Author Topic: Quick question regarding prescriptions  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Quick question regarding prescriptions
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 19:43:23 PM »
There is a clause that allows them to charge reasonable costs for paper etc but i dont think many bother.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »
well in that case, if they refuse then report the blighters.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
the vet surgery might have a particular in-house policy. Possibly this would allow them to circumvent this law, on the basis that you have a choice of vets ........ but it would have to be a written policy and they would probably also be required to have it conspiciously displayed in the waiting/reception area .........

Nope, there is no way round it, check out the links I posted a bit further down - it's against the law to refuse and/or charge for issuing one.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
I do not think any inhouse policy could get round the laws and if they write it down and diplay it , it provides evidence that they are breaking the law.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »
yep the competition and free trade laws would definitely cover it, but the vet surgery might have a particular in-house policy. Possibly this would allow them to circumvent this law, on the basis that you have a choice of vets ........ but it would have to be a written policy and they would probably also be required to have it conspiciously displayed in the waiting/reception area .........

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »
(NOTE I put "prunes" myself rather than having it changed for me. hehe I'm getting good arent I  :rofl:)

:evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »
NOTE i put "prunes" myself rather than having it changed for me hehe i'm getting good arnt i

10/10, It would be a shame to upset someone wouldn't it? Trouble is newbies may think you are nuts (hope that is not considered  an upsetting words to someone). ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 22:12:31 PM »
I have to budget really carefully, so if Old Mog does need regular medication I'll have to ask for a prescription. I already buy a regular supply of caninsulin from them, they can't have everything!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 21:27:53 PM »
Makes me cross how ars*y some vets can get about giving you a prescription. Mine make me feel really bad for asking but the amount of money they'll be getting off of me per year I am now brave enough to ask for a prescription to save myself £2.50 on a Milbemax tablet!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 21:22:08 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 21:12:30 PM »
I also thought they had to give you a prescription and not charge for it either.

The only time i have asked for one was for Stronghold and although my vet did it, it was clear he wasnt happy about it but tough prunes !!

(NOTE i put "prunes" myself rather than having it changed for me hehe i'm getting good arnt i  :rofl:)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 15:37:00 PM »
I asked my vet who said "we don't do that
Thats naughty as legally they are supposed to offer an alternative source, although iv never been offered it, if i ask i will get.
If she is hyper t then you will save a small fortune buying online, they have to see her regularly for her to be "under their care" but she will need regular checks anyway.
If she is i hope she stabilises quickly and doesnt need too many tests.

Q. How do I get a prescription for my pet?
  You can only get a prescription for your pet by visiting your veterinary surgeon. It works the same as getting a prescription from your doctor for yourself. After a clinical examination your vet will decide if your pet needs an item known as a prescription only medicine. They can then either write out a prescription themselves or before attending your appointment you can print off a superstarpets prescription and they can fill this in. It is an offence for your vet to refuse to supply you with a prescription. A prescription should always be offered to you and your vet is not allowed to charge you for writing a prescription.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 13:14:02 PM »
My vets were always fine about it and used to ask me when I took Tiggy for her monthly jabs whether I needed another prescription, if I rang up they would need 24 hours notice but I think that's fair enough.  I have to give my Doctors 48 hrs notice so was actually getting a better service from the vets!

Below is taken from the bestpetpharmacy website http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/faq_info.asp

The law changed in 2003, allowing pharmacies to dispense veterinary medication http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/2003/478vetmeds.htm The purpose of that was to create competition in the market with the aim of reducing pet medication prices for members of the public. Traditional High Street pharmacies tend not to stock medicine for animals. Bestpet Pharmacy started up to offer a lower priced alternative (compared to vets) to buying medication for your pet

In October 2005 the law was changed again to prevent vets charging their customers for providing prescriptions
  http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052751.htm

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »
Mine always make you wait at least 24 hours before you can pick a prescription up from them and they begrudge doing it  (so far I've only asked for prescriptions for Milbemax).

As far as I understand it the vets have to give you a prescription free of charge if you ask for one (they might just whinge at you about it lol)

When Boopy had to have antibiotics I bought them from the vet as she had to start them that day and they worked out at £1 a tablet but online they are about 36p a tablet! I will keep that in mind for future if they need antibiotics but don't have to start them that day.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:37:53 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »
Thanks Gill. Thinking ahead....having checked up a few more sites on HyperT I think Old Mog may have it.  She does the manic running around at 4 in the morning, doesn't groom especially well these days and a couple of other things that I can't remember at this moment in time!

I might browse and see if I can see which law it is that stipulates they have to give me a prescription.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
I understand by law they have to do that but I dont know which law grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, only have seen it posted on here so hopefully others, maybe Milliesmum will be able to advise. Or Lynn.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Quick question regarding prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Am I allowed, by law to get a prescription for medication from my vets if the treatment is ongoing?

I asked my vet who said "we don't do that." Surely, legally they have to otherwise they're endangering an animals wellbeing?

Link to CatChat