiller (Rufus' mum) »

Link to CatChat