Author Topic: ear mites / ear wax  (Read 2266 times)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
Re: ear mites / ear wax
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 18:33:16 PM »
went to the vet's this a.m. and he cleaned out Jessie's ear :sick: absolutely loads of gunk flew out, which felt strangely satisfying tho' gross! 

Apparently, it's not ear mites but is an infection.  We've got to clean out her ears x2 a day and Jessie got given an antibiotic injection plus a/b tablets for the next 7 days.  We've got to take her back in 3-4 days so they can check her eardrum is ok - if it is, we'll also be given a/b drops so that we "can attack the infection from both inside and out" according to the doc!  (Think Doc thought we had brought him a towel to check over as she had buried herself underneath it and we had to tip her out onto the counter - poor thing :evillaugh:)

She certainly seems better in herself today but can understand why if she's had a poorly ear for past few days  :(.

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 16:54:22 PM »
I'm taking my cat Jessie to the vet's tomorrow 'cos she seems to have a lot of wax in one ear.  She's regularly treated with spot-on treatment that's supposed to clear them out but I just want to check that there's nothing else going on like an infection left over from a virus she had a couple of months ago although she was given antibiotics to clear that up...if it's not one thing, it's another - I'm just a paranoid meowmy  :tired:

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 23:02:21 PM »
Hi Crazycatz
My kitten had ear mites & horrible horrible wax in ears when I got her. Since been treated & using drops, the wax that is coming away is like tar & totally grose. I have to admit now that I am slightly obsessed with checking & cleaning of her ears since then. One of those satisfying moments... when loads comes away. How sad am I?

I hope that your girls probs gets better. The vets will be able to give you drops if needed. Good luck.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 14:31:38 PM »
very strange. Perhaps its just wax but from your descrip it sounds like ear mites.

roll on booster time and we'll find out  :evillaugh:

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 14:30:34 PM »
hi lynn my girls are house cats only and do not go outside at all
ive not visted anyone who is infested with any parasites or any thing like that
only one friend has cats and they are all treated with strong hold / frontline etc

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 16:23:04 PM »
It doesnt itch, you just feel a faint tickly sensation when the gits leg it  :evillaugh:

It does sound very like ear mites, they can only catch it from other animals infected ie cats OR dogs..do any of your animals go outside ?

theoretically you could have taken it into them altho this would be less likely than taking fleas in on your clothes (where have you been visiting)

also most people dont think about it but they can actually pick them up at the vets..not due to bad practice or hygeine but it is possible.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 13:26:27 PM »
anyone having tea yet ??

heres a lovely zoomed up earmite  ;D

:rofl:

i put some of the gunk on the back of my hand and it didnt itch my skin
when i touch it with my fingers it all disolves and brakes in pieces
does anyone know how they catch earmites in the first place ?
i know how they can catch fleas and worms.
can house cats get ear mites then ?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 18:18:23 PM »
anyone having tea yet ??

heres a lovely zoomed up earmite  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 17:51:51 PM »
sounds like earmites crazycatz but thurs would be fine for a check and appropriate treatment.  as far as i thought stronghold kills earmites (i havent used or dispensed that treatments myself )
however your vet might give you canaural or such like (drops) which really zaps them.  It doesnt normally smell and some cats will itch but others even if really badly affected dont seem to notice.

Yes cody is a shorthaired laperm  :Luv:  (i'm an avid laperm lover .. they are just the business LOL)

Lilycat...whilst i havent actually put earmites on my face i have had bits of gunk ping off of a cotton bud or had a cat shake its head after applying drops so thats why i know what it feels like when they scoot over your cheek or nose LOL  :evillaugh:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 17:43:33 PM »
Ugh, ear wax/mites on your face  :sick:

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 17:04:11 PM »
hi lynn it looks like the brown coffee powder stuff ,
it doesnt smell though , i read somewhere that ear mite gunk smells
would they be scratching there ears a lot if they had mites ?
how would an indoor cat catch ear mites ?do they just appear ?
does strong hold kill them and prevent them ?
they are booked in for there jabs on thursday so i will mention this while im there
your cat is cute lynn is he/she a la perm ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 17:04:52 PM by crazycatz »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 16:38:03 PM »
wax looks like wax LOL

earmite discharge gunk looks think and clumpy and can feel abit like coffee powder/granules.  Even with the most horrendous amount of mites you'd likely not see them (of course wipe abit of the stuff on your face or arm and you might feel a tickling sensation of the crawling over your nose  :evillaugh: )

I suggest a trup to the vets to have it checked properly and possilby correct ear drops to cure the problem.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
ear mites / ear wax
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 16:32:10 PM »
does anyone know how you tell the difference between a lot of wax in the ear or ear mites ?
is it normal to have a lot of wax ?
how long does a cat have to have ear mites for before you see them moving around  :sick:?
i have 2 females who have a lot of brown wax and i was wondering if it was wax or ear mites
they have both been treated with stronghold and drontal .
 :thanks:

Link to CatChat