Author Topic: New kitten advice needed.  (Read 3938 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: New kitten advice needed.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 18:51:12 PM »
Back to original question.. As previously advised i'd definately be popping along to the vets to get some PROPER kitten milk replacement ie cimicat formula.  Many kittens are only starting weaning at 6 weeks but if he's eating solids well thats good, since he's been deprived of his mothers milk i'd especially recommend a premium brand kitten food IE  Hills science diet or Royal canin kitten (i liked the royal canin as the little bits are tiny so perfect for small mouths) however my cats prefer the hills.  You can use the kitten variety of wet food aswell ie felix or whiskas, You can get the premium brands in wet form also.

Many here like "applaws" tins.

Kitten milk from the supermarket is a treat and should not be used as a drink (water is a must for this) and it wouldnt be a substitute for proper milk replacement.

It may be best to actually keep the kitten in a separate room totally for a week or so or even get a shot of a large dog crate so your cat can see and smell kitten but cant get to him, the dog crates are normally big enough for food/water bowls and a litter tray.

You could also buy feliway diffusers to help oscar relax abit more.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 15:06:03 PM »
s this a new thing, the 8 week rule?  While growing up all of our cats were 5-6 weeks old and bought from pet shops (well it was the 70's!).

It has been 8 weeks for a long time  and certainly rescues have had the 8 week (older if possible) rule for as long as I can remember. Pet shops sadly are a law unto themselves. It is considered very cruel to take kittens away from their mum and any siblings before 8 weeks,  between 5 and 8 weeks they learn many of life's skills from their mum.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 14:51:05 PM »
Definitely feed them separately.   The kitten is way too young to be away from his mother though, he should be at least 8 weeks old  :(
I would get him some kitten milk to give him extra nutrients, either Cimicat or Lactol, or ideally return him back to the breeder for a couple of weeks until he's ready for rehoming.

Is this a new thing, the 8 week rule?  While growing up all of our cats were 5-6 weeks old and bought from pet shops (well it was the 70's!).

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
  • oscar and tobey's mummy.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 13:16:06 PM »
Thank you for the link Tan.  I am printing off the information so I can have a read at it the now.  There is a picture of him on the cat stories forum.  :Luv:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
Hi hun

Have a peek at this link on introducing a new youngling to ya resident cat. http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4789.0

It will give ya more understanding why Oscar is acting the way he is and advice on how to introduce them.  :Luv:

Do ya have any piccies yet  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »
My partner told me that Tobey is actually 7 weeks old not 6.  Does that make a difference?  I am a bit afraid incase he gets ill now.   :(

Oh, hunny, please don't worry!  :hug:

I figure they wouldn't have released him to you unless, A) they had great faith in your care and circumstances, and B) they were bursting at the seams... Just so long as you realise this is far from ideal and another couple of weeks would have been perfect. You'll see great changes in him day or day, and in a few short weeks he'll be much more robust.

When you think on it, though, kittens change and develop so rapidly that even a week can have a real effect on the bonding process and psycological development. All those good folks that work with rescued cats, want to place a kitten and hope that the kitten is secure in that placement for the next 15-20 years! For that to happen, kitten must become a part of the family and have a good relationship with everyone. It's so much harder when kitten is too young, or insecure...

We'd all like all kittens to grow up fit, and well, and be a much loved and very perminant members of their family. If they don't, well, its people like Dawn that pick up the pieces. Perhaps this is why we all get cross and angry when a kitten's start in life isn't perfect...?

Don't take it personally, JoAnne.  :hug:

MBll

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 03:51:34 AM »
The cat  rescue i thought it was is in glasgow (springburn) its a small  homed based one, called glasgow cat rescue run by yvonne....

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 03:44:37 AM »
I have no idea the name of the place but it is a very small organisation.  They don't paid for the work they do but they have been doing it for years and my parents got a cat from them 7 years ago which is how I got them.  We also got Oscar from them which is why I trust them.

My partner told me that Tobey is actually 7 weeks old not 6.  Does that make a difference?  I am a bit afraid incase he gets ill now.   :(

MBll

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 03:35:49 AM »
Cant be CP then as theres no branch there ?   When you contacted the rescue who did you speak to?

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
So would that be the kirkintillochbranch?

It was in Bishopbriggs.

MBll

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 03:24:08 AM »
So would that be the kirkintillochbranch?

