Author Topic: National blood bank for cats and dogs  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: National blood bank for cats and dogs
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 23:41:38 PM »
Thanks Christine too cos I am pretty sure I know my blood group and seems I am in a small percentage that can receive blood from almost any category!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 23:33:19 PM »
Thanks very much for explaining it Lynn and agree this is fascinating subject and I guess in years to come the public in general will be much more aware of this.  ;D

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 18:18:31 PM »
So is it all volunteer donated blood at vets then ? Or ( sorry ) do they ' utilise ' healthy stray animals brought in for euthanisation ? I'm so cynical.
If you do donate does the blood go free to a cat, or do us slaves have to pay the vet for the blood as well as the procedure ?

This is a great thought provoking thread, I'd thought about organ donation before but never even considered the blood thing.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 17:40:15 PM »
The blood group subject is absolutely fascinating (well, it is to me  :evillaugh:) and for others who are interested, here is the Wikipedia entry on human blood groups with a link to the entry on animal blood groups: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 16:05:12 PM »
sorry typo, meant blood transfusion not test.

Gill as with humans they have types of blood.  More than we humans have (specific number for dogs and cats but i'd have to look it up as i cant remember it)

As you probably know with humans its very important to match the type of blood, if in doubt and you had to give some blood i think the type O (or whichever one is the most common - like me lol) is the safest to give coz its a better bet than the person needing it may also have that type and also (i think but not certain on this) it may be less likely to cause such severe reactions.

Now with dogs, the way their body and immune system work you could give a dog any type of other dog blood and it would be ok, Only if you then gave that dog yet another unmatched blood transfusion would it run into problems (to do with the antibodies etc - its actually a very complicated response that goes on but coz they;ve had foreign blood already they will then have antibodys to attack any future foreign blood so its really important to then give them blood that the body will think is its own)

In cats however they are apparently very sensitive and you dont get the luxury of a first time being ok as the majority of them will have almost immediate physalogical response and can rapidly lead to death (some may be lucky of course as every living body is individual)   so in an emergency situ no i wouldnt advise any one to let their cat be given unmatched blood , but then it isnt so clear cut as that when that emergency situ arises and of course the vet usually knows best or would know nothing could be done if the cat was dying in front of your eyes and you didnt have a clue why.  That situations are extremely rare (thankfully) and normally even in emergencys the owners or veterinary staff have a fairly good idea why and if not usually normal testing points to certain likely directions.

I of course researched this many years ago but will have to go and do so again tomorrow as i'm off out taking kids to their halloween parties.

What i will say though is if blood banks were to be more freely available in more normal practices then we would have to make the choice to have our cats blood type tested at an early age so it was on their records as that cannot be done (as far as i know) in normal practice and would have to be sent away to lab, so in emergency you'd want that info to hand.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 15:39:30 PM »
all of this is new to me so apologies if this is stupid

I am convinced it was the blood test that sped things up and made them die in the same manner that they did and i'd never stand back and watch anyone do that in an emergency situation again. 

what do you mean  Lynn, that you wouldnt watch  unmatched blood be given to a cat? 

So if one of our cats was in an emergency sutuation and a vet said that was what they were going to do, should we refuse or what should be done?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 15:27:00 PM »
Angie i know exactly how that cat died.  I too have seen this twice.  Ok to be fair on my boss both cats (unrelated in different years) came in with sudden onset acute unknown undiagnosable illness on the brink of death,  both times immediately bloods carried out first (along with oxogen treatments etc any other first aid stuff) and both had almost no red blood cell levels so as they were obviously going to die in last ditch attempts they were given an unmatched blood transfusion (from a safe and known healthy / viral free source - nurses cat in flat upstairs)  the first one immediately went into what was like a spasm, looked in pain and basically died.  The second cat like i said a year or two later and bascially the same presentation of illness - totally collapsed, barely conscious etc etc also had blood as the first time one could have said what ever illness it had caused the death but it died within minutes of the transfusion aswell in the same manner so although again it couldnt be proved and catagorically both cats were going to die within the hour anyway and neither owners wanted post mortems or further testing (much to our frustrations) I am convinced it was the blood test that sped things up and made them die in the same manner that they did and i'd never stand back and watch anyone do that in an emergency situation again. 

I feel my boss did the right thing both times, there was nothing he or anyone could do and it was worth the million to one shot but maybe this is why i think animal blood banks is a good idea, however i wouldnt go so far to say i agree with organ transplants (this has probably been done already)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 15:19:25 PM »
I'm in two minds.

I dont want to stress my babes out by making the donate. BUT if they ever needed blood, I would like to think there was some there for them.

I would donate mine to them, if they could have it.

I'm the same but if they did it along with bloods instead of a separate procedure, maybe that would be OK?
I guess it will be an expensive business as I guess they can only take a small amount at a time and will have to test each one separately.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 15:17:06 PM »
How do we go about putting our cats on the register? Is it just a tell the vet thing? I'd happily put Bilbo on it as he adores going to the vets and doesn't notice needles at all.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 15:12:30 PM »
'vets now' have got in on this bandwagon.
about 10 years ago my vet did a transfer and told me that with cats they were all safe the first time. The recepient cat died in agony........and to think this is the vet I have now just gone back to as the better of the bunch around here :'(

I'm not sure where this is all going to lead to. I expect it will be organ donation soon and higher vets bills and pet insurance which will end in responsible pet owners deciding they can't afford to have animals leaving the irresponsible to do want they want with a further reduction in animal care across the country.

SIGHHHHHH

My cat owning days are defo on the decline - I've promised no more new ones and its quite a serious thought at the moment.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 15:01:10 PM »
They of course need testing for everything that can be tested for before hand ie fiv/felv and haemobartonella (i think if i remember rightly)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 13:18:50 PM »
I'm in two minds.

I dont want to stress my babes out by making the donate. BUT if they ever needed blood, I would like to think there was some there for them.

I would donate mine to them, if they could have it.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 13:06:29 PM »
There is - my girls are on it.

On a local level if you have a large, healthy cat who doesn't mind needles too much, let your vet know that you would be happy for them to donate blood if it were needed.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 13:05:08 PM »
There is a register for cats already set up   ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
Oh for big Hi Tec practise with 24 on call ...........sigh

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »
Vet universitys (where most if not all have normal high standard veterinary businesses & where you go for referal etc)  Have always kept or had the use of greyhounds for blood transfusions, they natually have a higher rbc level and blood volume plus usually calm.

With dogs (if i can get this right) you can give 1 blood transfusion unmatched safely, subsequent ones need to be matched)

However with cats an unmatched sample can (mostly is) be fatal.

I hope the costs could come down abit though and maybe be more accessable even if only in the big hi tech practices,

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
National blood bank for cats and dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »
I was interested to read this but I wonder how it would work for cats?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7069542.stm
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat