Author Topic: TICK  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: TICK
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 02:32:31 AM »
It was seeing a tick on the Jumpster's ear that pursuaded me to remove him from my eldest's care...  >:( He'd been spending most of his time down the meadow and had picked up 2 of the horrid little swines.  :sick: One was so swollen it was almost as big as his ear!

I just got hold of the thing with twisers and pulled. The Jumpster squeeled. When it did come off, all his fur underneath was gone so it must have been there for days...  :(

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 22:48:04 PM »
Ela, not sure you could call them lovely but they certainly are interesting!

Luckily I've not had any on the cats and dogs, but I'm helping a lady with hedgehogs lately and the last one I collected was COVERED in ticks, poor little thing. We spent the best part of an hour getting the big ones off but there were still many many small ones attached that had to be removed with cooking oil. The hedgehog was only a baby (approx 8 weeks) and some of the ticks were so big, it looked like they had grown up with the hedgehog, she was really anaemic but luckily is recovering well. I will see her tomorrow when I take another one!

After this rescue mission though, I hadn't managed to spray the car (I know some of the little blighters were roaming in the front seats!) and then the alarm broke and the car went to the garage.........they are taking their time in fixing it (almost 2 weeks now!) so I'm wondering if any of the garage men will inherit a few ticks?!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »
I've never seen one, never want to...

They are lovely things if you look closely you see all the little legs moving. My worst tick experience was when I pulled one out, as as its head popped out the tick went into the air and as it landed on the floor started to walk off. I couldn't tread on it so I ran in and got the Frontline spray.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »
Reading this gave me the creeps, even the animated pictures made me  :sick:

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:50:29 AM »
Ewwww, conversations like this make me itch!! I've never seen one, never want to... I didn't know the heads came off!!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
When we lived in Germany Ticks were a real problem, our vet over there always said turn it anticlockwise when removing and this takes the head out - horrible things >:(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 18:28:00 PM »
Iv never had to deal with a tick but have a gadget just incase. My vets say to put some frontline on a cotton bud and wipe the tick with it and leave it and it will fall off in one piece. Im not sure i could see it for 24 hours tho  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 18:18:11 PM »
The last 2 times I have been to the vet, he said stronghold is changing soon to include a tick killer. He said its because of the climate change that ticks are becoming a problem in this country.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 18:01:40 PM »
oooooooo I want one of those gizmos. What a clever idea!!

They are very cheapo.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 15:56:48 PM »
oooooooo I want one of those gizmos. What a clever idea!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 15:26:12 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 13:25:21 PM »
tricky. try a little metholated spirits on the wound. it might encourage the 'mouth' to release, or it might not. But worth a try. For future reference, removing a tick requires you to actually place the tweezers on either side of the tick on the animal's skin before you squeeze. A drop of kitchen oil sometimes works as it makes it hard for the tick to breathe and they often drop off of their own accord shortly after you apply it. We get lots of ticks in oz (i've had them myself after a camping trip). Lovely little critters - not

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 13:09:07 PM »
i cant, i threw the tick down the loo

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 13:01:55 PM »
It's the head that does the damage. If you did not get it out then the cat may still be receiving little injections of tick poison which will lead to paralysis and in worst case scenario, death. If the cat survives all that it will develop an infection at the site where the head is still in the skin. take the tic to someone with a microscope to make sure you have removed the head.

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
TICK
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »
i just pulled a tick off Bruiser with tweezers but not sure I have done the right thing.  It came out whole legs a kicking.  i have never had to deal with ticks before on any of my animals

was having a quick look on here to see if i could find anything and i see you all recommend frontline.

my vet always gives 'advantage', but i just looked at the packet and it says fleas only, doesnt mention anything about ticks.

going to check the rest of the herd, but do i need to take him back into the vets?

thanks

Amanda

Link to CatChat