Author Topic: Cat abandoning newborn kittens - please can experts advise?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
Re: Cat abandoning newborn kittens - please can experts advise?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 18:12:59 PM »
Yahoo answers gets me real mad everytime I visit the pet section, there are some sick people on there... I once read a question asking what the best poison was to kill the neighbours cats as he usually shoots them but poison would be better.... Some people answers are sick aswell..

It's a real shame because it would actually be a good place if it wasn't for some disturbed people...  >:( >:( >:(  (not the majority)

And just to keep to that subject I hope she listens to all the good advice you've given her... :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 14:05:06 PM »
Some of the answers on Yahoo are just ridiculous. Some are just jokers but some think they are giving sound advice - dangerous  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 13:20:21 PM »
Hope it works out for her, cant believe i read someone saying it can happen and to let nature take its course  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 13:07:35 PM »
Thanks Lynn,

I will post the message and credit you - I changed the "tell her" parts to "you" and added a bit about feeding position. I will also add Ela's CP advice as "further reading" as quite a lot to take in.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 13:21:37 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Mark i cant remember my yahoo password and been having real probs retrieving it.  If you are registered could you please give the advice that SHE MUST try and find a way to make the cat stay with the kittens IE leave them in a closed room together, get a large folding dog type cage in order to keep them together.  (all of this obviously making sure the cat isnt going to attack her kittens)

Perhaps the cat needs to see a vet to ensure all is well with her and she hasnt got cracked nipples or mastitis etc.

also it would seem to me to be extremely important she goes to the vet to equip herself with the proper cimicat and feeding bottles to have in the house and also if the mother isnt lying with them then please advise on keeping the kittens warm with something soft to snuggle into,  allowing the cat to follow her is not appropriate.  She also mustnt let the cat wander outside.  The kittens should be fed on a 2 hourly basis but not to start feeding if they seem to be having full bellies and are content to sleep inbetween mums feeding sessions, she could weight every 1-2 days to monitor weight etc.

explain if she is a first time mum its quite normal for her to be confused and she needs guidence from the owner but if she is letting them feed then there is maternal nursing instincts there.  Make sure she is being fed smaller and more often high quality food aswell..dont misjudge your own advise either mark, ive never heard to you give adverse advise yet !!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Cat abandoning newborn kittens - please can experts advise?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:08:20 PM »
This is on yahoo answers. You may need to register to answer te questions but I don't want to give bad advice. As usual, there are some silly answers on there. The question was only posted 1/2 hour ago so this is a real situation. Thanks

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Auho80Nuojes_KSdSkfo5vQxLxV.?qid=20070717033709AAFoQam

Link to CatChat