Author Topic: Tom has gone wobbly  (Read 8006 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Tom has gone wobbly
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »
Just posted on your other thread!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2007, 08:49:10 AM »
Will bear in mind those exercises Hippykitty but touch wood he is pretty good again today. That's 3 days on the trot which is best yet. I sometimes wonder if I'm remembering correctly what he was like before this all started as obviously his arthritis in back legs has been an issue. I think exercises for arthritis are helpful too so might test him out later and see how he goes.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »
Are his back legs worse than the front? If so, you could try some exercises I did with P.

Basically, these were the same things you'd do when teaching a baby to walk. I knelt on the floor, P in front, facing me; supported her by her front legs so she was standing up on her hind legs, and gently walked her towards me, then gave her a big cuddle. I'd do this a few times - about five min sessions - several times a day. It seemed to help her sense of balance and make her use her back legs. I don't know if it helped, but it didn't do any harm (I asked the vet to check her bones etc were in place).

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
There is no link to when he wakes up although like all elderly chaps he takes a little longer to get going in the morning. He has had days when he was fine early on and deteriorated through the day and other days the reverse. 

When he is in wobble mode though, he undoubtedly finds it difficult to co ordinate movement; so walking whilst looking up or behind (or even just walking when it's bad) makes him stagger or fall over. Today is however a pretty good day although not as good as yesterday which was great.  God, aren't you all bored the death yet lol?

He was sort of trying to play with OH's birthday cards this morning; bless the babe.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »
does he wobble more when he's just got up and less when he's been up a while?  Or when he looks up at you while walking? Hope Tom's doing well today, nearer 0 than 10.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
I started a new thread HippyKitty under Tom Again from which you will see he's been tested and retested all to no avail

I've started a mental scale of wobbliness W0 indicating no wobble and W10 indicating really bad. The men in white coats are doubtless on their way as I type. Last night was definitely a W0, this morning W2 I think so pretty fab compared to Sunday at 3am which was a W9

Thanks for asking. I'm giving him recovery time at the moment and keeping fingers crossed.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:21 AM »
How is Tom getting on?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2007, 17:25:27 PM »
I've discovered a stash of 5 synulox Gill and just gave Tom first one just in case.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2007, 14:52:07 PM »
If he does have an ear problem, this is likely to be a waking up thing cos he has been lying down for a long time and therefore changing position will bring on the dizzyness.

I do hope he is alright.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 14:48:29 PM »
Hope it was just due to the early morning/just woke up theory x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
So very pleased at Polly's progress. God how mad you must be at VetsNOW. I'm seething with them.

Tom not as good this morning. Was leaning against video as he walked for support for a couple of seconds but he had only just woken up and it was time for metacam drops this morning so will see how he goes.

On an up note, have just Frontlined all 3. Yes that's right including Billy without having to corner him in cat carrier and got almost all of it on to him whilst grooming him (we ought to have a little trumpet icon lol)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 23:58:59 PM »
Oh this is wonderful news   ;D   and yes she may have the infection for a while before all the symptoms showed and that would have made her very under the waether.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2007, 23:40:26 PM »
Polly is now 101% better. She's running up and down stairs like a mountain goat. She's getting naughty too - had to chase her round the bedroom to give her antibiotic earlier, little butter!

She looks better than she did before the illness, so I'm wondering if she had an underlying ear infection before the vestibular signs got bad. Her fur is glossier and she looks younger. Must be all the fuss!

So glad to hear that Tom is getting better. Wonderful, isn't it?  :cheer:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2007, 09:35:16 AM »
Cheers all. He still ain't 100% but close to it.  Hope Polly continues to improve OK.

In my concern for my boy, I do not appear to have thanked Hippykitty for the vestibular disease links which I have just scanned thru again now the panic stage is over. There was no circling, vomiting or head tilt. There was however the sudden onset, imbalance and the almost complete recovery after 3 days so I'm inclined to think that may well have been the problem although it must have been a mild form. 

Unfortunately one of the articles mentions it can recur and if it does recur, it can be worse. I suppose that's put the kibosh on moving insurance from M&S although there doesn't appear to be any treatment as such apart from medication to alleviate to nausea.

