Author Topic: introducing kitten to existing dog - kitty says No Dog wants to be pals  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
When Harvey arrived at mine he was the same with my dog but mine is a very excitable dog (Lab x Collie). After a few weeks he got used to him and now walks up to him and gives him head rubs. The poor dog is being dominated by 4 cats  :rofl:

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
thankyou both for your replies, it is much appreciated :)

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
From the sound of it, I'm sure kitty will come to the conclusion that your dog's ok - he's not chasing or anything.

The fact that kitty's ignoring him could be a good sign...at least she's not being defensive any more so she doesn't think she's going to be attacked or anything.

Good luck with them  :hug:

ccmacey

Maybe with the fact that they have never seen a cat/ dog before they are thinking what are you and being wary? Kittens would be a bit afraid of a larger animal and maybe with time they will know they arnt going to hurt each other.

Has the kitten been around dogs before and not liked them?

Your dog seems very nice and well controlled with the fact he has never lived with a cat before.  :)

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
introducing kitten to existing dog - kitty says No Dog wants to be pals
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
Hi,  Im hoping someone can help with advice on this. 

My dog is as laid back and accepts all comers into his house, he has shared his space for years with foster dogs and doesnt bat an eyelid, come one come all is his motto. 

So when we bought kitty home he was his usual self, sort of 'oh a newbie lets have a look' but not full on at all, he looked from afar.

Ive used a large pen for introductions, and at first kitty hissed and spat at him from afar -  he didnt approach at all.  She now ignores him, and he desparately wants to be friends , he'd love to sniff her but is sooooo restrained.  She will approach him for a look but then hiss and spit and back off. 

Are the signs good so far or will she never accept him? its funny he hasnt had experience of cats before, but knowing him as I do, I never assumed he would be a problem and want to chase, as he is so good with all out other animals - rats and birds. And fortunately I was right on that score.  She has never seen a dog before, and Im hoping as each day passes she will accept him without reacting to him.  is this possibly/likely?   What do you think and advise? all suggestions are most welcome :)

Link to CatChat