Author Topic: Biscuits Swollen Face :(  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Biscuits Swollen Face :(
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 23:20:30 PM »
Hmmmm why cant they make human amoxicillan like that ..........then I wouldnt need the childs version in liquid form  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 20:34:52 PM »
thats real good news Cathy . Cunning trick with the antibiotic. The Vets can supply a soft palatable tablet form of antibiotic now its soft and squidgy and is easy to mix with anything. Peanut had a septic ear recently (fighting ) he was given Clavaseptin which is Amoxycillin The tabs are minute . Have you tried sneaking up on biscuit when hes asleep hee hee he ;) :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 13:54:02 PM »

just a quick thought, Gemma the cat from next door comes in to visit Biscuit and occasionally eats her food, will it do Gemma any harm if she gobbles abit of the food with the antibiotic in.

Glad biscuit is on the mend.  :wow:

Gemma won't come to any harm, unless she has an antibiotic alergy, but Biscuit won't be getting the full dose. I'd try to keep an eye...

It's lovely when things turn out well.  :cheer:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 13:38:49 PM »
Oh, I missed this thread before - but glad to come in when it is moving towards a happy ending!  Good luck with bathing Biscuit's face: I don't envy you that job, I know what Blip would be like.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 13:33:38 PM »
Glad she is on the mend :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 13:25:50 PM »
Hi everyone

just a little update on Biscuit, she seems to be doing ok, shes eating well and still wanting to play (when she feels like it) i have noticed she's sleeping in abit longer in the mornings and having an extra nap in the evening but mostly she seems fine. I've managed to get some of her tablets into her but only by opening up the capsule and sprinkling the powder over her food and then mixing it in and of course she's only eating the most expensive cat food ha ha. I've tried bathing her face which is no mean feat where Biscuits concerned cos she can be a scratchy little madam but the swelling seems to be going down at least. She must have scratched at it last night cos there was quite alot of blood on her face this morning so I've been trying to clear that away again no mean feat.

just a quick thought, Gemma the cat from next door comes in to visit Biscuit and occasionally eats her food, will it do Gemma any harm if she gobbles abit of the food with the antibiotic in.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:30 AM »
Am glad to hear that - I have only dealt with an abscess once, and it resulted in the cat having to be anaesthetised and a drain put in!!
In regards to the insurance - it is down to the vet how they allow payments, not the insurance company. Practically every insurance company will allow payments direct from the vet, but it is at the vets discretion.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 23:36:29 PM »
Thats good and a relief  ;D

Interesting about M&S, you are the second poster who said that.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »
What a relief!

:yayyy:

Big kiss for Biscuit.  :Luv:

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts guys.  :hug:

It was a bite and yeah it was full  :sick: No need for lancing though, apparently not big enough even though to me it looked like the size of melon on the side of her face lol. She's had a painkiller injection as-well as an antibiotic injection (both of which didn't go down well, she screamed the place down) and now she's on a weeks course of antibiotic tablets. The vet said if she lets me try and bath the area.

Biscuit has M&S insurance so I brought my details with me and when I mentioned this to the vets they said no problem leave the forms with us and we'll take care of it, so I didn't have to pay.

She's at home now as if nothings happened which is good.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 00:06:28 AM »
How is Biscuit?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 20:57:34 PM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 18:33:41 PM »
Poor little Biscuit  :-:  Fingers crossed for her at the vets, let us know how she got on  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 13:19:33 PM »
Kylie had something similar a few years ago - we assume she got bitten in a fight. She was hiding under the bed feeling sorry for herself. I carted her off to the vet who took her temperature and said she was on the mend so didn't need to do anything...........£30 please  :tired:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 13:20:06 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »
Don't worry, they won't ask you to stay. And if it does come to it, they'll do it under sedation at least, or if it's more complex, a general. It all depends on how bad the build up of toxins are. If you caught it early, you may well get away with just tablets.

If they lance, they'll make a fresh incision as the original wound is sealed with muck. Then they'll rince out the area of the abcess, but they won't stitch. The idea is to let the area drain as it heals.

But I'm not expert. Without seeing it could be something completely different... but I've had to deal with a lot of boils, etc.  :sick:

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
If it is an abcess and they do lance it, do they lance it through the original puncture or do they make a new hole to allow the puss to drain
 :sick:

They won't expect me to hold Biscuit will they, she's a highly strung diva so won't take kindly to being man handled and poked ha ha

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »
Cathy,

If it is an absess caused by a fight, which is really common, don't be suprised if the vet wants to lance it.  ;) Best of luck and fingers crossed.

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
Biscuits Swollen Face :(
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
I noticed Sunday that Biscuit had what looked like a little scratch just by her mouth. By yesterday her little cheek looked slightly swollen, this morning the whole side of her face is like a balloon. She's off to the Vets as soon as I get home from work. I reckon she's had an altercation with another cat and might have got an infection (not that I would know but I'm kinda hoping thats all it is) hopefully some antibiotics will clear it up. Either that she's gone and got herself stung cos she does have a passion for chasing bee's and things.

Link to CatChat