Author Topic: Travel sickness  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Travel sickness
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:56 AM »
I agree with doing some practice runs - yes, it might not change much, but at least you know in advance.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:48:49 AM »
Must have been a burmese (or closely related at least!!) :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 23:54:23 PM »
Yes you are right about the bad traveller but isnt it wiser to know and also for him to get used to the car?

Hmmmm.  Not sure about that.  If he does turn out to be a bad traveller knowing in advance won't alter the situation.  I'm already taking all the precautions I can to cope with that eventuality should it arise.  He's as good as gold on his trips to and from the vets but as I said they're not exactly long distance.

Many years ago I had a cat who loved cars.  On more than one occasion I looked in my rear view mirror on my way to work and a little furry head popped into view. Groan.....late again but what an excuse. 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 23:44:05 PM »
I had to drive from Grafton to Brisbane (five hours) in a car with a very unhappy siamese. trust me, you need to know what to expect before you set off.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 23:39:27 PM »
Yes you are right about the bad traveller but isnt it wiser to know and also for him to get used to the car? The only cat I have moved by car over very long distances was Kocka and she loved it and used to go for walks in a harness when we stopped at MOTOs. She would also use tray and have a drink and some food  ;D

She was 19yrs old and quite frail but just loved to be in the car, mind you she would be in an open box on my lap the whole time and if in a carrier she prob wouldnt have liked it at all.

My current 4 shout and sing all the way to the vets and back which is 50 miles and it drives me up the wall cos they never stop. I would hate to spend hours in  acr with them!!

Yes I didnt know why to France and why in a car

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 23:32:23 PM »
Gill
Not quite sure where you are coming from with your first question.  If you mean why does he have to go to France its because I'm going for several months and I can't leave him behind.  If you mean why travel by car its because I think its the least stressful mode of transport for him.  Air travel may be quick but airports are noisy and there's lots of hanging around plus you have to get to and from the airport.  Trains ditto.
Re your second question I thought about that but in the end decided that if he doesn't react well to it the practice runs would only add to his stress.  A bad traveller is a bad traveller and seldom improves with practice.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 23:21:41 PM »
I have no answers but two questions!

Why are you taking him to France by car ?

and

Why havent you been driving him around in car for a long time  to find out how he copes?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 22:25:19 PM »
Hi!

I don't know if you've transported cats over long distances by car before, but if you have forgive me.  ;) From my experience, they react in different ways and no two are the same. A cat you thought might breeze through panics, a cat you expect to play up worries you because they're too quiet. Whatever happens, I find that the motion of the vehicle and some reassuring words from yours trully does the trick. Around 20 miles in, they settle down for a nap.

Hope you figure it out and enjoy your trip.  8)

• Royal Cat
Travel sickness
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 20:02:39 PM »
I am shortly going to take my cat Korky to France by car.  He has never travelled more than 10 miles by car before so I don't know whether he is travel sick or not.  Just in case he is, does anybody know of anything I can give him to prevent/alleviate symptoms.  I asked my vet today but what he prescribed was a sedative rather than an anti-nauseant and i dont want want to give Korky sedatives because (a) he already so laid-back that he's almost horizontal and (b) I've heard that sedatives in cats can have the opposite effect to that desired.  I woudn't give him the medication whether or not but would wait to see if was travel sick before giving it.

Link to CatChat