Author Topic: Toileting.  (Read 2156 times)

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
  • oscar and tobey's mummy.
Re: Toileting.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »
How long have you had him?

We have had him for 6 months now and he is about 18 months old.

As for a new kitten.... Um, please concider this might add to his insecurities and may make the problem worse.

If things don't work out then I will have to give the kitten up.  I really don't want to and it won't be an easy thing to do but I know I need to think of Oscar.  I have discussed this with Liz, she understands and she is happy to rehome the kitten if things don't work out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 18:01:45 PM »
He could have a UTI so get a vet check just incase, its possible that it has coinsided with you going out.

Theres a product called feliway, cheapest place to buy is vetuk. Its a cat pheremone that helps make them feel secure  ;D
He is probably mega worried that the nicest person in his life has left him, i think a behaviourist would be really helpful in a case like this. You say he's very cuddly, thats probably insecurity, an expert would help you teach him to be more confident. Cant blame the poor poppet knowing what he's been through  :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 14:26:16 PM »
Poor little mite!  :(

He's very much a baby still. And given his background, there's all sorts of issues... I think it's a case for an animal behaviourist. We could guess til we're all adviced out, but methinks you need someone to come round and inspect his living circumstances.

As for a new kitten.... Um, please concider this might add to his insecurities and may make the problem worse.

Fingers crossed for you, and wee Oscar. And very well done for taking in a cat with such a tragic past.  :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 14:09:29 PM »
Aww thats so sad, poor Oscar  :(

How long have you had him? Maybe he's doing it to reassure himself this is his home now?

Smacked bums for his previous abusers! >:(

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 13:51:54 PM »
It may help to know more about Oscar's traumatic history, as this could have some bearing on his insecurity (this is probably causing the inappropriate toiletting).

His previous owners kept him locked in a cage in the garden no matter what the weather.  The only time he was allowed inside their house was to feed which wasn't on a daily basis.  There were days where he wasn't fed at all.  When they got a dog they kicked him out completely and left him to wander the streets for at least 2 months during christmas with all the bad weather that scotland was hit with at that time.  All the neighbours kept an eye on him and one of them was friends with Liz who rescues and rehomes cats.  He has got such a loving personality and cuddles into everyone despite having such a rough start in life.  He has been fine with his toileting until a week ago.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
I have some doubts about how he'll react to a companion. Wherever you get the new cat from, ensure that they'll take him back if Oscar doesn't take to him. As Oscar has been king of his castle, he may find an intruder even more stressing, especially a kitten.

It may help to know more about Oscar's traumatic history, as this could have some bearing on his insecurity (this is probably causing the inappropriate toiletting).
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:19:19 AM »
Stuff like that starts off as stress, but ends up a habit in my experience.

All I can think of suggesting is trying to make sure his opportunities to toilet in inappropriate places are limited. Shut doors, etc. It can be something really simple that's making him do it, but just like with children and bedwetting, if you feel stressed it can pass on to them. I'd seek advice from the rescue charities like Cats Protection.

Thanks!  I phoned Liz, who I got Oscar from, and she said that whenever my partner and I are not in the flat to keep him in the living room which has access to the kitchen where his food and box is.  Usually he has full run of the flat and the places he has been peeing is the laundry room and our bedroom.  We will just have to see how that goes.  Fingers crossed!

Also we are definately getting a little brother for him in 2 weeks time so hopefully some companionship will help him deal with me being out during the day and he won't be alone.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:02:52 AM »
Stuff like that starts off as stress, but ends up a habit in my experience.

All I can think of suggesting is trying to make sure his opportunities to toilet in inappropriate places are limited. Shut doors, etc. It can be something really simple that's making him do it, but just like with children and bedwetting, if you feel stressed it can pass on to them. I'd seek advice from the rescue charities like Cats Protection.

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
Toileting.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 21:31:05 PM »
My fiance and I got Oscar 6 months ago.  He was a 1 year old rescue who'd had a very bad start in life.  He took to his luxurious life rather well and always peed in his box.  I don't work due to illness so he is very used to me being in the house all day.  Recently I have been getting better and I am going to start job hunting in a month or so.  Since Oscar has been used to me being around I have started going out for a few hours to get him used to me being away.  He has started peeing on our clothes and blankets.  Anything that has our scents on it.  This evening he poo'd on my fiances work clothes.  When we are in the house he will do his business in his box.  How can we prevent him from doing this?  We are also getting a new kitten in 2 weeks so hopefully having a playmate will help with the loneliness when we are both out.

Link to CatChat