Author Topic: Feliway - would this work?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Feliway - would this work?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 22:23:55 PM »
Feliway isn't just to help with specific problems (although at can be useful for behavioural problems) but is a good idea in multi cat households and when introducing cats.  I bought one when I got Mosi (Jaffa was 8 years old then) and it's hard to be certain it makes any difference but if things get a bit tetchy between them I tend to notice the feliway has ran out.  Of course they get on ok anyway, but Mosi can be a bit boisterous for Jaffa at times and I think the feliway helps Jaffa cope without getting stressed out.  And like I mentioned earlier - I take the spray to the cattery when they go.  That's a stressful experience for them that's unavoidable.  I also spray it in the carrier when I take them to the vets.  Those are the kind of things I recommend it for.  If there's any change in a cat's behaviour or they are showing signs of anxiety then a vet visit is a must.  But where a physical cause has been ruled out, feliway's worth a try.  It's not a magic bullet and won't solve every behavioural problem, but sometimes it reduces anxiety in a cat sufficiently to help with a behaviour such as spraying.  It's never a substitute for looking at the cause of the problem of course.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 22:26:26 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 22:18:06 PM »
Can't honestly say that Feliway ever worked on severe anxiety (the Maxcat). I also tried rescue remedy in his water and am not sure that that did any good anyhow (the brandy lol?). I'm not sure that either is available in the UK but something that I found did help a bit with anxiety (short term) was homeopathic rescue remedy under-the-tongue human pills - used sparingly as they are sugar coated; and a herbal remedy given to me by a homeopathic vet, which if memory serves and it doesn't always/often, is called Biral. I don't think suitable for long term use either. I do wish there was a safe kitty calmer around. The french use a pill called Relaxine (sp?) but have not seen that here. They only use it for maximum 3 days anyway and only with certain cats.
It's very difficult because so few vets know how to cope with anxiety. Or say unhelpful things like it only happens cos they are a pedigree cat (sigh).
Lynn and Pinkbear you are so right though in that when they are ill or in pain, they can first-up show stress symptoms. When you take them to the vet, they are stressed from being there as well so it's a vicious circle.

Just remembered:  catnip's a kitty calmer isn't it - once they've stopped vrooming? and vet claims valerian teabags in an old sock altho' not tried that one as can't find valerian teabags unmixed with anything else.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 22:20:29 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 22:09:34 PM »
Mm...  :shy:

My vet tried to make me buy some Feliway for Tilly when she started acting strange. But I knew my Tilly better than he did. I sought a second opinion and it was discovered she'd snapped a back tooth off and the nerve pulp was exposed. That would make her act strange! That's why I remind folks to think about dental problems, because often we don't.

I agree with everything you've said, Lynn. Of course we'd always want folks to take the advice of vets. Good vets, though.  ;)

But if it helps even one cat with serious problems, its a darn fine product.  :wow:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 21:55:45 PM »
No i think in most instances there are clear and distinct differences when a cat has an ailment or is upset by something (well to me theres a big difference anyway)

Normally if someone comes on here with say a peeing problem we will ask lots of questions and build a picture, one of the first things we advise is visit the vets..infact everyone that ever goes online should never take advise over vet or doctor etc.

However its often the case where certain things are quite clearly recognised as behavioural and feliway can be recommended.  Also feliway is often recommended to people to have in the house anyway, or when they are going to move house, or planning getting a cat for first time.  It can be used to be a comfort to cat in general terms as it will diffuse familiar pheramones through the house.  But there is a clear difference between a cat the pee's on a duvet (in my case) over a cat straining and repeatedly widdling because it has cystitis or urinary calculi. 

If a cat suddenly starts acting stressed or different from the norm then veterinary advise should always be sought.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 21:39:02 PM »
Pinkbear feliway has been around for a fair few years now (maybe about 10) , although in the first couple of years there was only the spray and the "public" didnt know much about it.

