Author Topic: Milbemax. Anyone experienced any reactions?  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Milbemax. Anyone experienced any reactions?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
For Polly updates, please see the "Has Polly had a stroke?" thread.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 16:58:46 PM »
How is Polly doing :scared:
Caroline xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 15:40:19 PM »
Any update on Polly today ?

Hope she is feeling better

xxxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 07:39:12 AM »
Fingers crossed for her Hippy. I wouldn't use Milbemax on her again, but lots of cats have it with no problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 03:14:30 AM »
This is the bit from the site, it relates to overdosing, and describes how she is:

Overdose

In case of overdosing, mydriasis, depression, drooling, paresis, trembling and/or staggered gait can occur in some dogs. The symptoms will disappear spontaneously within a day. No antidote is known.

I checked what 'paresis' is, my electronic dictionary says:

a condition of muscular weakness caused by nerve damage or disease; partial paralysis.

I hope it is just a reaction to the drug. If so, I'm not using those on any cat again!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:05:28 AM »
I took her to the emergency vet earlier. I told him about the worming tablet, but he seemed to think she'd had a stroke. He gave her a painkiller and steroids. I don't think he's right about the stroke. All I can do is wait and see. I'm keeping her in a large wire-type carrying cage over-night. She's quieter since the injections. I'm playing her some quiet Mozart, hoping it will help to heal her.

As soon as I told the vet her age, he immediately said she'd probably have to be pts. OVER MY DEAD BODY! She's not ready. I'll know when she wants to go to the bridge. She's fighting.

I'm hoping that when the toxins have cleared her system, she'll slowly recover. The Milbemax website mentions a reaction very like the one she's experiencing, and says it clears in a day or so.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 23:51:00 PM »
Hippy, how's Polly doing?  Fingers crossed she's okay  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 22:14:24 PM »
Dawn, Polly's getting worse. She's virtually unable to move. When she tries, she loses balance and howls. She obviously in distress. Friends say I should wait 24 hours or so from the time I first noticed symptoms, as it says on the manufacturer's site that this reaction disappears within a day or so. It's so frightening to see her like this.

She's a medium size cat, and only had half a tablet.

I would get onto the vets immediately.......I wouldn't wait til morning, she sounds as if she's having a bad reaction to it  :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 22:13:28 PM »

Dawn - do you not use the kitten Milbemax?

Des, what else would I use on kittens???  To use Kitten milbemax, kittens still have to be a certain weight and age but Ian was saying, they have had kittens that had reacted to it so he has advised not to use.  I usually give half a tablet to kittens........that is a kitten tablet not adult, unless they are really chunky kittens and then they get one.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 22:02:39 PM »
I have never come across a cat that has had a reaction to it, and I think if she is no better by the morning, a vet visit is in order - I would actually be tempted to ring the emergency vet and have a chat with someone too.
Dawn - do you not use the kitten Milbemax?
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 22:00:08 PM »
Dawn, Polly's getting worse. She's virtually unable to move. When she tries, she loses balance and howls. She obviously in distress. Friends say I should wait 24 hours or so from the time I first noticed symptoms, as it says on the manufacturer's site that this reaction disappears within a day or so. It's so frightening to see her like this.

She's a medium size cat, and only had half a tablet.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 15:55:56 PM »
I've not experienced any problems but talking to the vet a few weeks ago, he didn't want me to worm my kittens with Milbemax as they had had a couple that had experienced the same symptoms you are describing.  I think it was down to the dosage being too strong for the weight so he's advised against me using it  :sneaky:  I have since used it on kittens though, but I won't use it if I think the kittens are too small and mostly I only give them half anyway unless they are whoppers.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 14:22:04 PM »
No reactions from mine with milbemax either

ems
xxx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 14:14:32 PM »
Mine have always been fine on it but every cat is different.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Milbemax. Anyone experienced any reactions?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 14:10:15 PM »
Wormed my cats with this yesterday afternoon, and Polly is walking like a drunk. I checked the possible reactions to the drug on the manufacturer's website and it does say that this can happen but goes away within a day or so.

It's frightening to see her like this. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Link to CatChat