Author Topic: Charlie's growing aggressive...  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
Re: Charlie's growing aggressive...
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 16:07:04 PM »
Just a wee update on this. I'm pleased to say that wielding the water spray is working a treat. So far we've not actually squirted him, we've just put it towards his face when he bites and he totally backs off. Let's hope this keeps up!

Thanks again for all your help!
S

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
Thanks for that.
How old is Lireal? Do you ever use the feline hormone thingy?

S

Lirael will be 3 in November.

She also chews everything, boxes, ikea furniture....

Never tried the feline hormone stuff, it's not that big of deal to me as I've handled aggressive cats before plus if I run from her she'll go attack my OH instead ;)

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »
Hi Susanne,

I'd seen that hissing worked on other postings on so did give it a try a few times but it didn't work unfortunately - he just kept on chewing and in fact became more ferocious.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
How does he respond if you hiss at him when he does it?  That's usually quite effective as it's how cats tend to respond to unwanted aggression from another cat.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
Thanks for that.
How old is Lireal? Do you ever use the feline hormone thingy?

S

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »
My burmese will attack bite mostly when playing but sometimes out of no where you'll have a cat hanging from your arm by her teeth.

She's calmed down a bit since we got Smoke as it's someone else to attack (and Smoke has learned to play attack Lirael).

Water spray can work, unless you're like us and have lots of books in every room ;)

Good luck and I hope you can find a way to calm him down a bit.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Morning Everyone....

Thanks so much for all your advice! It's most appreciated.

Just in answer to a couple of questions...
Yes, Charlie is neutured. When we got him from the rescue we were told he was an indoor cat which is one of the reasons we decided to get him. We didn't want to make an outdoor cat into an indoor one! We know very little about his history although judging from his markings and gorgeous smokey/blue colourings, we suspect he may be a Burmese cross of some variety.
We live on the third floor of a block of flats with several door leading downstairs so fitting a catflap would be impossible (We'd need about 10). My partner and I do plan to move to a house with a garden at some point and so we really hope that one day Charlie will have the chance to go outside. In fact, we've got a harness and lead for him to and take him out very, very occassionally for a wee spell at the back just to get him acquainted with the Great Outdoors so he's not too freaked out by it when the time comes....

We did try to have CHarlie sleep with us but it didn't work out. As I said before, he's got a thing about feet and I was having nightmares about him munching them. Also, I'm like an octupus when I'm sleeping and Charlie was constantly getting shifted and shoogled. At about 4am he'd start his 'hunt' under the covers for our toes. I basically didn't sleep a wink whilst battling against Charlie and my partner's snoring!!

I've read the Wizz advice before - believe me, I've been through this forum and other cat sites with a fine tooth comb in trying to find a solution to this problem! Interestingly, last night when Charlie bit my partner, he (my man) wielded a spray canister in Charlie's face without squirting. Charlie squinted, fliinched and backed off so we're guessing this is something he's familiar with and possibly something his previous owners used to deal with him. So here's hoping we've found a solution here without actually having to spray him.

Thanks all of you again for your help! I'll keep you posted with progress....
S

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:04:55 AM »
You may have mentioned it in another thread, but is Charlie neutered? If not, this could be the problem. Otherwise it sounds to me a little like pent-up energy. Is there a specific reason why he's not allowed outdoors? He's acting a little like a feral-type cat with a strong hunting instinct and a weak human-cat bond.

If you live in a safe area, I'd suggest you have a cat flap fitted and allow him outdoor access.

Otherwise, more play, and more toys (maybe a cat tree) may be worth investing in.

A trip to the vet may be in order, as there could be a medical reason for his behaviour.

Wizz usually have good info about this, will find the link.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html

This site has some really good behaviour advice.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:06:02 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 20:34:24 PM »
Hi, Shay!

What a pity you're going through this, but well done for sticking by Charlie.  :hug:

This does sound like classic hunting play. The cat I had which fitted Charlie's description the most was Tigger. Tigger was born feral and separated from his Mum at an early age. Maybe this was a factor? Maybe his mind got stuck in learning mode and he was carrying on what his Mum was trying to get him to do?

Anyhow, I just wanted to reassure you that as Tigger got older, his 'attacks' got less and less and finished with a gentle playing knawing at my thumb when he wanted to wake me up. Rather than stimulate Charlie, I'd say you need to calm him down, though. Try the Feliway stuff?

