Author Topic: Has Polly had a stroke? Anyone know the symptoms and prognosis or useful links?  (Read 20059 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
See about Vets now on my thread Emergency vets grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So please Polly is eating and hope she continues to do well.

To help her to eat, try raising her dish up on top of 6 pack of coke cans......well about that height and she may find it eassier cos she doesnt have to bend down. Kocka ate from there for the last couple of years, or from my finger !

I think you are doing everything you can and I am sure the TLC is helping her so much    :hug: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Glad Polly is eating and settled.  Sounds as if she's feeling a bit better, and hope you are too!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
She ate quite a pile of the turkey (which I tore into little pieces). She seemed more reluctant than yesterday about putting her head down to eat, so I stuffed the turkey in her mouth in tiny portions, once in, she loved the taste and ate it willingly. Had to shut Sam in the kitchen with her portion, as she goes bonkers when I get it out of the fridge. I had to put it on the mantel to warm a little, and Sam was trying to get at it! Don't think she'll ever eat Whiskas again!

Polly's on the sofa in her large carrying cage, having a snooze. The kittening pen is in the bedroom and I want her to be with me, and she seems comfy in the cage.

Gave my mum a ring about the mince, now have strict instructions (she's a 90 year old dragon, I was a late child!) about cooking it. Will give the tinned mince with onions to Nigel, sure my junk-food friend will put it on some instant mash or something!

Will check the petitions Ela, thanks.

Money isn't a consideration as far as her care is concerned. An MRI scan is out of my financial reach, but the vet advised against it anyway, because if it did show a tumour or heamorrhage, there's little which can be done with those results. But if it could help, I'd twist the arm of the dragon (my mother).

She's looking very settled at the mo.

Thanks for the support, everyone, it's nice to have people to talk to who understand how important cats are to us.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Glad Polly is getting her appetite back.  It must be an encouraging sign?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Ela, have you come across vetsnow before, are they known for being particularly hopeless?

See topic in Animal Petitions
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
It's great news that Polly is fighting and good luck with the turkey. I would keep her away from the onions though.
good luck!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
She's not insured, Rosella, but I keep a slush fund for vet bills. I'd rather put money into that (and earn interest) than give it to an insurance company. I'm sure there are good arguments both ways, but I'm not sure they would have insured such elderly ladies anyway.

Going to try more turkey now. (If she's forgiven me for the antibiotic I gave her an hour ago!).

Yes it's a difficult one to call but glad slush fund available for Polly. Whilst M&S will cover any age it's bloomin expensive and, as any existing conditions not covered and most elderly puddies have ishoos of one kind or another, difficult to say if worthwhile. Good luck with the turkey.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Thanks lilycat.

Ela, have you come across vetsnow before, are they known for being particularly hopeless?

She's not insured, Rosella, but I keep a slush fund for vet bills. I'd rather put money into that (and earn interest) than give it to an insurance company. I'm sure there are good arguments both ways, but I'm not sure they would have insured such elderly ladies anyway.

Going to try more turkey now. (If she's forgiven me for the antibiotic I gave her an hour ago!).
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
You're taking such good care of her  :Flowers:  and it does sound too early to be talking about pts...stupid vet  >:(. You'll know when it's the right time and hopefully that won't be for some time yet  :)

I hope she's feeling better today...love and hugs to you both  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Delighted that Polly seems to be progressing especially that she is eating. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you how to cook the mince and how long it will keep but I would just lighly fry in a tiny amount of  olive oil for 5 or 10 mins asit will produceit's own fat unless very lean and keep in fridge for say 4 days if it's very cold.  Chuck out though if it loses it's red colour in fridge.  Fingers crossed she continues to improve and eat.  Have you tried the sardines in Tomato sauce that everyone seems to be swear by when a cat loses it's appetite?  

Is she insured? My vet also uses VetsNOW at PDSA on Hagley Road for out of hours cover altho I thought they were also PDSA vets and they are extremely expensive. My former vet practice still provide their own out of hours cover and therefore cheaper but it is a Manor Vets practice which is like a chain and had become very impersonal and Gandolf's pts went very badly so I couldn't justify staying. I am now with Lordswood Vets (opposite swimming baths in Harborne) and really rate Mr Watts (former barrister and draws cartoons as a hobby. He is also the vet for Birmingham Dogs Home which is a bit more to the point lol)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
service called VETSNOW

What a surprise.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
No cc, they work from the PDSA building at night and weekends, but it's some kind of locum service called VETSNOW which apparently stands for vets night or weekends. Since vets stopped doing their own out of hours on-call work, they use this (and probably different versions of the same type of thing in other areas) so they can get their beauty sleep.

Years ago, I dated a vet who worked in Stoubridge and used to stay with him when he was on call; he was rarely called out, and on the odd occasions that he had to see a case, it didn't particular cracker him.

The out of hours service cost £144, compared to the £16 consultation fee plus meds my normal vet charges. Wouldn't have minded if the service had been good. He may have been right in that she will (but not yet) have to be pts, but he said it clinically and in a 'let's get on with the job now' way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:51:33 AM by Hippykitty »

ccmacey

I hope she is getting better  :)

Was it a PDSA vet that suggested PTS HK?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Sorry I haven't updated before, but have been busy nursing and running around for Polly. Raided the local shop and butcher (haven't been in one of those for 27 years!) and bought anything cat-tasty I could find. The woman in the butcher's recommended mince and turkey slices. Polly LOVES the turkey (so does Sam!) and ate a decent amount in the afternoon. Since then she's had some more and not quite half a satchet of whiskas. She's drinking water about twice a day.

Borrowed a kittening pen from CP, which she goes into when she's tired, or I've got to leave her (to have a bath or go shopping, or SLEEP!). I let her wander round the lounge for a few hours a day, to give her some sense of co-ordination as she tries to stagger round. Touch wood, I think she's slowly improving.

Saw the vet at 5.30 yesterday, so may not have arrived when you drove past, Rosella, I was in a blue car (my friend Rebekah and her OH Nigel came with me). The vet was cautious in his opinion that she was improving, but added that this could be a small improvement in a general downhill slope if she has a brain tumour (if she's had a stroke, he thinks this is the cause). He wants to see her again early next week. Will probably take her on Wed, as Rebekah is free then, and would like her to be with me in case of bad news. He noticed that, although she's still unsteady and circling, she stays on her feet. (I think she circles in the surgery because he faces her to the wall so she turns round to find somewhere to hide! She doesn't circle at home, just staggers, though this SEEMS to be improving.)

She on antibiotics (synulox sp?) and steroids (prednisolone). She takes them fairly well.

The on-call vet was the one at the Hagley Road PDSA 'Vetsnow'. His comment about having her pts came directly after I'd told him how old she is (about 19/20, a bit indeterminate, as she was a feral when taken in at the cat rescue, so her age was guessed, I've had her and Sam since 93).  I think he's one of these vets who considers old age not worth bothering with. If he was a doctor, he'd have the same attitude to people: not worth treating if you're over 70.

Thanks for all your good wishes  :thanks: will try to keep you informed as circumstances allow. But I'm now either sleeping or giving tlc.

Oh, a little question for any omnivores. What is the best way to cook fresh mince for cats? How long will it keep in the fridge (mine's very cold) after being cooked? Don't have a freezer. Seems like centuries since I've cooked meat, my friends are veggies (and Nigel lives on junk food) and my mother's spending the summer with a sister in Bournemouth, so can't ask her.
Also, I bought some tinned mince which has onions in. Should I give this to the cats, or pass it on to Nigel?  :hungey:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
Bobsmum - sadly, cats not starving themselves isn't true. When we dont eat, our bodies send fat reserves to keep us going - in humans and dogs, this is fine, we process them, whereas in cats, they struggle to process these reserves, and as a result there is a build up in the liver, which tends to make them feel as though they are full, when in fact they haven't eaten, so they can become anorexic quite easily, and the cycle is very hard to break, as the reserves keep being sent, so the brain still sends full messages

Thanks for advice,  Im still a bit ignorant when i comes to sickness and stuff as Bob never took any illness's in the 6yrs we had him, maybe if I was as clued up as you guys I might have been able to question vets methods instead of just nodding and saying 'do whatever you have to'

Hope Polly is well today  :Luv:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Hi Hippykitty. How is Polly?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Have to say I dont worry as much with the 'normal' cats not eating as I did when Tom didn't eat. Still only allow them a day though, and always have syringes and a/d in.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
The article said the chances are greater of FLS in a cat that was obese to begin with. I realise that doesn't mean always but I take comfort where I can.....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
if you read Dawn's post, it doesn't always happen to overweight cats, and she isn't the only person on here to have lost a cat to HL
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Thanks Desley. Comforting to know that I don't have any fat cats (or should that be weight challenged?) at the moment. TBH Gandolf was my one and only fat cat ever and wouldn't be surprised if that's what he suffered from at the end reading that link. Loved him so  :Luv:

How's things Hippykitty?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Here is an article which describes it better than me

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hep-lipidosis.html

And a very basic description, for those who dont want to look at links

The disease progresses this way:
A previously overweight cat stops eating for whatever reason
Lacking food, the body starts sending fat cells to the liver to process into lipoproteins for fuel.
Cats' livers are not terribly efficient at processing fat, and much of the fat is stored in the liver cells.
Left untreated, eventually the liver fails and the cat dies
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 22:17:48 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
I've not heard that before Desley. Am now wondering why my former vet (former note) always told me it was no bad thing that our Gandolf was a "bit" overweight in his later years (died age 18 or 19) as he would have reserves to fall back on if he was ill. Whereas you are saying they "struggle to process these reserves". I have always got some solace from the fact that Tommy is still 5.2kg at 17 1/2 years of age altho it's mainly muscle not fat.

In any event would love to know how Polly's getting on. Hope it's just a case of Hippykitty's visitors again.

I can well understand Gill's point about feeling sick if feeling dizzy. Thankfully Hippykitty got vet to give some steroids which hopefully will help Polly's appetite if dizziness stops.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Bobsmum - sadly, cats not starving themselves isn't true. When we dont eat, our bodies send fat reserves to keep us going - in humans and dogs, this is fine, we process them, whereas in cats, they struggle to process these reserves, and as a result there is a build up in the liver, which tends to make them feel as though they are full, when in fact they haven't eaten, so they can become anorexic quite easily, and the cycle is very hard to break, as the reserves keep being sent, so the brain still sends full messages. This is why HL is more common in overweight cats, as they have the fat reserves to send. They dont tend to develop it in 24 hours, but it can be as little as 3 days, although some cats can go up to 2 weeks before it can be an issue. I personally dont let them have more than 1 day to be on the safe side.
Hope Polly continues to improve Hippy
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I dont know if cats with inner ear probs suffer in same way as humans and if they do I can help with the human probs  :sick:

When you have a problem like this it makes you dizzy and unbalanced and you feel terrible. It is hard to move cos you get dizzy changing position and getting dizzy makes you sick, or feeling sick so food is about the last thing on your mind....Its not a case of stimulation of taste and smell , you are just physicaly incapaple of eating cos of the dizzyness and sickness.

It does all depend on how badly you have the problem and what effects you will have, I had a virus the first time and collapsed in the street after intermitent dizzy spells for a couple of weeks before but the second time the virus did more damage and although I am not dizzy and sick I am unbalanced and if I tried to do the things that I cant balance for it would have that effect and the virus was 4 yrs ago now!

I suspect cats are slightly different and of course other things can cause this like heart, stroke, diabetes, stress so you really need to take the guidance of your vet , especially if you trust him.

