Author Topic: acne on chin?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
Re: acne on chin?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 17:02:20 PM »
 lesley one of mine has the black (flea dirt looking stuff) on her chin
when i first saw it i thought omg has she got fleas !
i will also try changing bowls and wiping her chin with a warm flannel
 :thanks: guys

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 16:51:44 PM »
When Jaffa had acne last year I just washed his face with soap and water and it cleared up, never to return.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 16:38:47 PM »
Ceramic bowls are also ok and dont hold odour like stainless steel. I used hibiscrub on Lolas chin and it didnt take long to clear it up.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 15:58:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  My plastic bowls also go through the dishwasher but will use stainless for Stella as she seems to have it worst at the moment.  will also try cooled boiled water as suggested by Lynn, I can't see Stella taking to well to a hot flannel, she can be tetchy at the best of times. :Crazy:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 15:19:12 PM »
sounds like that was a bad bout lfrankie, its really nasty to get rid of in some cats if it gets hold like that.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 14:49:18 PM »
My cat had acne on his chin and needed a 6 week course of anitiotics to get rid of it even though we took him to the vet as soon as we noticed the black spots.The poor thing had huge infected lumps and lost all of his fur on his chin before it cleared up! Best to get your cat checked out by the vet soon.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 14:26:43 PM »
definately sounds like acne yes.

apparently the plastic / stainless bowl thing is well debated amongst breeders, some say yes other say no.  If the plastic bowls are washed properly they shouldnt be too problematic, mine go through the dish washer after being washed out in sink every day.

Cody had this mild in his first year but has grown out of it .. i believe this is common

The old treatment used to be to rub surgical spirit on, it works but not pleasant for the cat, you could also wash with hibitane solution, I just used to use cooled boiled water on cody.

Just watch out it doesnt become too severe as thats when secondary infection can set in and need extended courses of antibiotics.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 14:22:48 PM »
Switch to stainless steel bowls form plastic, dip the corner of a flannel into hot water and hold against their chin (opens the pores up) and then gently scrub their chin with the damp flannel. Tigger had acne for a while but this is what the vet suggested and it cleared it up.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
acne on chin?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 14:19:47 PM »
A couple of my cats have what can only be described as acne on their chins.  it looks a bit like flea dirt but neither of them have fleas and are regularly treated.  Any ideas?
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat