Author Topic: Has Polly had a stroke? Anyone know the symptoms and prognosis or useful links?  (Read 20052 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Great news all round  :wow:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Update: Polly is 101% better. She's running up and down stairs like a mountain goat and playing me up again. She seems better than before she was ill.

I'm so relieved.

Thanks for all your support, Polly sends her purrs too.

:thankyou:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I dont know the answer Swampy except to say they are outrageously expensive, a long way from anyone who does not live in a big place and can do very little that takes time cos they work out of PDSA buildings and have to vacate them early in the morning and all their patients have to be gone too.

PTS was also mentioned to me because it seems people went for that rather than pay out for treatment but in my case there was no time for treatment cos of the length of the journey and I had rung three times before I took Kocka there cos the person that answered the phone first said its gonna cost £100 just to come in and maybe your cat can wait till the morning.

I should have demanded to speak to the vet but did not have the knowledge that I have now, thanks to catchat and purrrs. I also had no transport but know had I been in London I would have gone to my vets other surgery by taxi as soon as I was worried about Kocka.

I think that the Vets that use Vets Now are in fairy land about this service and that includes my vet!  >:( >:(

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Just found the vets now website and sent them this via their 'contact us' section:

I recently had cause to contact vets now as my cat was circling, howling, and unable to stand properly. This was in the late evening. I was given vets now's number when I phoned my vet number. I was astonished by the quoted cost of merely walking through the door: £130! The woman on phone emotionally blackmailed me into taking my cat in by saying that she couldn't guarantee she would survive till the morning. I love my cat, so took her, inspite of having limited resources.
When I arrived at the PDSA building which housed vets now, everything was dim, as though it was shut and they were all in bed! This doesn't amount to at-the-ready emergency care. The vet I saw said my cat had had a stroke and the kindest thing would be pts. Luckily, I took no notice of his advice.
The following day she saw my regular vet, who diagnosed probable vestibular disease and treated her with antibiotics and a short course of steroids. Within a week she was considerably better.
Many people would have taken the appalling advice of the vets now vet and had their beloved animal pts. I didn't because I'm sceptical of all medical advise until I've researched the symptoms myself. Others would now have a dead pet and be grieving unnecessarily.
I strongly object to the level of care given by vets now. PTS should be a last resort, not a casual remark given curtly to a concerned owner.
I saw a vets now vet at 456 Hagley Road West, Oldbury B68 0DL on 4/7/2007 at approximately midnight.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
I would definitely take it further probably in writing. It's high priced incompetence. Good luck though as vets close ranks like all the professions, but like Ela said, it just may make them a bit more careful with someone else's loved cat in the future.
Are all the Vets Now emergency vets hopeless as they do emergency cover in SE London too and my vet thinks they are good. I only rang them up once and the nurse told me not to come, as all they could do was stabilise so I'd waste my money and time - she was very nice. So is this a particular branch best avoided then, or across the board?

Wonderful wonderful news anyhow and I'll bet you're enjoying those Polly-purrs like never before.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
There is no connection between your vet and Vets Now, except he uses their service. He should be interested that they are so bad, maybe its worth mentioning to him what happened and see what he says?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey

If I'd gone along with him Polly would be buried in the garden instead of purring on my lap.  :oh noo:

Excatly !!

How many other people would have just taken what he said as fact ?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
contact the head of the emergency vets and complain.

How do I find out who this is? Should I contact the PDSA branch who allow them to use their building? Or try to find a contact address/email for VetsNow from a website?

My only concern about doing this is how it will affect my relationship with my vet, who is brilliant apart from the use of VetsNow. I'm concerned that I'll have to find another vet, or that he'll give my cats second-rate care.

Perhaps my concerns are a bit paranoid; and I do think that the cost and the advice given by the emergency vet was appalling. If I'd gone along with him Polly would be buried in the garden instead of purring on my lap.  :oh noo:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Wonderful news. Perhaps now is the time to contact the head of the emergency vets and complain. It may help to save the life of others whose owners are not so well informed.

I would add, If the head of the practice doesn't give you satisfactory answers, I would take it to the RCVS - they can't play god with our pets
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Good news indeed!

And I agree with Ela about taking this matter further.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Wonderful news. Perhaps now is the time to contact the head of the emergency vets and complain. It may help to save the life of others whose owners are not so well informed.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
That fabulous news  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Another wonderful update, am so pleased to hear it.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Wonderful news  ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Update: Polly went to the vet earlier today. He thinks she's definitely improving and doesn't have to go back again. She has to continue the antibiotics for a little longer.

She's purring on my lap now. I think she knows! She's still a little wobbly, but vet says this will slowly improve, though could take weeks.

I'll be glad when she can walk downstairs again, otherwise I'll have to get a stair gate fitted!! She skids down them!

Thanks for all your good wishes.

:thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
You definately are not bothering us, we would be hounding you if you didnt keep us up to date  ;D

I am pleased that Polly is doing so well and slowly slowly is the best way  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
You're not bothering us, don't even say that. Think I can speak for others when I say we all care and we all want to know how little Polly is doing. Hope you got some sleep after 3am?!

I'll second that.  Only just catching up on this thread, and it sounds like she making excellent progess  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Thanks for letting me bother you with her little achievements. I realise it may be giving me false hope, but taking things day by day.  :ok:

You're not bothering us, don't even say that. Think I can speak for others when I say we all care and we all want to know how little Polly is doing. Hope you got some sleep after 3am?!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw.....slowly does it  ;D

Good luck for Polly HK.......hopefully she is on the road to recovery  ;)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Was just off to bed (after falling asleep in front of telly!) and decided to give Polly her exercises and some food first. 

The exercises are just: me kneeling, holding Polly's front legs and walking her back legs towards me. Big cuddle. Then a few more goes. I thought this might help her coordination and strengthen her legs. She's getting better.