However I can say it DOES make a good difference in many cats, we used it in practice for "trials" before stocking it for sale when i was still working and i definately did help some cats calm down abit.  It has varying degrees of success as each cat is different with different levels of anxiety.

Thanks, Lynn, that's interesting.

I suppose I have been very lucky. I've had cats with liver, kidney and heart problems, but never anything to do with anxiety. When they have appeared anxious, there's always been a physical cause. But the more I see this Feliway mentioned, the more is worries me that folks may be turning to this first when in fact the root cause of their cat's problem could be as simple as an ear infection or something similar.

This is obviously not the case you with you, JS... and I seem to have hyjacked your thread. Sorry!  :innocent:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 18:56:57 PM »
Pinkbear feliway has been around for a fair few years now (maybe about 10) , although in the first couple of years there was only the spray and the "public" didnt know much about it.

However I can say it DOES make a good difference in many cats, we used it in practice for "trials" before stocking it for sale when i was still working and i definately did help some cats calm down abit.  It has varying degrees of success as each cat is different with different levels of anxiety.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 16:16:54 PM »
Hun maybe just buy the diffuser and not the spray or the other way round. (or PM me and I can send you a spare spray I have)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 16:02:02 PM »
JS, that's not a joyful set of circumstances for anybody.  :(

:hug: for Old Mog.

So have you tried this Feliway stuff before, then?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 15:47:08 PM »
It's just Old Mog that's high maintenance. She's been diagnosed as senile - and I'm pretty sure it's nearly as trying as caring for an elderly relative with the same condition.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 15:40:17 PM »
Thanks, Susanne...  :hug:

There may be a time in the future when I'll try anything to get out of a desparate situation, but at the moment my cats are so laid back you could fall asleep watching them.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 15:35:11 PM »
I must confess to have never heard of Feliway before around 6 months ago. I've never used it, and being an old foggie, I dare say I never will....  :tired:

Never say never!  They are very useful.  I've taken a spray to the boarding cattery my boys use for the past few years and the first time they said they settled much quicker due to the spray.

I'm trying to persuade a mate on another board to get one as her brother has recently got 2 burmese kittens and one of the exisitng cats (a 1 yr old siamese) is not happy and spending most of her time outdoors.  Sadly her brother would "laugh her out of the house" if she suggested it  :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 15:30:38 PM »
Would that work?

It was mentioned on TV the other day that Plug ins are are main cause of many house fires, so I think to mess around with one may be asking for trouble.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 15:29:47 PM »
I must confess to have never heard of Feliway before around 6 months ago. I've never used it, and being an old foggie, I dare say I never will....  :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 15:23:21 PM »
OK, thanks. Bit short of money at the moment and to be honest, Old Mog is driving me to distraction. (Not to mention my partner and the other cats. :()

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 14:18:02 PM »
does sound abit too risky

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 14:16:03 PM »
 :evillaugh: knew you would

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 14:14:31 PM »
LOL snap ruth  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 14:13:42 PM »
I dont think it would, you'd probably find the plug ins have oil in them to prevent the cotton plug from drying out where as the sprays have alcohol..definately not to be decanted into the plug in..alcohol + heat + electricity isnt something i'd advise myself, nor would i be convinced any cheaper immitation types would work.

ps vet uk has special offers on feliway just now  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 14:12:23 PM »
The Feliway diffuser is actually an oil the spray I don't believe it is. The oil works like essential oils burning and that's what works. I would think it would be better to just buy the diffuser. You're asking for a fire by doing that. (and this is based on professioanl knowledge).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Feliway - would this work?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 13:32:05 PM »
My friend comented the other day that you can get "fragranced" plug ins for homes a lot cheaper than the feliway diffuser. She suggested getting a travel spray and a cheap plug in freshener, emptying the original plug in, cleaning it thoroughly then putting the travel spray liquid into the container that fits. Would that work?

Link to CatChat