Author Topic: Basil follows me everywhere - is this usual?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Basil follows me everywhere - is this usual?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:04:02 AM »
My dear cat Biggles used to follow me everywhere. I used to take him for regular walks which he loved. If I went to the local shop he used to wait for me to come out in a safe place. Many was the time I had to creep out the house to stop him following me. :hug:

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 20:19:27 PM »
mango is like this , she sits with me every night its like her time when the kids are in bed
throught the day she follows the kids about and always comes to the bathroom with me  :tired:
moomin follows me everywere when i go in the garden she loves me to go outside with her but doesnt bother much when we are in

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »
Sasa stalks birds very well but her idea of hiding is in the middle of the wall flowers when they were growing and she is not a small cat or even close to green  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:36:09 AM »
Yep, first time I let Sofie out in our new home in New Zealand, I set off for work and got to the corner before i noticed I had a little grey shadow. Had to turn around, take her home, lock her inside and try again...

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »
His eyesight's fine but he really isn't very bright bless him, so perhaps he just feels safer when he's with me?

Basils idea of stalking a bird for example, is to bound down the middle of the garden at it. Bearing in mind he's basically Orange, it does look really  :rofl:

I love him to bits though  :Luv:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
My cat ^pooh^ was like that - he would even follow me to neighbours houses and sit outside till i came out.
He went missing 4yrs ago and people said maybe he had gone off and found a new home but i knew 100% that he hadnt because of how he was with me

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:11:25 AM »
One thing occurred to me: is his eyesight okay? He might be following your scent for safety.

Is this his normal behaviour?

Then he loves you lots.  :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 22:07:19 PM »
He loves you and its normal for him  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 21:58:08 PM »
Lexy albeit not a very affectionate one except on her terms does follow me everywhere

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 21:38:13 PM »
Ahhh he loves his mummy  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  Zephyr is exactly the same.  He follows me everywhere kneads me, gets jealous of anyone else sitting on my lap (even though he isn't really a lap cat! LOL).

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 21:23:26 PM »
Some cats enjoy our company more than others.

Lirael our burmese has to be with you when you do anything.

This morning I was on the exercise bike when she decided that she wanted to be held so for a mile I held a sleeping cat in my arms.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Basil follows me everywhere - is this usual?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 20:46:29 PM »
I've had Basil since he was a kitten and he's now 9. I got him about the same time I got my other 4 so he's grow up with other cats but none of the others are anywhere near as dependant on me as he is. Is his behaviour unusual [for a cat]?

He follows me to the loo, the shower and everywhere else - he insists on sitting next to me on the sofa, he has to be on the same cushion, pressed right up against me. He kneads me quite a lot although I do move him gently away when he starts. If I get up from the sofa he either watches me to see if I'm going to leave the room [in which case he comes with], if I'm standing and not leaving the room he'll have to rub up against my legs, watching me and meowing until I sit down again .... If I come up to the bedroom he'll stand outside complaining until I let him in, once he's in he's fine - he'll jump on the bed and nod off quite happily.

I've never really thought much about it before; I suppose I got used to it and didn't think that his behaviour was maybe a teensy bit unusual for a cat. For a dog it'd be par for the course.

Now I don't mean to be unkind because I love him dearly but I have to be honest...he's never been the sharpest knife in the drawer, if you get my meaning. Could that have any bearing?   

Link to CatChat