Author Topic: panluek  (Read 2164 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: panluek
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 21:05:17 PM »
years ago these diseases wiped out hundreds, probably thousands of cats in uk each year.  Thankfully the vaccs are pretty damned good.

As said, no vacc whether human or animal is 100% but generally the disease is in a much weaker form as the antibodies we have made by getting the vaccines will have worked quite well.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 15:45:43 PM »
My vet says although they could catch the virus with them still having the vacs it gives them a better chance of fighting it off as they have built up some immunity to it.

Your vet is right, no vaccine is 100% effective, but if say your cat got enteritis or cat flu the chances are they should not be so ill as perhaps they would have been had they not been injected. I have seen a whole household of cats wiped out with enteritis and known cats die of cat flu
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 15:48:13 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 14:04:50 PM »
On my cats vacs form it says Feline Panleucopaenia, Feline Viral Rhinotrachetis, Feline Calicivirus and Feline Leukaemia.

My vet says although they could catch the virus with them still having the vacs it gives them a better chance of fighting it off as they have built up some immunity to it.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 21:53:38 PM »
pleased that Lola was ok.

That is the thing with vacs i purpose, its doesnt always stop them from getting something but it is norm a milder form if they do

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 20:25:06 PM »
Lola got FIE even tho she was vaccinated, it was a mild case so she survived. At one point i did think i was going to lose her, she was admitted to the vets for several days and she loved it!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 13:38:08 PM »
Cheers Lynn.

Had she have called it Enteritis i would have known what it was !!
Her other cat is now showing signs of it, shame she hadnt had them both vaccinated for it !

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 13:31:02 PM »
Feline panleukopenia is the correct name but is also called feline infectious enteritis this is basically the same virus that causes canine distemper.  Your cats are vaccinated for it already , its part of their yearly jabs.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
panluek
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 13:11:41 PM »
I was just reading on another board about someone who's cats has just died from panluek.

I gotta be honest i had never heard of it.
I have just looked it up and there seems there is a vaccine for it -

My question is,
Is it available in this country and is it included in the vacs we have done ??

Link to CatChat