Meanwhile, the lady at vets who completes insurance claims says I should expect M&S to reimburse all vets charges including blood tests as they were done to help diagnose problem. I was going to have Tom's bloods done next month in any event due to his age and using metacam so that's a bit of a result.  Fingers crossed.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 23:15:10 PM »
So pleased  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 22:21:58 PM »
Am glad to hear he is much better now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 17:28:15 PM »
Sounds good...

Good luck with the claim.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »
YAY!!! Glad to hear the good news  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Excellent news :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
Tom almost back to normal. Am now going to try and claim on M&S policy for "swaying movement" which will be a nice test of the nil excess and how generous M&S are as really not at all sure that blood tests were done related to that or to put my mind at rest on continued use of metacam. Still I am expecting consultation fees at least to be covered.

Anyway who cares, our boy almost 100% (touch wood) so BP prob not required. Lord knows what this was all about. Just hope that's an end to it. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 01:58:12 AM »
White coat syndrome in humans will mean its always a bad reading, one doesnt get calm...................I know, I suffer and my current doctors are so bad they thought one reading would be enough anyway, inspite of me telling them.  I only gotta think BP and it goes up!

maybe cats dont react like that cos they dont understand.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
sooo glad Tom sounds like he's on the mend. If you do need to have his BP done, it isn't too invasive but many cats don't exactly enjoy it, esp done with the paw cuff - it's a cuff around the leg or possibly the tail. Some vets shave the area first and some don't. Mine says you don't need to as it doesn't help much and adds to the high bp as they get stressed from being shaved. However get him to set it all up first (the headphones and machine - they listen for the heartbeat through headphones as the noise can bother some cats) and then put on a bit of gel and cuff him and take a reading. Due to 'white coat syndrome' some vets take it several times if kitty is co-operating. I don't think it's more than a rough guide as it only measures the diastolic (I think??!!) rate, not both. Plus got totally diff readings from paw and tail - the latter was lower. But it will give you an indication of whether it's high or not. If Tom's calm at the vet it may be easy peasy.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2007, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Desley. Tom is always pretty calm at vets (esp with Mr Watts who is very good with Billy the loony too, that's prob why I trust him so much). Tom's behaviour back to normal inc waking OH at 4.30am this morning for his breakfast after throwing up his chicken last night coz he was such a gorb. Also noticed he is back to drinking again. He still has the wobble but getting slightly less noticeable each day.

I'm still inclined to leave things alone Hippykitty for a few days to see if Tom continues to improve on his own. I have to admit to being useless when it comes to medical conditions. Both me and OH go queasy so not surprised I'm getting stuff mixed up with what vet says. Sorry to be so frustrating. The main thing was that vet said anything he said would only be complete guesswork as he couldn't see anything wrong with Tom apart from his wobble when he walked. I will however bear Mr Bate in mind. Cost thankfully not an issue re consultation fees coz he's our Tom. He has however already been seen by 2 vets and seems to be improving.  Thanks so much for your concern. Tom says hi to Polly and Samantha and hope Polly recovers completely very soon.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »
Good luck with him - I didn't think the BP tests were that invasive, with Ginger, they shaved a little bit of fur off his leg, then put the cuff on it, and did whatever on the machine to get a reading. Vet had initially said he would be there a while as they would need to do more than one reading, but he was calm enough so they got the two they needed in a relatively short space of time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 22:27:04 PM »
Rosella PLEASE take Tom to Mr Bate. Some of the things your vet has told you are either wrong or very dumbed down in his way of explaining.

He said stroke can be caused by clot elsewhere in body not brain which may not affect a cat's behaviour.

I did mention vestibular disease but vet said this is loosely linked to strokes? Sorry can't remember his exact words.

Both of these are wrong. If a clot occurs elsewhere in the body, blocking a blood vessel, it is called thrombosis, and has no effect on brain activity unless the clot travels to the brain. A blood clot or haemorrhage in the BRAIN is a stroke. Only if this happens in the brain does it have neurological symptoms such as Tom's.

