Author Topic: Can I just ask  (Read 4975 times)

ccmacey

Re: Can I just ask
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 17:12:31 PM »
Mmm, lovely  :sick:

Why on earth would someone want a picture of someone else's relation?? Strange beggers!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 15:39:12 PM »

I think that would be ok if it was going to be kept sacred in a cabnet or something but not getting took showing around, eww. 

They wanted t to sell it
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 14:41:03 PM »
I think that would be ok if it was going to be kept sacred in a cabnet or something but not getting took showing around, eww.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 14:36:21 PM »
Ashes into glass"

A couple of weeks ago on one of the Antique/flog It type programmes someone took in a picture of a relation and it was made out of the relations ashes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 14:36:51 PM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 13:24:08 PM »
The reason I had Renie cremated was I couldnt bear to have her near but not being able to see her or hold her. So now she is here with me in a nice little casket with a beautiful photo of her on it.

At first I used to cuddle and lie with her casket near me looking at her photo, but as the years have gone by and the pain subsided I cannot bring myself to do that anymore, it brings it all back. But I'm just happy she is here with me not somewhere else on her own.  :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
I would consider something like this for my cats. I don't like this subject but its something we have to deal with at some point. I have seen sites where you can send the ashes to be turned into a gem but it costs around £4000.00 - out of most people's budget - but I saw this site "Ashes into glass" they will turn the ashes into a vase for around £260 and a necklace or paperweight for £195.00. They only use part of the ashes and lead crystal glass.

http://www.ashesintoglass.co.uk/

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37:58 AM »
I don't think we should be focusing too much on how SP said goodbye to Gizmo. As said, it's a personal choice.

RIP, Gizmo. Your family loved you very much. :RIP:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »
Desley i suppose the same goes for our preferences for our own funerals..for me personally no way can i entertain being cremated and if hubby goes before me he wont be either.

However i have my boys still with me, they now stay in my wardrobe and somehow i feel comfort knowing they are near me.  It is my intentions they these 3 will be buried with myself.  However if i was in a property where i'd invisage myself being there long term i probably would bury them, having said that i can also see myself opting for cremation then burying them (a greyhound especiallly would require a great deal of manual labour i'd think to bury)

I dont think it matters too much but more important that what ever we chose we're happy with our decisions and hopefully it will in time give us peace of mind.

I loved liz's idea though..she is planting a seasonal memory garden where by she will use plants to represent the season she has lost a loved one and will have flowers all through the year.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 08:51:09 AM »
You just have to put your trust in these places -

I agree, I know the pet crematoriums round here (there  are about 3 within a 50 mile radius) are above board and do both private and communal. I know one person who actually takes her cat and places it wherever they have to place it. then waits to take the ashes home with her.

Round her you pay £23.50 for a communal cremation and individual cremation £88.29
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:57:44 AM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
RIP little one - the crematorium near me gives you the option of private or communal, you just pay more for private. I personally can't get my head round cremation, but I know my neighbours had their dog cremated privately.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 23:35:09 PM »
 :hug: Helen

RIP Gizmo......play hard at the bridge  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 23:28:34 PM »
Helen, Gizmo is at rest now - you were loving and thoughtful to the very end  :hug:

I have had all my cats individually cremated, you get a condolence card stating what day it happened and an individual cremation number...  You just have to put your trust in these places - I would be mortified if I thought Tiggy wasn't still 'with me'.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 23:22:08 PM »
swampmaxmum..dont worry, what happens is they can put several through together for "communual" where the owners would have specified they do not want the ashes returned and the machine thingy would be cleaned etc afterwards (inbetween each usage) or they can put through individually where the ashes collected are indeed from that particular loved one and their ashes returned home.

Its not a nice topic but it is one that many peeps worry about and are scared to ask.

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 22:37:04 PM »
Helen you done what you felt was right  :)

I had my cat cremated on her own at the Pet crematorium, I was asked if I wanted her on her own or with others but I wanted her ashes back.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 21:37:39 PM »
So pleased he is now happy on the Bridge  :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 21:35:00 PM »
Thankyou all for you

There is such a thing as individual cremation and I know that for a fact. When our last dog was cremated we were given the choice to actually take him ourselves and put him into the furnace, apparently some people deal with the death easier that way. I didn't want to do that, we did pay extra for him to be cremated alone as we did with our horse that died too.

Gizmo was different as he hated going in the car and hated the vets he was petrified. I promised him when they said he was ill last month f he had to be pts I would call the vet to the house. Unfortunately his life was taken away from me and when I found him this morning I promised he wouldn't have to go to the vet anymore. I cant bare to see people or animals buried and thats my own feelings, some people can deal with it..........

We have just scattered his ashes in the fav spot in the garden and all said a tearful farewell and thanked him for bringing so much happiness into our lives albeit too short a time

My poor darling little Gummy bear gone but never forgotten

xxxxxxxxx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 21:19:30 PM »
When Magpie died I was asked (by the vet) whether I wanted communal cremation or individual cremation.  The latter cost a bit more.  It didn't matter to me but I'm confident that if I'd wanted individual cremation that's what would have happened.  I have a leaflet from the crematorium and they talk about individual cremation in that.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 21:16:26 PM »
No swampy there are individual ones, so I am sure that you were told the truth. Its just that all do not fall into this category.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 21:12:14 PM »
I'm finding this really difficult to read. My vet's nurse told me that in London there are individual crematoria and you would definitely get your cat's ashes back. Are you saying that that's not true?!  It's an unbearable image anyhow, I'm sorry.
I'm so sorry about Gizmo.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 21:03:25 PM »
Do you remember philip Lynn.? ...cant remember his cats name at min but he had to go to a special crematorium that would only do his cat cos others wise he would have got mixed ashes  :'(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 19:35:14 PM »
i understand ela but i would still have faith that any crems when specified individual thats what we'd get and not the ashes of others.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 18:51:11 PM »

I printed all the good wishes from my thread MY BEAUTIFUL BOY HAS GONE and put them in the furnace for Giz to read hubby went and bought this morning. It is still smouldering but an accelerate was used to make my little man break down quicker.

:'( :'( :'( i found that quiet difficult to read

sorry Michelle I can think straight....

My husband went and got a furnace bin to cremate Giz this morning. I printed all the R.I.P messages and put them in with Giz..........the man in the DIY shop recommended something to make his body break down quicker in the furnace

hope thats clearer

xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 18:48:05 PM »
This may seem like a very strange question SP and certainly not intended to cause offence but why would you do a diy cremation when you could have used a private one ?
I can totally vouch they are individual and its your pets ashes you get back.

(unless the animal is left with the vet for "general disposal" and they get cremated properly but on mass and this is normally through the services of argicultural colleges etc they can also do individual ones but there are quite a few smaller purely private crems on the go)

because Gizmo HATED the car and got very distressed going to the vetx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 18:32:03 PM »

I printed all the good wishes from my thread MY BEAUTIFUL BOY HAS GONE and put them in the furnace for Giz to read hubby went and bought this morning. It is still smouldering but an accelerate was used to make my little man break down quicker.

:'( :'( :'( i found that quiet difficult to read

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 18:12:26 PM »
unless the animal is left with the vet for "general disposal" and they get cremated properly but on mass and this is normally through the services of argicultural colleges etc they can also do individual ones but there are quite a few smaller purely private crems on the go

While that may be the case in Scotland Lynn, It is not just individual cremations that are carried out at pet crematoriums. Communal cremations are also carried out at pet crematoriums. I don't know a vet who uses any other method for  cremation.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 17:43:26 PM »
This may seem like a very strange question SP and certainly not intended to cause offence but why would you do a diy cremation when you could have used a private one ?
I can totally vouch they are individual and its your pets ashes you get back.

(unless the animal is left with the vet for "general disposal" and they get cremated properly but on mass and this is normally through the services of argicultural colleges etc they can also do individual ones but there are quite a few smaller purely private crems on the go)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 17:44:19 PM by lynn »

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 16:34:34 PM »
Thankyou all. He had only been missing since 4pm yesterday and it wasn't unusual for him not to keep me up worrying  as they all know I never go to bed until they are all accounted for, I never went to bed but as the night went on and he never came home I suspected something had happened..................I'm just glad I was able to find him rather than never know where my beautiful boy was.

I printed all the good wishes from my thread MY BEAUTIFUL BOY HAS GONE and put them in the furnace for Giz to read hubby went and bought this morning. It is still smouldering but an accelerate was used to make my little man break down quicker. My daughters are both here with me and we will wait for my son in-law to arrive and his ashes will be scattered later tonight he was so special to everyone as he was such a kind boy, he loved Daisy and Elle and groomed them every day

I was lucky to have been honoured with such a beautiful cat a wonderful friend and got the best head kisses off him. I shall miss him always as he and I had a special bond and m so glad he and Louis had once again become friends before he went to Rainbow bridge

thankyou all once again

Love Helen and Louis

xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 16:20:38 PM »
i believe part of the cremating process crushes it.

I think they have grinding machines at the crems.

I dont want to sound funny but cremating him yourself probably isnt a good idea

I agree, I personally think this could cause you more heartbreak

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 16:17:50 PM »
Do RTA cats usually die quite quickly.

I am sorry you have lost a little one.

I don’t really like to answer this as it is not cut and dried, some do die immediately others can linger for days. I remember I once had a phone call from someone who said a cat had been lying in their garden for 3 days, I went and it was still alive and after vet treatment for a broken pelvis it recovered, but to think it lying there for 3 days is heartbreaking.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 16:12:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about Gizmo   :hug:  :hug:

I dont want to sound funny but cremating him yourself probably isnt a good idea, bone needs a very high temperature to destroy it and i believe part of the cremating process crushes it.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 13:54:30 PM »
sorry to hear about poor Gizmo  :( :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 13:47:24 PM »
From reading your other post SP it sounds as if gizmo perhaps hadnt been killed outright as he made it to your neighbours garden.  He may very well have had internal bleeding / injuries.
When initial accidents happen the "fright / flight" reaction often enables them to move away quickly from the scene and as their bodies are pumped full of adrenaline they dont feel pain in the same way.  With internal bleeding combined with shock setting in the most probable likely hood was that he had fell asleep then unconcious so no hadnt been in too much pain.

When these situations occur its most likely than even had he been found earlier the vet would have been able to save him  :(

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
Can I just ask
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 13:25:44 PM »
after losing my beautiful boy to RTA this morning. I have found a further tail injury further up by his back just a small one but no blood just the skin ripped back as I was grooming him for when he  meets up with his brothers later. He was always grooming and was always immaculate

What I want to ask is Do RTA cats usually die quite quickly. I think im finding it harder to accept because he looks just asleep. I wish he had been able to make it home then maybe I could have saved him...............

I have never lost a cat to TRA before and im finding it so very hard to let my husband take him, we are going to cremate him ourselves and put his ashes in his favorite spot in the garden . I dont want to let him go though

Im glad him and Louis had become friends again before he lost his last brother  :'( :'( :'(

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Link to CatChat