After this came the feeding. I was putting out fresh water and food in the kitchen for Sam, before hand-feeding Polly, when Polly walked in and tucked into Sam's, who stood back and let her. She's only had a little, but eaten it on her own. I won't give her anymore, so she can learn that if she eats herself, she avoids the ordeal of being handfed.  ;D

I was so amazed by this, I had to tell someone - at 3am!

Here's hoping she continues to improve. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my vet is right about the vestibular disease due to ear infection.

Thanks for letting me bother you with her little achievements. I realise it may be giving me false hope, but taking things day by day.  :ok:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
That's great news!  Lots of turkey and your tlc and Polly will get stronger. It's so wonderful to watch isn't it when they've been so ill and then they do something simple that you used to take for granted, like jumping up on your lap. Hope she continues to make steady progress.

Ho hum...message from Sam: Forget the Whiskas, gimme that white stuff  :rofl:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
 :rofl: :rofl: nice one Sam.

:Luv: :Luv: fingers crossed for Polly
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Am glad the vet is seeming positive about her, and hope that she makes a full recovery. Good luck to her.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Polly sounds like she is slowly improving  ;D

Yes I think you are right about the eating and her getting giddy. And yes again about back legs trying to compensate.

If you think of Minimopsical, she splays her legs to try and stay balanced.

Lots of love to Polly  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Fingers crossed.  :blow kiss:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Hi, another update. Took Polly to vet earlier. She's managing to walk in a straight line (even sneaked up the stairs when my back was  turned, and jumped over a box of books!).  Her back legs are a bit oddly splayed.

My vet now believes she probably has vestibular disease (commonly confused with strokes, according to some searches I've done) which makes her feel very giddy. He's giving her antibiotics, but cutting down the steroids as this may not be good for her age if she has underlying conditions such as kidney problems. He doesn't want to do too many tests at this time, as this would involve too much stress which he wants to avoid at the mo.  According to my vet, the splayed back legs are a balancing compensation. I mentioned diabetes, as I'd done a search for conditions causing hind leg weakness, and this was a highly featured one. He'd noticed that her legs were showing a different type of weakness (she walks on her paws, with diabetes they walk on their hocks).

He said it could be anything from a week to months for her to get over this, provided she hasn't got a tumour. After a few weeks, the situation should be reassessed and pts considered if necessary. This isn't an option at the mo, as far as I'm concerned. She seems a happy old lady.

Right now she's fast asleep on my sofa, cuddled up to one of my jumpers. Will wake her up soon to give her a meal of sliced beef. I have to put bits into her mouth as she won't bend forward (probably too dizzy) but she eats willingly when in mouth.

Yesterday, I noticed that Sam had been to the Ministry of Silly Walks. She was goose-stepping with her back legs, trying to copy Polly. I think the clever cat has worked out that this is the way to get REAL meat!  :rofl:

Fingers crossed for the best.  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
How is Polly today, Hippykitty?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Am so pleased to hear such a positive update, she is very lucky to have such a good owner and not one that listens to the everything the vet recommends. Does make you worry about our out of hours services though!! Good luck for WEdnesday, I am sure the vet will be pleased with her progress though, and dont apologise for telling us all these little things, we are all really pleased to read them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Something great has just happened. She just had the power and control in her back legs to jump onto my lap.  ;D

I'm ecstatic!!

She couldn't do this last night.

Sorry I keep telling you her little achievements, but it's so wonderful I can't keep it to myself and my friends are getting a bit tired of my calls!

I don't think any of us get fed up with hearing about cats - especially if its good news  ;D
Wll done Polly & HK  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I'm ecstatic!!

Very understandable, wonderful news.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I am so pleased, well done Polly  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
That's great news  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Completely delighted for you both. Well done Polly. 
Boo hiss spit.... to VetsNOW vet.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
that's wonderful! So happy for you  :hug:

• Super Cat
 :hug: great news, keep up the good work :hug:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Something great has just happened. She just had the power and control in her back legs to jump onto my lap.  ;D

I'm ecstatic!!

She couldn't do this last night.

Sorry I keep telling you her little achievements, but it's so wonderful I can't keep it to myself and my friends are getting a bit tired of my calls!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
From what you write, I think we can have cautious optimism that the improvement is not a temporary thing.   :hug:

My best wishes to Polly.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
She loved the mince and ate about three quarters of a large tablespoon with relish. I had to put a little into her mouth first, then she dug in.

She's looking better in herself: more alert, in better condition; but her back legs still aren't under her control. Strange, she's stopped circling and her front legs seem much better, but when she uses her back legs they sort of splay to the sides.

She's eating well - I'm still having to stuff the turkey into her mouth, raising it doesn't seem to help - but hiding and sleeping lots when she's in the lounge. Having said that, she's just popped out and walked across the lounge slowly. I'm sure she's got more control of her back legs  ;D

Day by day she seems to be improving. (Touch wood)

I know I have to lose her sometime and I'll never be ready, but not yet.

She's just walked slowly and steadily into the kitchen and is having a drink.

I'm taking her back to the vet on wednesday. I hope the improvement continues and isn't just a temporary thing.

Strangely, taking care of a poorly cat is bringing out the best in me. The washing up has never been so regularly done. It's galvanised me into action.

It was so sweet last night. I was watching a video of Garfield in the lounge with Polly on my lap, when Sam jumped up and washed Polly's back, then settled, resting her chin on Polly. We all fell asleep together and woke at about 2am, Polly purring away.  :Luv:

Sam's loving the new diet.

• Super Cat
 :hug: Great to hear Polly is eating, keep well.

Also had to use Vetsnow when Bob took suddenly ill, cost a fortune, away to read link now

love to you all

angie x
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Link to CatChat