Vestibular disease has nothing to do with strokes. There are various causes of vest disease such as ear infection, brain tumour, (in this case, there is no improvement), or no cause at all: idiopathic, which is what Mr Bate thinks Polly has had. He gave her antibiotics to cover for the possibility of infection. She's improving dramatically. She saw him earlier and doesn't need to go back as long as the improvement continues.

As you're so close to my vet's, I would highly recommend that you go to him for a second opinion. He's an amazing diagnostician and doesn't do any unnecessary tests. He'll look at Tom, give him a thorough examination, including watching him walk, and tell you what he thinks is wrong. The consultation cost varies. Follow ups are cheaper (£16 ish plus meds) than initial consults.

Samantha, Polly and me are all sending good vibes to Tom. I hope he gets better soon, whatever he's got.

:Flowers:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 21:36:48 PM »
Sending good vibes for a complete recovery over a long period.

Shaking his head could be an ear problem and if so he would wobble cos he maybe loses balance by shaking head.

How ever if he is getting around fine with a bit of wobbling and he is now eating again, things sound good  ;D ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 21:30:42 PM »
Hugs to both of you and keep us posted.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 21:27:18 PM »
Sorry no idea about BP and never had a cat's BP tested so no idea how that is measured?  Is it invasive? He is still very wobbly (for about 10% of the time he's moving) altho not as bad as over the weekend and difficult to tell if he is getting better or just learning to compensate. He is in no discomfort and worryingly jumping from place to place with abandon (that'll be the Metacam working).

He has eaten fresh chicken like a demon tonight. Really naughty about trying to take it off my plate. Guess he knows he can get away with blue murder at the moment. Strange tho that Hippkitty said her Polly had an exceptional appetite when recovering too. It's not as if he stopped eating for very long.

Have noticed him shaking his head maybe 4 times or so a day (which I mentioned to vet) but difficult to know whether I only notice this coz he has big wobble when he does it. He seems happy in himself.

Plan now is to leave it till Friday (assuming no deterioration) and ring vet then for a chat if no improvement and possibly mention a blood pressure test if not invasive.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 16:51:00 PM »
how's he doing this afternoon? Great that his bloods are fine. Just wondering how high is his bp?
hope things are improving.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 14:21:52 PM »
Went to see Mr Watts at 9.10am.  Tom decided to get a great deal better when he saw the cat basket!  I had quite a job putting him in it which was most unlike Saturday when he was no trouble. Whilst he is still not fully recovered, by the time it came for vet visit, he managed a little canter up the garden and walked away when I tried to pick him up. Also managed to jump from coffee table to sofa without falling over.

He did however still manage a wobble for the vet and vet gave him another thorough check up. Vet doesn't think it's the arthritis as the movement is more of an unsteady sway. He won't rule out ear trouble but can't see any evidence of it. No doubt that he is however a good deal better than Saturday. Vet says, without invasive investigations, he can only hazard a guess that he may have had a minor stroke and is recovering in his own time. I said Tom didn't show any strange behavioural signs. He said stroke can be caused by clot elsewhere in body not brain which may not affect a cat's behaviour.

I did mention vestibular disease but vet said this is loosely linked to strokes? Sorry can't remember his exact words.

He did however do blood tests and these are all in the normal range (which is lovely to know) so I gave Tom 3 cat Metacam drops for his arthritis. So that's where we are and we will keep an eye on him.  A pain not knowing what caused this but glad our lad is coping better. Fingers crossed this continues.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 13:45:44 PM »
I hope things have gone well at the vets and you know whats wrong with Tom now.
love
Tab

Ditto, do keep us posted.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »
I hope things have gone well at the vets and you know whats wrong with Tom now.
love
Tab

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for the support. My boy says ta very much too. I'm going to ring vet at 8.30 to make appointment. Fingers crossed Mr Watts on duty today. Tom sick in the night (no surprise there) but also had a little poo and is eating a little fairly often. Still wobbling. I am confusing myself now and wonder if it is just another manifestation of his arthrirtis getting worse due to age and bad weather. Could be so many things that you have mentioned. Haven't been able to get a video of Tom doing his thing so hope he performs for the vet.

Will post later. Cheers everyone. Really appreciate it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 00:57:10 AM »
Ear problems cannot always be seen, even on MRI scan and in humans various tests would be done....like walking a line foot to toe. standing with eyes closed and arms straight out infront of you etc or a full balance test, none which can be done on cats.

It can be caused by a virus or an infection but usually an infection would have some secondary symptoms, especially pain. A virus may only suspected  because of the balance problem but their can be different causes and effects, so with a cat its very much a guessing game unless there are some ear symtoms that can be seen.

Viral problems in humans seem to go in phases and I ended up in hospital in next room to someone else who had the same problem so I was diagnosed easily, what I dont know is what causes one person to catch it and not others as it seems only few seem to catch it. I didnt pass it to anyone at work for example.

If both Polly and Tom live fairly close to each other and both have the same problem, it is most likely to be viral and as long as the virus has not actually damaged something then time is the only healer and the length varies from one to another. I needed medication to help stop me being sick because of the dizziness.

I do hope Mr Vet can diagnose what is wrong with Tom and that he starts to improve like Polly  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 22:47:29 PM »
lynn,  the VetsNow vet I saw in the first instance diagnosed a stroke and advised pts. Luckily I didn't listen to him, but took Polly to my own vet the following day. He went through the possibilities with me, putting vestibular disease at the top. He could see a plug of wax in one of P's ears, and thought this may indicate infection (though he also said that the ear could be healthy behind the plug). She's being treated with Synulox and prednisolone, and is almost back to her normal self.

So much for VetsNow!

Tom's symptoms sound almost identical to Polly's. Her hind legs are still a bit weak. My vet said that she splays her legs when walking to compensate for her loss of balance. She's stopped doing this, but can't walk downstairs, though she's fine going up.

We're seeing Mr Vet again tomorrow. I'm hoping for good news.

Rosella, I'm thinking of you and Tom. I hope your vet makes Tom better.  :hug:

Will put up some links when find them.

http://www.cathealth.com/vestibular.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/vestibular/vestib.htm

Loads more where these came from. I bookmarked masses of them when doing research for Polly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 22:53:37 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 21:02:15 PM »
Hope he's still abit better Rosella.

Hippy in dogs esp but cats also "strokes" are commonly misdiagnosed  when in fact vest disease is a far more common and likely cause, Fortunately they do tend to improve abit and can respond to treatment, unfortunately some animals can be pts on the "stroke" diagnosis when it wasnt that at all (in all probability) .

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 20:37:47 PM »
Roz is it possible he may have fallen or been struck by anything ?  your latest discription does sound more like a physical problem than a viral or poisening one. Wondering if he has injured his tail or spine anywhere ?  Have you checked along his back to see if there is any cut or bruising ? or he is a bit tender. Glad he is going to the Vet tomorrow It will put your mind at rest a bit to have him checked over. Hope he's a lot better soon

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 17:12:58 PM »
Hope Tom gets better soon :hug:

As long as he's eating and drinking I wouldn't worry too much until you go see the vet tomorrow :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 15:40:04 PM »
Good luck with him, and I hope it is nothing too serious.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 13:38:30 PM »
In reality the old and the new compliment each other.

Yes of course and nice to know I'm still of some use then lol

Have you ruled out an ear infection?

Nothing ruled out Pinkbear but vet could not find any indication of ear infection altho she had a very good look in Tom's ears and would have put him on antibiotics I guess if she thought that were a possibility. She just sent me away with a tin of recovery food to tempt Tom to eat but he started eating his usual food again when he got home and is still eating thank god. The fact that he is back to eating OK leads me to think not a balance problem but what do I know. Haven't seen him drinking but am watering down his Hi Life Turkey & Giblets pate to give him more fluids.  If he shakes himself for any reason or turns his head to look behind him, he falls over. That's how unsteady he is.

Think I'll try and video him on my camera to show the vet tomorrow as you know how difficult it can be to get them to perform for the vet.

Link to CatChat