Author Topic: Bring me some sunshine....cystitis!!!!!  (Read 7143 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Bring me some sunshine....cystitis!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 21:28:18 PM »
So relieved  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 16:25:40 PM »
Ah C she's fine now.  Back to her normal ornery self.  :evillaugh:

Madam is sleeping now since she had so many hours to catch up on what with her nightly ritual of keeping me awake back to normal!

Lexy thanks everyone for all the best wishes. Even Caroline says we won't need to do anything unless she relapses in next couple days. She thinks she's over it for now.  :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Did you tell Gill how to make a risotto?

I see that you did!  Good recipe.

How is Lexy today?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »
Just as I was about to post a reply, the alarm went off - fire practice!

Anyway, as I was about to say, that all sounds much better for Lexy.

Did you tell Gill how to make a risotto?

Please will you tell me how to do a risotto, i have risotto rice  and remember having a wonderfuul one at an italien restaurent when i was working.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »
She's certainly slowing down the times she's going. Once last night as I had said and then again at some point in the early hours as I just cleaned it out. No blood.  She was chasing something around and was back to normal self at 5am waking me up and she wanted a cuddle on my bed which she hadn't wanted for a while. And slept in her bed for the first time all week last night.

If she still pees more than once today vet will do a urinalysis to check for chrystals.  I'm hoping it just needed a full 48 hours to get through her system.

Bless her.  She makes me go gaga.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 06:30:44 AM »
Glad to hear she was a bit perkier last night ruth, I think if it does go on for another few days i'd be inclined to have a more detailed urinalysis done.
Might be worth enquiring as to whether more antibiotics would be appropriate as it sounds like its been quite a bad bout of cystitis.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 23:40:25 PM »
Nah its ok Lexy is up and about and wants a fuss so I'm in between jobs right now.  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 23:14:09 PM »
I am so pleased that Lexy seems to be improving, hope it continues  :hug:

Please will you tell me how to do a risotto, i have risotto rice  and remember having a wonderfuul one at an italien restaurent when i was working.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 22:34:41 PM »
 :tired:

Well I have had a long day. Lexy is perkier tonight, she slept on my lap on the sofa for a couple hours earlier. I could see she really was knackered as she normally sits up for ages before she feels comfy enough to lay down. Tonight she just pooped out and slept. I think maybe she's not feeling as much pain.

She's gone less times today to the litter tray, and each time she has peed rather than some peeless tries like yesterday.

Just gone now so I have to clean it out in a bit. My nose is now immune!

But I got loads done, sorted my recycling out, put together my new cabinet for the office and went out and did my rounds to get rid of the recycling at the local bank, some shopping and then home. And cooked a risotto to last a few days so that was 45 mins well spent in the kitchen.

And now eyes drooping, Lexy moved into bedroom so that's my queue to say good night and speak to you on the morrow. Hopefully she will be feeling much better by then.

Night night all x

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 12:32:25 PM »
She's a little chirpier but still straining when peeing.  Caroline said to wait another 24 hours as there is no more pink in her litter. I've given her some more metacam in her food just so that if she is experiencing pain she will feel better.

I'm off to the recycle center. Will be on later!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »
is lexy any happier today ruth ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 22:00:33 PM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 21:59:55 PM »
We must sit down with a glass of whatever and you need to impart some of these stories. it can't be good for you to keep it all inside! :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 21:50:07 PM »
Christine that made me giggle :evillaugh:

Well, having had the rather dubious pleasure of meeting me  :evillaugh:, you doubtless think that such a sane and sober woman could not possibly have had such a misspent youth  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 21:32:47 PM »
Hugs to everyone and thank you. 

Christine that made me giggle :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 21:25:59 PM »
Ruth that antibiotic is a general broad spectrum penicillin, long acting, given to serve the purpose of "just incase be" as it wont do harm if it wasnt required so safer to be given than not really.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 21:21:13 PM »
Ruth, I cannot give you expert advice like your vet and T can, but just saying that I am sure everything will be well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Keep an eye on it, be your normal sensible self.  I once (as a student, I hasten to add) peed red because I had drunk too much Port.  There may be many reasons for the probbies our Lexy is having.

