Author Topic: Fur ball  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Fur ball
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 07:40:28 AM »
images of a stoned cat sitting happily humming bob dylan songs while debating the meaning of life ......... :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 07:16:29 AM »
I've never used pure liquid paraffin, only the stuff they mix into the furball treatments. It sounds very dangerous!

Noticed a huge typo I my last post, meant to say: allow your cat access to grass! (The legal stuff!)

Happy furballs. They're a regular occurrence round here!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 08:09:36 AM »
Actually, chemists wont sell Liquid Paraffin anymore, I wanted some for Molly's constipation and came back with Lactulose, cos he said they had to get people to swap over.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 23:46:12 PM »
Ah, I see - that's a tough one.  Sorry, can't add any more than has already been suggested....

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 23:23:13 PM »
Baggy... The problem is that he's excessively moulting, which is due, I think, to his heart condition. I brush him twice a day and still the fur comes out by the handful...  :-:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 23:10:53 PM »
Heh, the cat that went "woof"!  :evillaugh:

Does he enjoy being brushed?  Have been brushing Dinah twice a day since she's been moulting and it's really helped (she's long haired  :Crazy:).

Other than that we also administer the odd sardine in oil.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 23:01:15 PM »
Liquid parafin? Our Jumpy?  Old Mr Foul bowels? :sick:

The OH once let a candle for a romantic dinner, the Jumpster lived up to his name and jumped on the table... Their was a dramatic 'wooof' and a plume of flames lept between the candle and the Jumpster's posterior. Luckily the backdraft extinguished the flame before his fur caught light.

Imagine if he'd been on liquid parafin as well.....  :omg:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 22:45:19 PM »
Sorry to go off topic, but brings back bad memories - years ago my poor horse, Daisy, had litres and litres of liquid paraffin through a nose tube when she had colic.  She was so well behaved through everything.  Sadly it didn't work and she had surgery, but had to be PTS on the operating table.  :(  I still wonder to this day if she'd had the surgery straight away (we were advised to wait to see if the impaction cleared) whether she'd have lived.

On a lighter note, our family cat, Cheeky, used to love the stuff and would lap it off a spoon.....

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 21:46:35 PM »
what a horrible job to have to do.  :sick: trouble is with horses colic  really is a life threatening situation . They can die in a matter of days so its clearly worth the risk I suppose otherwise surgery is the only option

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 21:13:46 PM »
Very true Nick, Lactulose is much safer.
I hate liquid parafin after having to help administer litres of it to a huge horse with colic, nearly got stood on too  >:(

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 20:40:16 PM »
if he seems to be struggling to bring one up I give him some liquid paraffin as well.

I use Katalax myself (no on the cat  :doh:)  it worked a treat with lardass this week . Just wanted to suggest a bit of caution with the use of liquid parrafin . Its a traditional remedyy and is still in widespread use by vets but it can be quite dangerous to use as basically to are pouring a liquid into the throat of an animal who isn't ready to swallow . If any liquid parrafin goes into the lungs by accident it can be extremly harmful and there is quite a bit of research into the long term effects of this .Just wanted everyone to be aware of this potential problem.

http://tjp.dergisi.org/text.php3?id=310
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 20:43:25 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 19:23:18 PM »
I think most of them are cod liver oil & malt so any of them will do the job. Clapton loves Defurrum and will lick it from the tube or my finger and he is a fuss pot. Pets at Home sell it - Also you have an excellent pet shop in Hythe Julie? (Lamppost)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
I use katalax for Forest as he has a deformed pelvis and cannot go too long without passing something (sorry, too much detail).  :rofl: He does tend to get hairballs too and so this helps but if he seems to be struggling to bring one up I give him some liquid paraffin as well.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:55:28 AM »
I give Mosi 2 defurrum treats each day and that tends to keep him hairball free.  He's had a bit of a problem lately but that's because he's been moulting so I've been givning him some katalax.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Cheers, peeps.

Because he's molting so much, and cleaning so much, these are industrial sized fur balls.  :sick: I normally give them oily fish, as was suggested, but he's bought up two significant balls in the last week. I worry about the strain of vomiting as he's got a dodgy ticker now... Time for something more aggresive.

Juliex

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »
I prefer to use Defurrum and occasional tinned fish (tuna preferrably) IN OIL.

It's also a good idea to allow your cat access to cat if s/he is indoors.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »
We've got Kittymalt hairball paste which is runny and sticky and Sherleys Hairball paste with probiotics that is a very solid paste. I've never tried Katalax but I've heard it's supposed to be good.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:12:19 AM »
I use Katalax (through VetUK, there are links on here somewhere), or cheap treats from the pet shop.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Fur ball
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 00:50:09 AM »
Hiya

What's the best stuff for fur ball these days? I lost track. And where should I be getting it?  Is there a charity link? :scared:

Link to CatChat