Author Topic: fleas aaaaahhhhh!  (Read 3654 times)

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
Re: fleas aaaaahhhhh!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 18:36:48 PM »
i was totally oblivious to the whole flea treatment thing and thought collars were enough, until i found this forum

now they are frontlined and the house has a sprinkle of indorex and so far diddly fleas about  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »
The bottom line is that every treatment has a risk however, the treatments available from the vets and the ones  that have recently been made none POM and are available from Pet pharmacies are the treatments that  have a proven record and are relatively safe if used correctly, also very importantly WORK, where as the treatments that were never POM are as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Over the years I have dealt with numerous cases where people have wanted their cat re-homed because a cat or more usually cat has fleas/worms.  Once ascertained that is the real reason and  confirmed that the owner has been using preparations available for pet shops and Supermarkets,  We have given advise and often arranged for the cat/s to go to the vets for an initial treatment with the preparations we and the vet  recommend. Also advice has been given about spraying the home once a year again with something like Staykill, not the cheapo stuff you get from normal shops. I can think of no time when the owner has not called back, the problem solved and the cat can  continue to live at home.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:50:04 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on (the one in the silver package and has pyriproxfen as the active ingredient ), its a frontline clone

Frontline is Fipronil so its not a clone, some one told you a porky  :rofl:

Clone in the sense that both products are growth inhibitors (IGR's) and stop and kill fleas and ticks.
Panadol and Anadin are different trade names but in effect do the same job.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 21:01:53 PM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on (the one in the silver package and has pyriproxfen as the active ingredient ), its a frontline clone

Frontline is Fipronil so its not a clone, some one told you a porky  :rofl:

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
There was no doubt that your not a responsible pet owner Goatboy, just wanted you to know these products don't work and they could do more harm than good.  :)

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on  it lasts for 3 months. costs around £7.

So that's £14 for 6 months worth. Frontline from VetUK is about £15 for 6 months worth. Surely your cats life is worth the extra 4p a week! Flea and worm preparations from pet shops and supermarkets at best don't work as well and at worst can cause a cat to become seriously ill or die.

Blimey.... I did say I bought it as an emergency as I was taking Oz to the Vets and didn't want her picking up any fleas, as up until then she was a house cat. I did research the ingredients of the flea treatment I was using, and did see the reports for other types and made sure I stayed well away from them.
I agree that frontline is an amazing product, and now buy it on-line for myself and my next door neighbour (doesn't have the internet and said I could do a bulk order and get a better discount)
I would do everything I can to help Ozzy have a very long and enjoyable life, I am a responsible owner, she is chipped, insured and registered with the missing pets bureau ( who also have copies of my insurance documents and the name of my vets) just in case something happens to her. Even considering buying a tracking system so I can find her if she goes missing. Have tried strapping a GPS to her back but she kept wriggling out of it  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »
Some stupid person  put some of the named flea treatment in Gills reply on to their two cats. It was meant for a dog.   Both cats became very ill, one died and the other was in the vets for a week.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 00:37:59 AM »
I'd see if you can get a rescue to loan you a trap. Once you've caught puss, you can whizz her down to the vets to be scanned. Is she wasn't got a chip, release her with a collar and a note....  :wow:

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 00:29:17 AM »
We are trying with the other cat.. Really are.. Have left a bowl and the window to the garage is open with a clean bed in it (the cars aren't using it at present, the garage that is, not the bed lol)

Really just want to know if it's got an owner, but am starting to feel it hasn't or is very lost or has just got an irresponsible one. As I said getting much thinner, and the sneaky suspicion of fleas..

(I don't mean fleas equal an irresponsible owner)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 00:33:31 AM by Annie »

ccmacey

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 23:05:11 PM »
Yes Annie they probabily are. Please try and sort the other cat out, are you feeding it?

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 23:01:31 PM »
OOO I have a flea question haha...

Our cats have been getting frontlined, (every 4 weeks at the moment as they seem to be more apparant). The house has been cleaned from top to bottom. Yet a few fleas are still about..

Now I have a sneaky suspicion that it's something to do with our recent furry visitor.. basically there's this black cat that hangs around in our gardens (back, overgrown front and front lawn).. Now could it be that Sam/Susie/Fluffy could be bringing them in off of this cat?...

We're not sure if the cat is owned, as it's getting thinner by the day and doesn't trust us yet so can't do paper collar (but I guess that's all for another thread)...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 22:26:50 PM »
I have to say, goatboy, I simply don't trust anything you can buy in a supermarket.  :shify: And I'm old enough, just!, to remember when this type of flea treatment came about. It was hailed as a revolution and for the first time, pets could be flea free without the stress of aerosols, or limited effectiveness of powder.... but then much loved pets started to die.  :(

I know I can trust Frontline, so I cough up the extra. It's not worth taking the risk on shop bought stuff, and most of it's useless anyway...  ;)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 21:55:22 PM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on  it lasts for 3 months. costs around £7.

So that's £14 for 6 months worth. Frontline from VetUK is about £15 for 6 months worth. Surely your cats life is worth the extra 4p a week! Flea and worm preparations from pet shops and supermarkets at best don't work as well and at worst can cause a cat to become seriously ill or die.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 21:49:36 PM »
Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment

The product is NOT sold at veterinary clinics, but is available over the counter (at pet  stores, supermarkets etc...) because the chemicals used are different to the ones in other products that are applied in the same way (drops to the  back of the neck). These chemicals should not be used on animals as they have not been as stringently tested as the ones available at the vets

Better to be safe than sorry I would say, would you risk your cats life to save a few pounds?

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 21:39:27 PM »
but that was a flea treatment that uses "Permethrin" as the active ingredient, not pyriproxfen.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 20:45:02 PM »
Thanks Gill.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 20:41:44 PM »
Ok the thread wasnt very long but here was the warning:

Flea Treatment Problems - A WARNING
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:59 PM »       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know most people on here would only use vet approved flea treatments but have just received an email concerning an over the counter one. There are a number of issues relating to this email, like vet treatment and whether a cat should be left in this state etc etc, so please dont shoot the messenger!

We all know that reactions can happen from any of jabs but this one is new to me and definately a warning. Obviously a very bad reaction has happened.

This is the story of what has happened to one cat:

Our poor little cat Millie is very sick after been given a product that is supposed to be good for her! A few days ago we put some Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment on her which is to prevent her getting any fleas.

The product is widely available in pet stores and also even some supermarkets. Since then our cat has been in the vets for 2 days  and has been on a drip and had sedatives and steroids. The product has badly effected her nervous system and although she is out of the vets now, she is still very ill and has so far been lucky not have died

She has had a number of 'fits' were she has no control over her body and is writhing around, jumping and twitching and is obviously in pain as her muscles spasm out of control. During some of these fits she has been completely out of it and has run into the walls and doors, causing herself more injury. Also in general she is not acting like her normal self. She is usually a very mild mannered an friendly cat, very relaxed and a lovely family pet. She is, at times, now so 'freaked out' she does not know where she is or what she is doing. Her eyes are often very wide open and bulging and she is very 'wired' and agitated. It is very upsetting and distressing to see an animal suffering like this.

The worrying thing about this is that the vets have seen this sort of reaction before with this product! This is not an isolated incident!

I have done a little bit of research on the internet and also found other mentions of this reaction on cats. The product is NOT sold at veterinary clinics, but is available over the counter (at pet  stores, supermarkets etc...) because the chemicals used are different to the ones in other products that are applied in the same way (drops to the  back of the neck). These chemicals should not be used on animals as they have not been as stringently tested as the ones available at the vets and there have been a number of cases reported where this reaction has taken place. Some cats have died from this.

There are no warnings at  all on the packet that indicate anything like this. It does say the cat  may salivate if the animal manages to lick any of the product, as it has  a bitter taste. Well, our cat has been salivating quite a lot, not because she has licked any of the product, as this was washed off as soon as  we noticed it was giving her a problem.