Take care, hun

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 20:45:13 PM »
Thanks NIck. I did some reading too and found the same as you. Teresa let me know the Clam La is short for something :doh: but its the anti-biotic. Spoke to the vet. She does not feel its bacterial. Lexy is an indoor cat so her access to water is only in her two bowls.

She's still drinking and eating. She's brightened up a bit this evening and was even tempted with her friend the string.

Vet wants me to call her tomorrow with an update. She's not worrying just yet. If Lexy still has a problem peeing tomorrow we will get urinalysis done to check for chrystals or stones.

I'm going bed early. Knackered. :tired:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 19:02:02 PM »
Ruth have checked out the contra indications for these drugs and cannot find anything significant. The first  is an anaesthesia the second is obviously the reversal. Vetergsesic is a long lasting analgesic (pain relief) Metacam is a non -steroidal anti inflamatory.  Can't find the clam la ?
Sometimes certain drugs can colour your urine like spinach can . Its possible it may be a little blood because the acidic conditions in the bladder and urethra are likely to set up an inflamation of the linings . It will take 24-48 hours for the drugs to start taking effect.

Lexy probably doesn't feel much like drinking I expect so you may need to do encourage her more than usual. I would recommend keeping a bowl just for her and make sure it is scruplously clean inside and out so there is not a trace of any smells. Run the tap for a couple of minutes so the water laying in the pipes has cleared and then use full pressure so that it is well oxygenated. It does seem to work on my two when they are not fussed with drinking.

It is possible that Lexy may have contracted a bacterial infection from drinking dirty water out in the garden or in a flower pot etc. There has been a lot of rain lately and lots of things are full of water going stagnant  .
hope the poor little mite is feeling better real soon

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »
Aww Ruth  :hug:

I'm not sure about the pink spots, hopefully Lynn will see this soon..

Stay calm though and give Lexy a big cuddle from me  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Now freaked. Lynn if you are reading this pls let me know what you think.

Lexy peed again today 3 times, once early hours of the morning, I suspect it was a good amount of the fluid she took in coming out, and twice about 20 mins ago.

I just went to clean it out and have saved the wood pellets. There are tiny bits, not many though, of pink in there. I am freaked.  Is this ok while the medication works and will it go? She didn't have any pink spots in litterf yesterday or that I could see the early hours this morning. Maybe I missed them!!!

Lexy had the following yesterday with the vet:

Domotir/Torbygesic and Antisedation as her sedative (so we could get fluids into her)
Subcuaneous Hartmans Fluid Therapy
3 x injections: Vetergesic, Metacam and Clam La? (going from handwritten bill).

Caroline said the antibiotic is a two day antibiotic and that should be enough to help clear out the infection and the Metacam was for pain relief. 

Caroline is in clinic today so I've left her a message on her mobile with the info of the pink spots I found.

I am really worried now. Lexy is under my bed, she only comes out to go to the loo or to venture around a bit but she will not come near me. Last night she did, so I know she sort of forgave me for Caroline's visit. 

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 08:17:53 AM »
only just seen this . Sorry to hear about your probs. Sounds like to you need to give yourself a treat when Lexys better Cars are a pain arn't they when they pack up. Just don't realise how dependant we are on them . Hope the antibiotics work quickly. There is always the possibility that UTI's can become long term chronic as they have with me. I had my first 5 years ago and have had them every month or two ever since.

Love the tent , I'll have to get one for my two . Another thing for them to fight over lol.  Hope you two have a good day  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 22:21:10 PM »
Poor Lexy, I hope that what ever Caroline has given her works well and quickly.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 18:47:31 PM »
Awww Ruth I hope she is feeling back to her old self soon, at least you have a good idea what is wrong with her now  :)

I don't know about Cats, but rescue remedy definitely worked for me  :ok: (for the interview) so hopefully...

Cheese, Gerti and Doc send big get well purrs (and give her a hug from me if you can!)  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 14:08:44 PM »
Well vet has been and gone.

Apart from the now familar "get the towel, find Lexy behind the TV, cover her and sit on sofa with Lexy on lap and pray she doesn;t claw you to death" routine, she was very quiet for Caroline. Until Caroline had to take her temp.... and then my legs became pin cushions.

