Author Topic: Ginny in at vets already ...  (Read 2420 times)

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Re: Ginny in at vets already ...
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
[I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way  :)  I'm sure Ginny will be absolutely fine, she looks very sturdy for her age - although you do realise that she will require extra treats and cuddles after the op  :sneaky:

I'm not sure just how many more cuddles and treats we could give her - but we'll give it a good go! ;D

Have to say we're really pleased with how the boys are reacting to her now.

Jasper who doesnt like fights (unless he starts them it appears!), doesnt like being shouted at or hissed at - so when Ginny's been hissing at him he's done the quick reverse thing and we were a little concerned about that. However, now it appears that he's, not getting used to it, but maybe that he understands that the new cat in the house is just making herself known - she's not as laid back as our Little J, and is instead of backing off straight away just sitting there and then moving away after a little while - so hopefully Ginny will realise that Jasper is not a threat.

Sully - we're astounded at Sully! When Ginny first arrived he miaowed at her, she hissed at him, he then hissed back at her and that has followed on. However, since Sunday especially Sully has not hissed back when Ginny's hissed at him - so again we hope that he understands she's just making herself known and that one day she'll stop.  I think Ginny and Sully will have the same kind of relationship Suki and Sully had where they can tolerate each other and only hiss if they surprise each other - which we can handle!

Thanks for the M&S recommendation - though I've heard on here that they have changed something to do with a 0 excess, the actual policy/wording/cost, cant remember.

Ginny is already registered at our vets and the first they need to see her is in about 2ish months, so I dont have to worry too much about getting her insured before we officially own her.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »
So, new cat, new adventure it appears!  :wow:

I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way  :)  I'm sure Ginny will be absolutely fine, she looks very sturdy for her age - although you do realise that she will require extra treats and cuddles after the op  :sneaky:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:18:41 AM »
Good luck at the vets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 22:27:27 PM »
With M&S you can have nil excess but I think on both sainsburies and M&S you have a 14 day waiting period at the beginning of the insurance when you cant claim, so insure asap is the message  ;D

Hope operation goes really well, sounds like shes gonna be a great cat to have.  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 16:09:25 PM »
Good luck to Ginny.
M&S also insure older cats, i would do it now before the vets can find anything else wrong!!

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 14:47:21 PM »
Wishing Ginny all the best :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 13:27:40 PM »
Oh I'm sure she'll be fine - even if she is aged 14!

She is such a strong healthy cat we do wonder if she is that old, but if that's what they've said, that's what they've said - our vets have registered her as 14. I havent got any quarms about putting her through a general at that age, Suki on the other hand was just too weak to be put through any kind of surgery (so glad we didnt do that straight away as it wouldnt have helped).

Once Ginny is officially ours we'll get her insured, probably with Sainsburys again (as they appear to be the only ones I could find that would take older cats on, when I was looking for insurance for Suki when she was 8 years).

We wanted to get some weight on her, as she is quite thin we think, and noticed she wasnt really eating Whiskas, tried her on Tescos, but still didnt eat much. Then we remembered that the rehoming centre had pallets of Felix in their office - so we bought some 'As good as it looks' - we know we've probably shot ourselves in the foot by buying this - but she loved the stuff - plus the boys appear to be liking the fact that they're getting the 'treat' food!  ;D

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 13:31:06 PM by scattycat »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:48:36 AM »
I'm sure Ginny will be fine.  When Max came to live with me he was at the vets in the first week as he had sniffles, and being FIV couldn't be too careful.

She'll be fine, and glad she's settling in quickly  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
Good luck, Ginny! I'm sure she'll be fine.  ;)

From my experience, it's not unusual for rescue cats to fall prone to something or over as they settle in their new homes. They've been through some very unsettling times, often injured or sick, kept in pens, or just when they've settled at a fosterers, they get uprooted again.

Tummy upsets are perhaps the most common of problems I've come across, as cats get used to new diets and new water sources.

But it really is bad luck that poor Ginny fell for this problem....  :(

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Good luck to Ginny!

I'm sure she'll do fine.

When we adopted Smoke she had runny poo and a bit of blood, so a few days after we got her we had to take her to the vets. It was worms, so we wormed her (luckly she's always wanting food) and put some flee stuff on her and my other cat.

They warned us about the rescue we got her from, they don't neuter the animals nor do they do more than give them their first batch of shots which Smoke had the day before we got her so she couldn't have been at the rescue long.

Each one has a different policy, some are better than others. Least you caught the problem with Ginny and took her to the vets!

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Ginny in at vets already ...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »
I've got a post running in the 'Our cats stories' section about the new cat we rehomed on Saturday and unfortunately (mainly due to the system they use to rehome cats) we noticed that she had a baloon type thing on one of the cheeks of her face.

We took her to the centres vets who said it was a sebatious (sp!) cyst and that it should really be removed. Eventually we decided that lil Ginny would have the work done at the centres vets (as they quoted £100, our vets quoted £250!). We did say that we'd be willing ot pay for 50% of the costs are they are a charity and also the fact that we will be keeping her as she has settled in incredibly well to our home and the two boys just appear to not react when she hisses at them now - which must be a good sign.

So she's booked in to have the cyst removed on Monday 23 July - July appears to be a time when vets like to take holiday it seems  ;D.

Whilst she's under the general we're going to have her microchipped at the same time, as it'll cause her less distress that way.

So, new cat, new adventure it appears!  :wow:

Link to CatChat