She has been salivating because the product has caused herserious harm and damage, caused her to have  fits every few hours where she has no control of herself and salivates heavily as well as wets herself. Its not very pleasant to see the family pet  in such a distressing state. We do not know yet if the damage will be permanent.

The product is meant to protect the cat from fleas for 1 month, so we are guessing it will be in her system for that long and obviously if she is having fits for a month it may well effect her in the longer term.

If you could please pass this on to other pet owners then maybe some other animals we be saved some suffering.

The product is Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment, and I would recommend that no one uses it, ever. Get another product from your vets, such as Frontline, which is thoroughly tested and safe to use. I have also set up an e-mail address so if anyone else has had this>happen to them, if you could send an e-mail with the details to: BobMartinProblems@hotmail.co.uk

There have been cases of this reaction when people have incorrectly used the dog treatment on cats. This is not the case here. We have the packaging and the batch number of the product, and according to all the packaging it is the correct one for cats, although this going to be sent away and tested.)

DO NOT BUY BOB MARTIN SPOT ON FLEA TREATMENT
PLEASE PASS THIS E_MAIL ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A CAT AND ASK THEM TO PASS IT ON TO ANYONE THEY KNOW 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 20:36:28 PM »
I will try and find the thread cos I started it in behalf of someone else.

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 20:24:17 PM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on

NO NO NO!!! Please dont use this as it has been known to kill cats, there is a thread on here about it somewhere. It may be cheap but thats only because it does not work, so in the long run you are only waisting your money.

FRONTLINE is the only way to go to rid your cats of fleas, there is also a Frontline combo that treats the house too. Its only £15 from Vet UK and if you only have 1 cat it will last 6 months, so your saving money and doing the job at the same time  ;D

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 19:25:04 PM »
I use Bob Martin Vet Care Spot on (the one in the silver package and has pyriproxfen as the active ingredient ), its a frontline clone and you can buy it in sainsbursy and it lasts for 3 months. costs around £7.
Ozzy mingles with the local cats and is flee free (touch wood)
I bought it before I took her to the vets so she wouldn't pick up fleas and so got it as an emergency.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 19:25:34 PM by goatboy »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:07 PM »
Pet shops nope, they have crappy stuff only. Vets or online www.vetuk.co.uk

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?action=links;cat=7

If you use a charity link from above or http://www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/ then it helps raise money for needy cats  ;D

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
thanks for that, i cant remember what the name of the stuff i used was, but ill go get some frontline. can you get it from any pet shop or would i have to go and get it from the vet or somewhere specific?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Frontline for cat and indorex for house. You can buy online at a price much better than the vets at vetUK (use a link for a rescue and they earn commision, you'll find them in the links page).

You also need to check that its ok to retreat/wait a week between treatments.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »
i got up this morning and i have four big red bites on me in a line as if something has taken a good old feast on me.

P.S.

This is a classic flea bite pattern.  :shy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
One word - Frontline.  ;)

I'm afraid all the lotions, potions and shampoos you can get from the pet shop or supermarket are as good as chucking money down the toilet. Frontline is the only realistic treatment. Speak to your vet about when you can apply it - you may have to wait a while to avoid overdosing because of the stuff you've already applied.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
fleas aaaaahhhhh!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
hi there.
               i just wondered if anybody had any suggestions about flea problems. i was sitting in bed last week reading and suddenly a flea jumped onto my book!  i cheaked my little girl and she doid have afew, so i got to the shop asap and got some liquid that goes on her neck. it didnt work, so i got some tablets that she had when she was a kitten that worked really well. She had them for two days, and you could see the fleas dropping off. i washed all my sheets, and sprayed the whole house with flea killing spray.
The problem is i still seam to be getting bitten by something. i got up this morning and i have four big red bites on me in a line as if something has taken a good old feast on me. i dont know what else i can do.
the problem doesnt seam to be that bad, ive not seen any fleas on her, or in the house, but im assuming they must still be in there somewhere if im getting bitten. also, why is it only me that gets bitten. none of my family have bites, and ive never heard of anyone else whos wrote about having fleas that complains about getting bitten.
any advice would begreatly appreciated. thanks!

Link to CatChat