Author Topic: Feliway  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Feliway
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 17:12:32 PM »
With regards to the feliway, the only thing that concerns me is that it may affect the others, who are perfectly happy. I don't want all my cats to be like zombies because I feel the feliway is necessary for one of them.

I don't think it will affect the others - unless they are ultra sensitive it's just a pheromone that helps them feel more secure and relaxed about their environement - it isn't going to drug them.  I started using it when I got Mosi and it certainly hasn't zombified him!  Or if it has I dread to think what he'd be like without it!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:02:44 AM »
Lesley, we already do that :) but thank you for thinking of options for me. (I should really have mentioned it.)

It's not all the time she's verbal, but the sounds she makes sometimes are terrifying - she does it when she's asleep sometimes too. Like she's having really bad night terrors.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
have you thought of trying some Rescue Remedy for the older one, put in just behind her ears.  I found it worked for one of mine when she was stressed.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:18:36 AM »
I had a siamese who wanted to be an only cat and who used to express his need in unsavoury ways (peed on my face when I lay down...)

Eeeeew! And I thought it was bad when I came back from voluntary work at an animal rescue and my oldest tom didn't like the "smells" so peed on my knee! (My friend, however, thought it was hysterical :rofl:)

As far as I can tell, my cats are pretty content in general. But The Old Girls senility makes her a bit confused and disorientated, so she has little outbursts of crying. Sometimes she sounds so sad it's just horrible.

With regards to the feliway, the only thing that concerns me is that it may affect the others, who are perfectly happy. I don't want all my cats to be like zombies because I feel the feliway is necessary for one of them.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »
I use both spray and plug in and they're great.  I've always used the spray at the cattery to help them settle in (the staff tell me it helps).  I have a plug in in my living room but I think it probably reaches a bit further and it does help Jaffa cope with Mosi.  When things get a bit tetchy I often notice that it's ran out.  I would have thought that 2 would be enough for a terraced house - one on each floor.  If the plug sockests are low down then I wouldn't have thought the windows would make much difference as the pheromones are still going to circulate in the room.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 23:26:43 PM »
I have tried it a few times but can't say I noticed any effect. I was using plug-in and spray.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 23:26:02 PM »
I had a siamese who wanted to be an only cat and who used to express his need in unsavoury ways (peed on my face when I lay down, peed on my clothes, peed on my bed - spent a fortune in cat psychology). But the feliway did wonders

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 23:24:06 PM »
Now I would have thought it would be less effective with windows open,may be worth getting manufacturers thoughts.
I dont use them here as generally have happy cats so new arrivals sense the good pheremones,did buy a tiny spray today though for special use.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 23:21:13 PM »
I wonder if the plugsins have much effect in the summer if you have the windows open.

I used it in my house in Brisbane and the windows were always open. It was excellent. If the plugs are on the landing then two should be enough

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 23:19:41 PM »
I wonder if the plugsins have much effect in the summer if you have the windows open.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 23:10:09 PM »
2 should be more than enough; wonder if a spray might help?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Feliway
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 22:45:38 PM »
How many plug ins wolud be necessary in a "bog standard" sized terrace for these to be effective? My Old Girls senility seems to be worsening a little and I figured this might help.

Link to CatChat