Author Topic: Suzie not well again  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Suzie not well again
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 21:50:06 PM »
Aww, poor Suzie. Fingers crossed the steroid jabs keep her going.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 21:11:38 PM »
So orrry that Suzie is not well again and that the vets has made her so scared. I am sure she will want to come in later  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 19:32:10 PM »
Well we've been to the vets, and she's had another steroid injection and a long acting antibiotic, because she's got the snuffles too (she has herpesvirus - seems she gets more outbreaks since her kidneys werent working properly) Think she gave her a vitamin jab too. Vet said her breath smelt ureamic - not good.

Anyway, it was awful at the vets - full of big dogs and there wasnt even room to go an sit in the other area for cats.

So she went straight out to the garden when we got back, but has now retreated to the garage where she's hiding in a big wicker basket I've got out there looking very sorry for herself and no sign that she'll be coming in for tea  :'(

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
When my cat has a steroid jab it makes him a whole lot better, and I can see this within the frist day or so. The steroid jabs last about 4 - 6 weeks and they do become less effective as the weeks go by. Maybe he could give her another to perk her up again? Maybe if this is the case she will need them from now on as my cat does.  :shy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »
Poor Suzie - I hope the vet has good news.  Do you think he'll give another steroid injection?  I have heard that they become less effective over time but hopefully if it is that that is making her feel better they'll continue to work for a while yet.  Are you still administering fluids to her?

Yes, but I must admit I missed a couple of days (she wasnt happy about me doing them the past couple of days and so I didnt want to push it - wish I had now) and now I'm feeling like its my fault she's gone downhill.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:55 PM »
Clapton had his steroid injection 2 months ago and has been eating fine - strangely enough until today. He hasn't got of the sofa in the kitchen today, even though I opened some food for him and waved it under his nose - he didn't even want to lick butter off my finger. He is scared of strangers but stayed put when the fire officer came in the kitchen as well. He seems to have off days now & then so I will just see how he is tonight. Maybe they have good & bad days with it. Strange that it had happened on the same day. Maybe a lunar thing?

Edit : I just looked it up and there are a lot of references to kidneys and lunar cycles.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:22 PM »
Poor Suzie - I hope the vet has good news.  Do you think he'll give another steroid injection?  I have heard that they become less effective over time but hopefully if it is that that is making her feel better they'll continue to work for a while yet.  Are you still administering fluids to her?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Suzie not well again
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »
Suzie, my 14 yr old persian with CRF isnt well again. You'll remember about 4 wks ago she was taken into the vets and on a drip for 3 days. She picked up and started on fortekor and fluids at home. She hasnt eaten this morning and wouldnt even take her fortekor wrapped in wafer thin ham - which she normally loves. She's been eating fine up till this morning. She didnt even come downstairs until I started getting their food ready, and then I think it was just automatic pilot and she just sat in front of her dish - the mind was willing but I don't think the body was.

I'm beginning to wonder now if it was the steroid injection she had at the vets that has made her seem so much better, rather than the fortekor and fluids - as I remember hearing (think it was Helen) that the steroid injection lasts a certain time, but gradually it becomes less effective. Its been 4 wks to the day she had the injection. I'm gutted, because she was doing so well and I thought it was set to continue with the medication and fluids. I've got an appointment at the vets this evening.  :(

Link to CatChat