Author Topic: Suzie and her fluids - interesting behavior  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Suzie and her fluids - interesting behavior
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »
Yes and Iget the blame for that. He came in from the street and would have eaten anything at one time. Now he has meals "on approval"  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 23:42:13 PM »
he's picky probably like those kids that pick all the black specs out of their sandwichs before they eat them lol. I used to do that when I was a kid. Now I eat so fast I've bitten my fingers more than once  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 22:58:32 PM »
Fortekor are meant to be palatable but if he gets a sniff, he rejects the food  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 22:30:46 PM »
talking of tablets and hiding them. The last time I went to the vets with Peanut he needed some antibiotics and expecting the usual huge tablets I was amazed when I got a tiny sachet of ampicillin tabs that were not only minute but soft as well !
It was a job to pick them up without them crumbling . I wonder why they don't make other meds a bit more palatable for cats

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 20:21:50 PM »
At the moment he is drinking enough and I mix water in his food. I read an article the other day that slated dry k/d food and said that it was ridiculous that cats were having subs and dry food when they could get the moisture from food.

He is due back in August so will play it by ear. He is so much better now on Fortekor and senior food - almost back to himself - he has alway been a bit sickly and nervous.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 19:08:30 PM »
Clapton doesn't like beef and I would imagine raw could be quite hard on gums  :evillaugh:
Last week I found out the easiest way is wrap it in a piece of Prosciutto as its sticky so you can seal the tablet in completely.

Anyway, I'm glad Suzie is coping so well with her subs - I may need to start myself at some point. The vet suggested recently that if clapton got any worse, he wanted to keep him in for 24hrs to hydrate him. I hate the idea of him being at the vets for something I could do at home - not to mention the cost. Also, one 24hr session will only last so long before he needed another?

Oh, yes I'd forgotten Clapton doesnt have many (any?) teeth  :evillaugh:

Yes, it would probably be better if you could start fluids at home at some point, before it comes to the point where he is really dehdrated and then would need IV fluids, espeically as Clapton doesnt like going to the vets does he?  Suzie, was very dehydrated and was on the drip for 3 full days.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 18:30:47 PM »
Thats great Gillian, so much easier when they dont fight their treatments. Maybe shes like some weird humans who enjoy needles sticking in them, cough dawn cough  :evillaugh:

Glad the beef cubes are working  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 15:13:37 PM »
Clapton doesn't like beef and I would imagine raw could be quite hard on gums  :evillaugh:
Last week I found out the easiest way is wrap it in a piece of Prosciutto as its sticky so you can seal the tablet in completely. Also where its thin, he will take it in one bite whereas he licks larger things and the tablet sometimes comes out. The thing is, I can't really go out every other day for a pack as it says use within 2 days.

Anyway, I'm glad Suzie is coping so well with her subs - I may need to start myself at some point. The vet suggested recently that if clapton got any worse, he wanted to keep him in for 24hrs to hydrate him. I hate the idea of him being at the vets for something I could do at home - not to mention the cost. Also, one 24hr session will only last so long before he needed another?

Hopefully thats a way off anyway.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 15:15:58 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 13:55:25 PM »
Thats amazing Gillian  ;D

She doesn't by chance get a treat after treatment does she?  :evillaugh:

Maybe she realised she feels better after it. I wish I had it that easy getting a Fortekor down Clapton's neck.

Funnily enough, she's not very treat oriented, she doesnt hang around the kitchen the way the others do :evillaugh: - but I did offer her a treat after one session - and she wasnt interested!

Have you tried Milly's Mum's method of putting the fortekor in a cube of raw beef? thats what I've been doing with Suz and Jasp, then I just put it on their plates with their other food - the beef cube's always eaten first!  :evillaugh:.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:07 PM »
Thats amazing Gillian  ;D

She doesn't by chance get a treat after treatment does she?  :evillaugh:

Maybe she realised she feels better after it. I wish I had it that easy getting a Fortekor down Clapton's neck.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Suzie and her fluids - interesting behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
Tuesday was the first day Suzie had her fluids (at the vets, where they showed me how to do it) and it was between about 11 am/11.30 am. On Wednesday I did them on my own first time in the morning about 11.30. This morning she was outside slleeping in the sun, and I thought I was going to have to bring her in. At around 11.30 I went upstairs to get all her stuff ready (I do it up in my little grooming room on the grooming table) - looked round, there she was at the door to the room,  she jumped up onto the table and immediately lay down, as if she was waiting for me to get on with it - how cool is that?!!  ;D

Link to CatChat