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 03:20:22 AM »
Just out of interest what cat rescue did you get the kitten from

mmmmm dont think im going to get an answer ?

sorry for the delayed reply.  I am not sure of the name of the rescue place.  I think it is the Cat Protection League but I could be wrong.   :-:

MBll

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 02:47:58 AM »

mmmmm dont think im going to get an answer ?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 02:42:04 AM »
Ooh! What a dreadful thing for someone to do - dump a new born kitten like that.  :brick: Apart from the effect on baby, mum will be in a terrible state... frantically searching for her babies - it doesn't bare thinking about.  :talk:

JoAnn, Oscar thinks Tobey is a toy. At 18 months, Oscar isn't much more than a kitten himself. He certainly isn't a mature cat. It's just like a three year old human would think of and treat a three month old human. Things will be okay, I'm sure, but you really, really need to supervise. A three year old can hurt a young baby as I'm sure you can imagine. As with children, food and toys can become battle grounds. The simple answer to Oscar pinching Tobey's dinner is to make sure Oscar can't get to it.

MBll

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 02:09:19 AM »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
I think the fact you got him from a rescue makes it worse, they really should know better than to rehome at 6 weeks  >:(  Most rescues have more than one kitten in at a time and it would have been better for him to have some kitten company at least until he got bigger........this isn't down to you and I'm not having a go at you, they are in the wrong  >:(  The rough play is normal but do keep an eye of him as he could easily puncture his skin which will cause infection.    It might be a good idea to distract with dangly toys etc when he starts getting rough just until the kitten is bigger and can defend himself a little more.

Believe it or not, my younger cats/kittens cost me a lot more money than my older ones  :shify:

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 01:59:28 AM »
The kitten is way too young to be away from his mother though, he should be at least 8 weeks old  :(

Sadly he was abandoned in a box when he was a few days old.  The cat rescue place, where I got Oscar from, have looked after him since.  I have given him some kitten milk and he loves that, as well as Asda's kitten food.  Although Oscar does love it as well!  :innocent:  I am also a bit worried that Oscar is playing too rough for him.  He is following him everywhere and putting his mouth around Tobey's neck.  I don't think he is biting but it is worrying me a bit.  Is this normal for an older cat (18 months old) to do to a kitten?

Now why doesn't that surprise me  :censored:  I have had people phoning me wanting very young kittens, and when I refuse, they always say that they've always had them that young and they were fine  >:(

That is horrible.  Although Oscar was 1 year old when we got him I would have gladly taken a 14 year old cat.  People who are only interested in kittens really annoy me.  A cats age shouldn't be a factor.  I can understand why people would be weary of getting an older cat as vets bills aren't exactly cheap but younger cats can be ill as well.   >:(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:02:17 AM »
I saw 2 posts on the other site (you know the tree site)  1 for a 4 week old & other for a 5 week old kittens being sold  :censored:

Now why doesn't that surprise me  :censored:  I have had people phoning me wanting very young kittens, and when I refuse, they always say that they've always had them that young and they were fine  >:(

MBll

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »
I saw 2 posts on the other site (you know the tree site)  1 for a 4 week old & other for a 5 week old kittens being sold  :censored:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 00:54:37 AM »
Lots of people who allow their cats to breed are happy to let the kittens go at 6 weeks  >:(  but between 6/8 weeks, they learn so much from their mum and also need sibling company.  Even when I have orphan kittens in, I do not rehome until they are minimum 8 weeks and then they go with a sibling.  When kittens are taken off their mum too soon, they are prone to illnesses very quickly and as Raties pointed out, they can die very quickly.   At least whilst they are getting mum's milk which they should still be doing at 6 weeks, they will have some immunity.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 00:48:41 AM »
Maybe there are circumstances behind this..? Is this kitten an orphan? Maybe there is no choice?

But I'd like to agree with Dawn and Rattiesrule... at 6 weeks, baby needs his mum.  :Luv:

MBll

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 00:44:14 AM »
Its sad very sad & unacceptable in my books that kittens are bein sold/given away under 8 weeks old they should still be with mum.  At that age they can fall ill very quickly & die as I had experienced with my foster kittens

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 00:35:26 AM »
Definitely feed them separately.   The kitten is way too young to be away from his mother though, he should be at least 8 weeks old  :(
I would get him some kitten milk to give him extra nutrients, either Cimicat or Lactol, or ideally return him back to the breeder for a couple of weeks until he's ready for rehoming.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 00:29:10 AM »
This is what I would do...

Feed both of them at the same time - but have the bowls at opposite sides of the room. When they are finished, or leave the food, remove the bowls. They will get used to each other eventually, I would hope, but in the meantime try to avoid anything they could choose to battle over.

Good luck, and remember...

WE NEED PICTURES.....  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
New kitten advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 00:14:32 AM »
We got Oscar a new playmate today.  Tobey.  6 weeks old.  I am just wondering what I should do about food.  Oscar seems to be very protective over his food bowl, which is understandable, but he is hissing at Tobey whenever he goes near it.  I am worried incase this makes Tobey not want to eat.  Plus Oscar seems to like the kitten food over his own food.  Is it bad for him to eat it?

Link to CatChat