Author Topic: Runny poo  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Runny poo
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 20:51:08 PM »
If its a kitten their tummies are very sensitive to change and like the others suggest it might be best to stop changing her food for a while and try to stick to a few choices until her tum has stabilsed. I would cut out the milk for sure. Its the most likely culpret. Milk takes a special enzyme (rennin?) to break it down and a lot of animals and humans do not have it . Try just chicken breast cut really really fine (or she will swallow big lumps) and maybe some cheap frying steak lean with no fat cut really small . If its straight from the fridge try to warm it a bit first by holding it under the hot tap or in your hand first so it isn't really ice cold.
How many worming pills have you given her ? I wonder if the dose is too high for a little kitten ?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 18:22:47 PM »
Isn't the kitten HiLife complimentary? IT could also be that it is too rich for her tummy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 17:01:10 PM »
She's been drontal-ed twice MM, as I said she didn't take the 1st one, and only part of the 2nd, so I've been advised to stay on the safe side (by vet nurse) not to give her another one for a bit, just incase she'd actually taken both of them.. Although i know she hasn't  :tired:

Her litte belly doesn't seem as swollen anymore, when we first got her in, it was quite swollen, worms.

As shes that young its really good to feed her over at least 4 meals.

She does get fed over 4 meals MM, half of H/L pouch - breakfast, dry food - Lunch, half of H/L - dinner, dry food overnight.
Although the portion size of the H/L is smaller than natures menu etc, so I usually mix a bit of dry in with that now too.

How much chicken should I give her?

xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 16:51:15 PM »
My Bengal babies are on boiled chicken at the moment for pooey bums but the vet told me to still let them have their biscuits - maybe I should take them away for a couple of days?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 16:51:05 PM »
Whats the situation on worming?
As shes that young its really good to feed her over at least 4 meals.

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 16:47:24 PM »
It got the poo out Gillian, I'd just like to make it smell a bit nicer, was considering going and getting my toni and guy shampoo out  :rofl:
I might give her a wee trim then, just to stop the hair matting or anything, and she's not too fond of bum washing  :rofl:

Missy is about 10/11wks old now, she was a rescue kitty so not sure of an exact age, but around that age.
I'll go get some chicken breast for the wee one then, Charlie and Tilly will demand some too obv  :tired:

Thanks for your advice Gillian  :wow:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 16:37:14 PM »
Oh Gillian, was just about to PM you.

Woul you recommend anything for getting the poo out of her fur. Bc she's still so young, her hair at the back quite long and fuzzy, so it looks quite matted. I've gave it a quick wash, just some warm water and combed through it, but is there any good shampooing products I could get?

Did the little wash you gave her get most of the poo out? If so, you know what, I think i'd trim her long fur down in that area now - just for the time being while she's having this problem, just so's its a bit easier to clean. I'm not quite sure how old she is? but any kitten shampoo would be fine.

By the way, lacto b is perfectly safe, although you may just want to check with your vet that its ok for kittens.

Personally, I'd do just chicken (without the rice) for few days, just because sometimes grains can cause upset tummies, so I'd also take away the dry for the time being too. I just bake chicken - breast, or whole chick, in the oven when I do it.

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 16:29:44 PM »
MM - I think I'll try that first as I'm sure its her food, she was having natures menu kittens to begin with.

How do you cook the chicken and rice, how much etc?

Don't think she's over eating either as I only give her a set amount each meal time, only half a pouch morning and dinnr and some dry in between and at night.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 16:13:56 PM »
I've changed her food already as her poo was really too soft to start with, so now she's only having highlife (kitten) and whiskas dry (kitten)
She loves whiskas milk as well, but I've cut right back on it too so I'm not sure what it could be

Did you change food and then she got worse? What was she on before?
I would put her on a bland diet, chicken and rice and see if that helps. Sometimes just plain old over eating can do a kittens tummy in, if she loves the new food it could be shes eating more of it  :shy:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 14:29:07 PM »
That reminds me of a time one of our boys came home one night - we went to pick him up but we smelt the poo first!  :sick:

God knows what he'd done, but he had it everywhere on him, whether he had had a seriously gone wrong poop outdoors or he was rolling about in it we've no idea!

We stood him in the sink, and used the wipes we had (for emergencies and so glad we did) to wipe the poo off of him.

Bless his little heart you could tell, as he was standing perfectly still, that he knew we were helping him - as I cant even imagine what it would have been like for him to have cleaned himself!!!

Thanks for your thoughts btw - it was just her time to go to Rainbow Bridge - we know we'll see her again one day

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 14:07:19 PM »
Should I notify the vet if I'm using Lacto B or is it quite safe?

Where do you get your tushie wipes from Susanne? :rofl: Seriously though bc her wee trouser fur is so long, and it would be alot easier than holding her in the sink. I was going to use my face wipes but went against the idea, she doesn't use garnier  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 14:01:51 PM »
I second the lacto B suggestion.  I used it with Jaffa when he had soft poos and it worked great.  I also use something called tushie wipes if Mosi gets poo on his trousers  ;D  It's not v good with clumps of poo but for dirty, pooey fur it's pretty good.

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:19:32 PM »
Oh Gillian, was just about to PM you.

Woul you recommend anything for getting the poo out of her fur. Bc she's still so young, her hair at the back quite long and fuzzy, so it looks quite matted. I've gave it a quick wash, just some warm water and combed through it, but is there any good shampooing products I could get?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Think a visit to the vets in order, I'll moniter her toileting through today though.

Scatty - Really sorry to hear about your baby :( xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Perhaps you could try a probiotic if it turns out to be just a bit of a tummy upset? Your vet will probably be able to supply the probiotic paste, or you can get Lacto B online, which is one I use and find really good, its in powder form, and its not noticed by the cats when just sprinkled on their food. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Lacto-B

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:24 AM »
I've never had the delight of owning a kitten (yet!) so dont know much about what you can and cant use on them, but can you not use the spot on wormer rather than the tablets?

Personally, I'd get her to the vets. We lost our eldest cat (we think she was 14/15 in the end) and her poos went v.runny, the vet tried to treat her with steroid injections, but in the end it was too much for her (whatever was going on insider her little body) and we had to make the decision to say goodbye to her less than a month later. Not saying that's what'd happen to your cat, but our vet said that if you notice any difference to bring them in for a check up and also take a sample of the poo as they can test it. 

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »
No they are normal colour.

She seems fine in every other way, I told the vets when she was there last week, I also thought it might have something to do with worming as she doesn't like taking the tablets, I crush them in her food etc but it doesn't fool her. I've gave her 2 drontals , one she didnt eat at all, the other she only ate a tiny bit. I 'm not going to give her another one for a while just incase.

She seems fine in herself apart from the runny poo. She's running around mad just now, eating enough and drinking plenty of water too.

I probably will end up taking her back to the vets if there is no improvement. I don't think the blood from yesterday was internal or anything, maybe just a bit of rectal blood..

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:45 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I'd get your little cat along to the vets as soon as you can (if you already havent) as it might just be her digestive system or it could indicate something wrong.

Are the poos the normal looking colour - a mid brown ? If they're a very light brown (almost beige) I'd get your cat in asap as we were told that's an indication that something is definetly wrong with them.

• Super Cat
Runny poo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »
Missy has been having runny poo the last couple of days. She's been having problems using her litter tray, (keeps doing it on the carpet,) but I've been taking her to the litter tray after meals which is working.

Yesterday there seemed to be a little bit of blood in it too  :( This mornings there wasn't though.

She's just came and sat on me now and her fur at the back is all sticky and smelly :sick: Should I give her a wee bath??

I've changed her food already as her poo was really too soft to start with, so now she's only having highlife (kitten) and whiskas dry (kitten)
She loves whiskas milk as well, but I've cut right back on it too so I'm not sure what it could be..

It's either her food or an underlying problem.. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys  ;D

Link to CatChat