Temp taken, antibiotic injection, pain killer, and fluids (she needs to flush it out so fluids under skin), plus a very very mild sedative so that Caroline could do all this, Lexy is now sleeping it off under the bed.

Caroline does think that the immediate change in food could affect her but she doesn't believe it would have done this in one day. Its not bacterial she feels but just has Lexy on wet food for now, and to give her a range of what she likes so not to stress her. Caroline thinks she is stressed  :( possibly the change in homelife recently could have taken its time on her.

I have the Feliway diffuser and spray going right now and some rescue remedy in her water.

Fingers crossed now.

My baby is not fond of me right now. She's groggy and wants to sleep  :(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »
 :evillaugh: Dawn she hides it well. She has a HUGE tummy she hides, but she's not obese at all just a little tubby. She's a small cat but looks huge due to her extra bulk. She's 4.75kg and should be 4kgs.  My worry is her getting to 5kg.

Now just have to get her in the room before vet gets here or I'll never get her out. Lexy used to like CAroline, but now hates her.  :tired:

Thanks for the well wishes. I need sleep!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:11 PM »
Oh no, Ruth!
I just caught up with this thread.

I hope Lexy is okay and the vet can help sort it ASAP.
She doesn't look obese from the "sulk" picture - its funny cause from that pic you would assume she was a black kitty  :) her and Cheese could probably compare notes on sulking..  ;)

Hope things look up soon! I second the calming bath suggestion  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
Ruth poor you and poor Lexy  :hug:

I hope Madams back to normal soon, and you have a nice relaxing bath tonight and de-stress  :hug: :hug:

xxx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
Well car is fixed, so have some freedom, but sad to say my baby is still not right.

I've had 2 hours sleep the whole night  :tired: because Madam was up all night going to the loo. The vet is due in an hour and Lexy has visited her tray 4 times in the last 45 minutes. She's only piddled twice in the 4 visits. Her poo's are soft again so I had another clean up job at 4am.

Poor thing. At last i have not seen any blood or pink in her tray, a bit hard with wood pellets but I'm leaving the tray as is right now until the vet gets here.

:tired: am hungry too but can't eat knowing she's not feeling like it. She will eat some ham but I don't want her eating anything new until I know its ok.

So worried. UTI in cats is not pleasant at the best of times. My sister's cat Spencer has been on special food after his very first UTI because neighbours were giving him food despite requests not to  >:( so the poor baby has to be specially fed all the time, being male it is a constant worry for my sister.

The tiredness is making me ramble. I need to get the back room sorted today and the house cleaned tomorrow so fingers crossed any anti-biotics Lexy is given are easy to administer or I'll have another sleepless night.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 22:50:55 PM »
 :hug:
Poor Lexy, and poor you.  You need a vet that can fix cars!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 21:02:16 PM »
You are both in the wars at the moment, arent you?  :hug:

Hope Lexy gets over this episode asap and that the sun comes out for the pair of you.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 19:24:00 PM »
Poor Lexy I hope the metcam works and you feel better soon  :hug: :hug:

Sending you lots of healing vibes and cuddles  :hug:

Love Auntie Ellie xxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 19:22:22 PM »
Aww, poor Lexy - I would definitely give her more wet than dry food, cystitis is more common in overweight cats, and dry food can cause issues. I personally wouldnt give as much as 9 drops of MEtacam to a cat her weight, Tom had it for his, he had 3 drops for the first 3 days, then down to 2, and he was twice her weight. Cystaid is a good thing to have as well, it helps the lining of the bladder, and is glucosamine based, so not as much side effects. Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 19:06:55 PM »
Poor Lexy, could this be linked to the new food?

Get well soon Lexy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 18:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the link Lottie. May consider keeping some of that if it happens again.

Lynn thanks, it relieves my mind a bit knowing that Metacam is meant to work. Will keep fingers crossed it does. She just came to lay next to me and gave me a pitiful look.  Breaks my heart. I know she's not feeling great.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 18:11:37 PM »
I can't offer any advice, but  :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 18:11:01 PM »
Yep the metacam will help a great deal probs.  Logan gets intermittent cystitis usually lasting no longer than a day or so (this is a greyhound thing and not really a urinary prob iykwim)

i give him rimadyl which is basically the same as metacam (nsaid)  and that works a treat.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Link to CatChat