Author Topic: 'Old Cat' Blood tests  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: 'Old Cat' Blood tests
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 20:47:47 PM »
Sorry didnt know that Ollie was a NFC, thought he was a moggie  :-[

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 19:09:45 PM »
Lottie, cats dont tend to lose weight with age, they are like humans where they tend to put it on, so weight loss in age can be indicative of a health issue. I didn't realise they had a short lifespan though, so I have learnt something new - I thought Ollie was an NFC, but didn't want to say earlier in case I was wrong!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 16:56:43 PM »
Unfortunately for an NFC 9 isn't middle aged as 10-12 is a usual age for them although some do go on a bit longer so fingers crossed he'll be one of those.

Lol no he def wasn't wearing divers boots although the thought has made me giggle, it's not a particularly unusual weight for a neuter male NFC. A 3kg adult neuter NFC would be seriously underweight as my entire girl is 3.5kg and is very thin and she's only just turned 1 and Alex on here has a female neuter NFC that's nearly 6kg at just over 1 year old.

Lol Ollie wouldn't know the meaning of the word angry, he spends his life lying on his back with all his legs in the air chilling out lol  :rofl: The worst he'd go is squash you to death by cuddling you  :rofl: :rofl:

Ollie lives with mum so I'll get her to have a look at his gums, thanks.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 16:01:46 PM »
Yes I did mean 9kg (he's an NFC). He was almost 11kg when he was younger and not an ounce of fat on him, just a very big boy (he makes Bilbo look like a midget!).

:omg:

I've never come across this breed before so I did a bit of research. The Royal Canin website lists the usual weight graph of Norwegians as between 3-9kgs, so I wouldn't worry much. Are you sure yours wasn't wearing divers boots?  :evillaugh:

Also, at 9 he's just middle aged.

If he's eating normally, maybe have the vet listen to his heart? It could be he's not metabolising properly. Liver function and kidneys also are prime suspects.... but he would be showing other signs - sickness, lethargy... Check the inside of his mouth - are his gums nice and pink or are they pale looking? Smell his breath - is it normal? Teeth okay?

Good luck. I hope he doesn't get angry too often....  :Crazy:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 13:10:17 PM »
Yes I did mean 9kg (he's an NFC). He was almost 11kg when he was younger and not an ounce of fat on him, just a very big boy (he makes Bilbo look like a midget!).

He could just be losing weight with getting old but it's prob best to get him checked out. Poor little boy hates the vets.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 22:56:07 PM »
Did you mean down to 9kg?? Maybe it was a typo  ;D

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 13:39:30 PM »
Ok thanks I'll pass that info onto Mum. He's very nearly 9 now bless his heart and he's such a cuddlebum  :Luv: He's Mum's little Prince  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 13:17:35 PM »
My vets do a thing they call a geriatric blood panel which covers most things including thyroid.  They sent it away (they do normal kidney/liver function blood tests etc in house) and it cost me £50.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 13:13:45 PM »
Not sure if they are classed as specific blood tests here Lottie, but I always do a full blood test including thyroid for my oldies - the one I have costs about £80 cos I have it sent away as they check a few more things than the in house test does. Fingers crossed it is nothing.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
'Old Cat' Blood tests
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 13:05:48 PM »
Mum said Ollie is starting to look a bit thin (think he's down to about 9kg now bless him) and so I said I thought a blood panel might be a good idea as he's getting old now but are there specific blood tests for old cats or do they just have a normal blood panel done? He's absolutely fine in every other way and eating and drinking as usual but it's always best to get these things checked I think.

Link to CatChat