You will notice it gets worse in the evening, especially at this time of year. They have a 'mad half hour' around dusk/bedtime and tear round the place like Taz!  :evillaugh:

Best of luck.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 19:40:25 PM »
or keep a rolled up newspaper and whack it hard on the sofa or something, that can help scare them if they are being naughty (works a treat on leather sofas  :evillaugh:  )

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 19:00:24 PM »
When the boys were little I blew in their face (quite hard) if they tried to bite or do that death kick move. By blowing they are immediately distracted from the naughty act without being rewarded with extra attention.  They learnt really quickly and now play with no claws and although I let them nibble my finger still there is no pressure from their jaws and it's more a sucking motion.  Even when they are jumping up to grab 'pray' (a mouse) from my hands they keep their claws in so they really do understand that they can't use claws around me at all.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 18:56:15 PM »
Have a look at this section ... there are links to dealing with aggression

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4786.0
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 18:44:32 PM »
The first thing i thought of suggestion was a water spray canister, he might not like it but thats the idea...you dont like being mauled !!!

I wonder how old he was when separated from siblings and mother ? 

It also sounds like its actually part of a greeting/game to him now.  My cat will do precisely what you say but this is only in play when he's highly wound up and i shoogle my arm / hand on his tummy.  At that point i know to stop.

Have you actually tried allowing him to sleep in your room ? 

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
Charlie's growing aggressive...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 18:12:28 PM »
Hi Guys,

I wanted to post a few weeks ago about Charlie but then had a read of some of the earlier posts about what to do about biting cats and thought I'd put some of your advice into practice. So I come to you with arms like I've been self-harming!!!

I really, really hope you can help with this one because I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

Charlie's just over a year and we got him at around 6/7 mos. He displayed limited aggressive behaviour beyond constantly chasing our feet and occassional mauling of hands which we put down to being a kitten. We bought lots of fishing rod type toys - anything we could get to take the 'fun' away from our hands. We looked for signs when we were petting him that he would bite and paid heed to those etc.

The problem was that Charlie would attack for no reason. I'd be at my lap top and he'd go for my hands. I was advised to clap at him and then started removing him from the room I was in and closing the door. He's a very sociable cat so I guessed this would be a real punishment for him. Sure enough, when we saw each other again, he'd be all sweetness and light.

Lately though, Charlie isn't responding to this 'punishment' at all and his aggression has become worse. It's always at bed time. Charlie doesn't sleep with us - we close the door on him and I'm guessing his behaviour is to do with not wanting to be shut out although, that said, he's very good about going to his bed each night once he is locked out and only then makes a fuss to be let in at 5-6am - we always oblige.

What he'll do is hurl himself at my arms (usually bare) and chomp at them. He starts kicking his back legs too which I believe is what they do when they're killing prey!! How on earth has he come to see my hands/arms as prey? A few months ago a clap and a hiss would've held him off but when I do that now he's started pouncing at my face. I realise this is about attention, in fact I did a little test the other night. While he mauled one arm, I switched my book to the other hand and ignored him. He quickly jumped onto the opposite hand and as I continued to switch, so did he.
This always leads to him being put out the door but he doesn't go without a fight and last night I had to yank my hand in and shut the door as he was still clinging to me as he mauled me. I find this so, so upsetting because it's like he's fuelled by some kind of dislike for me (which I know is daft but I'm getting paranoid...)

Also, where before when he'd curl up with us and fall asleep for a cuddle, the first thing he does when he gets on the bed is go for mine or my partner's arms.

Charlie's an indoor cat and has always been. I'm aware that they need extra stimulation. Both my partner and I work from home so we're around all day. I chat to Charlie constantly and have little five minute plays throughout the day. I've made feeding time more interesting for him by making him chase his pellets and I hide the rest all over the flat. I always try to have a good half hour play in the evening with him where he'll run around but I've been away a lot the past month or so and wonder if that may be something to do with it?

I'm now considering using a water spray on him when he bites as nothing else seems to act as a deterrant. I'm loath to do this because I hear it really freaks them out.
Has anyone got any advice at all? It would be most appreciated!

Many thanks as always,
Sally

Link to CatChat