Hope that Polly slowly improves. :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Sorry Hippykitty also meant to ask who you use for emergency vets? We use Vets Now on Hagley Road which is the PDSA place but SOOOO expensive and not very nice. Only times I've been they were OK but just gave pain relief till the Monday and advised to go to usual vet.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
How did Polly get on tonight at the vet Hippykitty? I drove past at 5.24pm coming home from work and wondered if you were both in there. Silver car and red car at front. Was that you? Do you get the impression that Polly is on my mind?  So hope that she is continuing to prove 1st vet wrong but it all sounds very serious whatever it is that has caused this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
My mum was told not to worry as a cat can go 5 days as well but since going on catchat/purrs, I have learned differently that a cat can develop fatal liver disease in around 24 hours without food.

I lost my Norwegian Forest cat to Hepatic Lipidosis and she wasn't really overweight  :'(  I would always be careful when they don't eat, regardless of size  :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
My mum was told not to worry as a cat can go 5 days as well but since going on catchat/purrs, I have learned differently that a cat can develop fatal liver disease in around 24 hours without food.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
If I was in your shoes, I would try syringing just to keep her strength up..... I would ask the vets about some Hill's a/d and even if you only get a little down her, it's better than nothing.  Fingers crossed she improves bless her.

I asked the vet about the symptoms, and they did say Polly's symptoms sound exactly the same as the kittens but they've only had a reaction with kittens and not adults, they said it may just be a coincidence with her having the Milbemax the day before.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
 When my cat wasn't eating vet told us not to stress about it as a cat will never starve its self, they can go up to 5 days without eating apparently.

Hope you get some good news today.Fingers crossed and praying for you all. Take care of yourself, you will need to keep your strength up.
 :hug: :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

ccmacey

When my mums cat got ill and wasnt eating she syringed him raw egg yolk.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Just caught up with this thread after reading the other one!

Hope Polly starts eating soon.

Is she drinking ? If not it might be a good idea to syringe some water into her

I would deff put in a complaint with the 1st vet - just say you had took his advice and PTS !!!!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
I am keeping my fingers crossed that vet no. 2 is correct. But if he is, I'd like a word with vet no. 1 myself!  :boxer:

Fluid intake would be my concern as well, HP. Have you thought of smearing a small amount of soft food on her nose?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
or steroids if he thinks it right as they cause the munchies. Poor Polly must be feeling really sick. She may vomit though if you force feed, which would be worse. If she's peeing, she must be drinking? Don't worry about the not eating as the vet is there and if it comes to the liver problem thing, he can put her on a drip to avoid that.
hope for some better news tonight.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Perhaps the vet may consider giving Polly a B6 injection to encourage eating.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Just checking up on Polly - hope she eats soon.  Have you tried the water from tuna in springwater?  That might reawaken her tastebuds.  Let us know how it goes this evening.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Just wanted to add my support, I know how worrying it is when they won't eat  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
it isn't a stressful thing to have done (or wasn't when Ginger had it done). Good luck with her, and I am glad you have a vet you trust.

My Jeannie has to have hers done every two months but she has a 2 hr appointmet to give her time to rest and get used once again to the vet and nurse. if they do it straight away it can go up by 100 more than it really is.

I expect different cats act in different ways., as I am sure if it were my Jessica she would just lay there and purr.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I'm keeping everything crossed for Polly and hope she starts eating soon.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I wouldn't worry about her not eating yet Hippy, it is normally overweight cats that can have issues so soon after not eating, and if the vet isn't bothered, and doesnt' want you syringe feeding her, then I would go off his advice, he is the one that has seen her - and he is seeing her tonight, so can reassess if necessary. i am glad he doesn't think it is a stroke, I'm not sure why he wouldnt check her BP though, it isn't a stressful thing to have done (or wasn't when Ginger had it done). Good luck with her, and I am glad you have a vet you trust.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat