Author Topic: Nipples falling off!?  (Read 9259 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Nipples falling off!?
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 18:01:49 PM »
If they haven't changed much then I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Could just be cat nipples are different sizes and shapes from cat to cat. People's ones won't be absolutely identical so no reason cats ones should be lol. Maybe just mention to the vet next time he's in for routine check up. Sure it's nothing to worry about though.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 17:55:29 PM »
Just managed to find one of Bilbo's and it just looks like a tiny white/pale pink nub.

Hmm, well as can be seen from the photo, Fred has a white belly with quite soft thin silky fur and his nipples are sort of beige and look almost transparent, it's almost like they are hardened sebum leaks rather than flesh, very different to my old females nipples. Still they (or the lack of them) don't seem to bother him at all and although I can't be certain because I never noticed before but I don't think they have changed much in the 18 months we have had him other than him losing one of them...

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 17:41:39 PM »
Just managed to find one of Bilbo's and it just looks like a tiny white/pale pink nub.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 17:19:12 PM »
Has he only got 3 nipples left? Have you got a pic as to what the other 3 look like now?

Glad changing his diet has helped with his overgrooming  ;D

They haven't changed from when I took the picture 10 days ago or so, see further down this thread.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 17:15:24 PM »
Has he only got 3 nipples left? Have you got a pic as to what the other 3 look like now?

Glad changing his diet has helped with his overgrooming  ;D

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 16:59:23 PM »
Any news on Fred's nipples?

Hi there, the rest are still hanging on thanks :), the one that has gone is still missing. The three left still don't look very nipply but as a few people have said maybe it's just because they are more like skin tags than fully formed nipples....

I have completely changed his diet and think that might have solved the bald patch/overgrooming problem so he hasn't needed to visit the vets thankfully.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 16:33:47 PM »
Any news on Fred's nipples?

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 10:40:32 AM »
What a bizzarre thread   :shify: :shify:
If you think you have a dust mite prob then treat the house with Indorex. Cheapest on vet uk and if you use a rescue link they earn commission  ;D

I know, sorry, I felt a bit bizarre writing it!!

Never heard of Indorex off to find some now, thank you :)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:23 AM »
to be honest nothing looks really wrong in that photo, the one on the right esp looks like its still there just pushed into the skin abit.  Perhaps the crusting actually did that.  I wouldnt worry though nor would i say you need to cart him off to the vets just now.  Monitor it and see what happens.

The one on the left (middlish of the picture) simply isn't there the little dot you see is a little tiny red hole otherwise it's now completely smooth the crusty bit on the right appears to be just that.. crust, certainly not skin as such, unless it is very much a 'skin tag' that i could pull off, I'm keeping at eye on it anyway, he's loving all the tummy rubs ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 18:39:53 PM »
What a bizzarre thread   :shify: :shify:
If you think you have a dust mite prob then treat the house with Indorex. Cheapest on vet uk and if you use a rescue link they earn commission  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 18:08:21 PM »
to be honest nothing looks really wrong in that photo, the one on the right esp looks like its still there just pushed into the skin abit.  Perhaps the crusting actually did that.  I wouldnt worry though nor would i say you need to cart him off to the vets just now.  Monitor it and see what happens.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 14:27:54 PM »
a male cat should have just as many nipples as a female, just as a man has 2 the same as a woman.  However cat nipples are very tiny and insignificant (pretty much the same as a skin tag is to us)  It can be quite common for them to get abit crusty, just a build up of sebum and i'd have thought the actual nipples are still there underneath, they dont normally fall off.  They could be introverted ?  It sounds awful but its extremely easy to shave off a cat nipple if they need prepared for any major surgery  :-:

If in doubt however take him to the vets to make sure everything is ok.

Hmm, that makes me feel a bit better, maybe they are inverted but leaking a bit of sebum, that might make sense, he gets so worked up about the vets that I'll hang on and just watch them closely rather than take him for a check.  Attached picture shows hole where nipple used to be on left and possible hard sebum stuff on right (about 2 mms across).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 14:20:52 PM »
It is possible he's lost them somehow. As Lynn says, they are as flimsy as a skin tag.

I'm sticking a tenner each way at 5-1 on your Fred having a flea alergy, though.  :sneaky:

He's an indoor cat and there are no fleas anywhere near him, no flea dirt, nothing. I think its more likely to be dust mite allergy, my old female who sadly died last year had a real allergy to something too, licked herself to bleeding and also... no fleas.

Rented accomodation, minging carpets so my money is on dust mites  :P

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 14:12:25 PM »
It is possible he's lost them somehow. As Lynn says, they are as flimsy as a skin tag.

I'm sticking a tenner each way at 5-1 on your Fred having a flea alergy, though.  :sneaky:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 14:09:41 PM »
a male cat should have just as many nipples as a female, just as a man has 2 the same as a woman.  However cat nipples are very tiny and insignificant (pretty much the same as a skin tag is to us)  It can be quite common for them to get abit crusty, just a build up of sebum and i'd have thought the actual nipples are still there underneath, they dont normally fall off.  They could be introverted ?  It sounds awful but its extremely easy to shave off a cat nipple if they need prepared for any major surgery  :-:

If in doubt however take him to the vets to make sure everything is ok.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 14:06:30 PM »
I went to look at Bilbo's but I can't them under all his fur lol.  It does sound odd that Fred's seem to be disappearing  :-:

It's very bizarre, yes Fred has quite silky hair and underneath he is not thick furred at all, I wish I had paid more attention in the past but to be honest I'd never paid them all that much attention, they just felt like little tiny male nipples but now looking close there is no real nipple at all just two remaining little pale brown crusts, about 2 millimetres long each. Maybe he has always had them? Could they be inverted nipples?

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 14:03:42 PM »
:-:

How perculiar.

How old is Fred? Is he neutered? What colour is his tummy? I've just counted Jumpy's and his got 8. They do look silly, though.  :evillaugh:

He's a pale ginger semi long hair and was neutered at around 2 and a half and he's now, oh my, nearly 4! He was a stray though so everything is a bit of an estimate, he is giving himself bald patches at the moment, probably either stress overgrooming or allergies but he couldn't lick entire nipples off could he?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 14:01:47 PM »
I went to look at Bilbo's but I can't them under all his fur lol.  It does sound odd that Fred's seem to be disappearing  :-:

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 14:00:35 PM »
I'm quite confused, maybe they are not nipples at all, they seem like just crusts, to be honest I've never really examined them closely just during tummy rubs was aware of 4 nipply-like things and now there are only two! I feel I could pull these crusts off and he would be completely smooth, no nipples at all just pinpricks where they once were.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 13:59:31 PM »
 :-:

How perculiar.

How old is Fred? Is he neutered? What colour is his tummy? I've just counted Jumpy's and his got 8. They do look silly, though.  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 13:53:16 PM »
I didnt think male cats have as many nipples as females, maybe they are something else?

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
Nipples falling off!?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 13:46:58 PM »
Okay, weirdness, my boy Fred who has finally recovered from a crusty lump on his neck that became an open wound and required an operation to finally heal, anyway, rubbing his tummy today I noticed that he only had two nipples left, both on the same side and both looking a bit odd (almost as though they are just little crusts and if I wanted I could pull them off... I don't want to!), the other two have gone/disappeared, the lower one just has a tiny pinprick hole where it once was? Any ideas, he is completely unbothered.... I'm sure the other two were there yesterday!

Link to CatChat