Author Topic: I think Suzie's going downhill - she's gone  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: I think Suzie's going downhill
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:10:10 AM »
My thoughts are with you at this sad time, when the vet comes I am sure he or Jane will do a final MOT to confirm that the final act of kindness is the right option.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
Thoughts and prays with you, Gillian.  :(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
 :hug:m Thinking of you both.. xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »
Thannks for all your kind words and support. I'm waiting for the vet to ring me. Suzie kept hiding herself away yesterday afternoon and evening in one of the beds in the garage. She came indoors in the evening and I sat her on my lap for a bit and when I went to bed she seemed settled on a bit of vetbed on the worktop. I woke up about 4 am and she wasnt there, found her in the garage again, so I bought her indoors, bed and all, and took her into my bedroom, after shushing all the others out, and shut the door, so she wouldnt be disturbed. She stayed there until I got up.

She's come out into the garden, and she's sat and had a really long drink again - I keep thinking thats a good sign isnt it? - that she's still got the urge to keep herself going. I was convinced yesterday night that the right thing was pts, but today I feel if she could just get really stabilised again, but perhaps its already too late for that, I don't know now - I know I'm clutching at straws, so I hope my vet will help my decision.

EDITED, to say, the vet has just rung and he's helped me to see that pts is the best thing I can do for her now. Either he, or Jane, the practice owner, will be coming to the house after morning surgery.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:48:15 AM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about Suzie , Gillian. Hopefully there is some improvement today. Good luck with whatever decision you have to make  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 22:50:58 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear this, we are all here for you and will support you as much as we can .

Give Suzie a stroke from all of us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 20:58:55 PM »
Sorry Gillian..I am very glad you've had an excellent month though  :hug:

It could possibly be the crf affecting her blood pressure or quite possibly toxins building up in her system beginning to affect the cns.

It wont be an easy decision for you to make but i know you'll make the right one  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 20:14:12 PM »
So sorry Gillian, it's a heartbraking decision to have to make.  Whatever happens we are all here for you  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 20:05:30 PM »
So sorry too. Take care of both of yourselves. xxx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 19:02:19 PM »
So sorry Gillian. We're all here for you. Whatever decision you take you are doing what is best for Suzie. She's had such a grand old time with you. A wonderful pud.

Thinking of you   :hug:

And Suzie  :hug:

Ruth and Lexy

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 18:37:49 PM »
 :hug: sorry to hear about Suzie, thoughts and prayers are sent your way :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 17:27:17 PM »
So sorry, you have a very difficult decision ahead of you.....my thoughts are with you both x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 17:24:12 PM »
Oh no :(  I'm so sorry to read this.  I'm still hoping that she will pick up, but sadly it does seem that there may be nothing further that you can do for her.  I know you'll do the right thing by her if she seems to be suffering.  Will be thinking of you both  :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
Maybe she is suffering with senile dementure? Just thinking what you said about the howling etc. JS has a cat with this and she says that her cat has been doing it too, also getting confused etc.

Its a hard thing to be going through and you will know whats right in your heart.

Please get better Suzie  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Oh, Gillian..!  :hug:

Hunny you've fought so hard and bravely. But you always know in your heart of heart when it's time and I think that's what you're telling us.

It's the hardest thing we have to do for our babies, but it's also the noblest thing.

Sending love to you and yours.

Julie, Jumpy and Tilly

:blow kiss:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »
Oh Gillian , i'm so sorry hun.  :'(  I know exactly how ya feeling and it is one of the hardest and one of the most loving decisions to make for our beloved babes. When it came time for my Benny lad, he knew and so did i that he and i couldn't let him go on in pain if there is no change of getting better to have a good qulaity of life.

What does your vet say?

We will be here for ya.  My love and thoughts are with you.  :Luv: :Luv: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I think Suzie's going downhill - she's gone
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
Suzie hasnt really made any improvement since the steroid jab etc at the vets on Friday, in fact I think she seems worse. She's behaving very oddly and howling, suddenly letting out a blood curdling howl intermittently through the night and day, when I go to her, she seems disorientated. She hasnt eaten for herself since Wed night, so I started syringe feeding Liquivite which she seemed to accept readily, I thought that was encouraging. But, this morning she wouldnt accept it, she obviously doesnt want it. She hadnt drunk much either, although I've still been giving her the 80 ml of subQ fluids every day - this morning she did drink quite a lot, was at the water bowl for a good 5 mins - again I thought that was a good sign, but theres no interest in food, and she seems so weak.

I think I know in my heart that this is the end, she had 4 good weeks, and I mean really good weeks, after being on the drip at the vets and then having the fluids at home, when she was acting pretty much normally, eating well, and doing her usual trick of leaping onto my back when I'm bending over cleaning the litter trays or something, taking me completely unawares!

If the steroids etc she had at the vets havent made any difference this time, I can't see that theres anything else to try - she could have IV fluids on a drip at the vets again, but if it only buys her a bit more time, probably just weeks - is it right to do? I know the answer I suppose really - I mean, only to have her go downhill again like this - I couldnt bear it. I can hardly see through the tears to type this, and actually typing the words is bringing it all home, that I've actually got to let her go.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:59:12 AM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat