Author Topic: HELP WITH NEWBORNS  (Read 1801 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: HELP WITH NEWBORNS
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »
Mum seems more settled this morning.  She now has all the babies in the tunnel thing (will have to take a photo so you see what I mean) and although every time I go in the room, one seems to have got out and been abandoned, when OH goes in the room they are all back together, lol :)

I think she is a little unsure of what she is doing but then so am I, so I think we are both learning from each other - and she's doing better than I am!  I am trying to leave her to it more and not interfere.  OH says I just want one to hand rear 'cos that's what I'm used to doing :rofl:

:thanks: to everyone for their help last night.  Will try and get some piccies on later but my computer always says they're too big.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 23:27:14 PM »
Lesley, sorry to hear you're having problems  :hug:  She does sound inexperienced and probably isn't sure what she should be doing.  Re the tunnel toy, I would take that out for the time being and just leave the box, litter tray and food in at the moment.........hopefully then she will decide to opt for the box.  It could be a number of things as to why she's reacting how she is, she's had a long journey, just lost her owners and is in a strange place, all these things will take time for her to adjust to  :'(  I would also part cover the cage with a blanket and try and keep her quiet until she gets properly acquainted with the kittens.  If she is still panting tomorrow, it might be worth getting her checked over just in case she has an infection........Katie got a very high temperature after a few days when she gave birth and was right as rain in no time.  You've got my number if you need to chat.......if not, I'll bell you tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 21:40:10 PM »
Lesley if its a safe place for them let her move them; if you move them there she will find somewhere else.
How did kitten get out of high sided box, Is it by any chance the same kitten that she put in water bowl?

Might be an idea to come into cats basket if you want to talk direct

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 21:34:57 PM »
She has now settled in the tunne with just one kitten and left others in box.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 21:34:00 PM »
Thanks Teresa, she is fine with all the things on your list, everything okay there. Have turned fan off and am just trying her with a damp towel.  She seems to want to move them to a tunnel thing i have but it is very open and they can just crawl off.  A couple of times before I put themin the high sided box, one had got out through the bars in the crate and was on its own.

she is now trying to move them to the tunnel, should I let her do it?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 21:28:19 PM »
Hi Lesley
Firstly  how is the mum
Has she been eating and drinking ok
Has she used toilet both ends since babies born
Are all babies feeding well and are mums teats ok,
Is mum cleaning all the babies
Does she have any smelly discharge at back end

Lots of cats dont like the noise of a fan,try cool damp towel to cool her and allow her short break from kittens to cool off and calm down, sounds like she is an inexperienced mum and is a little overcome with everything, run through my checklist and I will stay on line

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 21:17:57 PM »
Teresa is on and I will PM her immediately to come and look at this.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 21:17:36 PM »
Gosh Lesley am useless at this but PM or email Teresa of Paws Inn. She has heaps of experience with kittens and new mums so may be able to offer guidance.

From my perspective I would want the mum checked by the vet asap just in case.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
HELP WITH NEWBORNS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 21:15:55 PM »
My latest rescue,  a very young mum with a four day old litter of six is acting what I thik is strangely.  I've never had a mum with young kittens, only orpans, so any advice greatly received.

She is panting a great deal, so I have put a fan on, but pointing away from babies who are in a high sided box. 

Just caught her dipping one of the kittens in her water bowl, it was protesting loudly, so I have put kitten back in box and let her out of the crate.  She is now pacing, panting and miaowing quite a bit.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE.

Link to CatChat