Author Topic: Suzie's CRF is worse and Jasper now diagnosed with CRF  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Suzie's CRF is worse and Jasper now diagnosed with CRF
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 19:18:08 PM »
I see...did they help his hind legs at all ? catch 22 sometimes.

To be honest, I am not sure as he lost the use of them temporarily and by that I mean anything from seconds to a minute or two.  It never happened again but he did lose alot of muscle tone in his hind quarters.  Hard to say if that was due to the spondilosis, which wasnt in the vets notes neither was the over active thyriod he never had, CRF or old age.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
Am glad that you managed to do the sub-q fluids with no probs Gillian.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
I see...did they help his hind legs at all ? catch 22 sometimes.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 21:15:05 PM »
Prednisolone Lyn.  The day he was diagnosed, he had lost the use of his hind legs.  Vet said he had spondilosis and put him on pred'.  That part is fair enough but according to the other vet he shouldnt have been on them long term and should have been weaned off them but due to his age and the length of time he had been on them, we felt it would have not been of great benefit to wean him off at that late stage as his old frail body would be dependant on them.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 20:24:50 PM »
was it anabolic steroids he was on elaine ?

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 20:18:51 PM »
I am pleased to hear it all went well.  Suzie is such a sweetheart.
Yes Winston was on fortekor as well.  Thats all vets do up here for CRF, diet and fortekor :-: And some dont take very kindly to having questions and info set out in front of them either.  The vet I have now is very good, but we hadnt had her for very long before having Winston pts, think I could have really worked with her for Winstons benefit as she questioned alot of things about the meds the previous vets had given, doses, why was he on steriods etc etc.  She was also very quick off the mark about his blood pressure too.
Anyway i digress again, any chance to talk about the old boy ;)
Like I said, I am very pleased it all went well and I am sure it'll get easier as time goes on.
Told you you could do it ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 19:52:54 PM »
I'm sure it would make you feel better as you will be sure it doesn't hurt her. I did it when I was about 12 or 13 - I remember running the pin under a gas flame to kills the germs first (must have seen a florence nightingale film or something  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 19:10:21 PM »
Something to think about - maybe they don't feel it? - I know if you stick a pin in the bit between your thumb & finger it doesn't hurt (we did it as kids)

Sitting here, looking at that bit of skin on my hand and thinking hmmm, shall I try that LOL!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 19:05:14 PM »
Something to think about - maybe they don't feel it? - I know if you stick a pin in the bit between your thumb & finger it doesn't hurt (we did it as kids)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 19:02:15 PM »
Wow thats great and what a good cat  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 18:51:52 PM »
How old is she?  Is she ok about you handling her? 

I have the faith that you can do it because from what I have read in your posts, you would go the extra mile for her, for her sake and not for the sake of simply keeping her with you.
I let my old boy go because i couldnt get through to the vets up here about the importance of fluids, they were all fortekor and diet orientated. 

Aww, thanks Elaine   :) yes, whatever treatment she has, all I want is for her to feel better in herself, I know she's not going to get better, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. She's 14, and yes she's pretty laid back mostly LOL! Did you put Winston on fortekor at all? Shame the vets wouldnt consider the fluids.

So, today the vet showed me how to do the fluids, then he got me to do them and it all went perfectly fine, she was a star and just laid on the table purring, bless her  :Luv:  The vet was so nice, this is a new vet to the practice (small - just one lady vet, who owns the practice - and lives above it) - and its always been her I've seen, so I've been able to build up a good relationship over the past nearly 10 yrs - and I was a bit worried I wouldnt like the new one, but he was great.

He gave me all the gear to take home, and I need to do 2 syrnge fulls twice a day, one on each side (vet shaved the two places to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing - what with all her long fur! This afternoon I've done it all on my own! - wasnt quite as slick as this morning, the first injection I did went straight through and out the other side, suddenly realised everything was getting rather damp LOL! but the other side was perfect - and Suzie was so good too, just lay on my grooming table purring - except for a couple of times when she wanted to wash herself, which meant everything started jiggling around and I thought the needle was gonna come out! It took me about 20 mins in all, but I know it'll probably be much less than that once I get into the swing of it!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 07:57:03 AM »
Fingers crossed for you all.
Please spay your cat

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 21:08:32 PM »
Aww bless her, she's lovely xxx.  How old is she?  Is she ok about you handling her?  She may respond better to you giving her fluids than the vet, I hope so anyway.  I have the faith that you can do it because from what I have read in your posts, you would go the extra mile for her, for her sake and not for the sake of simply keeping her with you.
I let my old boy go because i couldnt get through to the vets up here about the importance of fluids, they were all fortekor and diet orientated.  Despite my best efforts and Winstons age, he was failing.
Anyway thats totally off track lol.
I sincerely wish you and Suzie all the very best :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 20:59:20 PM »
I have some Trovet RD (would need to check the list as its made in Canada) and also Hill's k/d chunks in gravy - neither of which clapton will eat. You are welcome to try some (well the cats are  ;D )

Thanks Mark, she is actually eating the k/d (she has NO taste  ;) ) because thats what they'd been feeding her at the vets, but I think I'm inclined to go for a low phos regular food like you're doing - or go back to her usual raw + binders maybe - such a lot to think about :Crazy:

Did they take bloods today to check her levels at all?

From what i know and have heard, every one is apprehensive about giving fluids at home, but I have every faith that you can do it xxx

No, they didnt take bloods again, suppose we should have done really, but I didnt think of it with everything else  :Crazy: Thanks for your confidence in me doing fluids - I'll tell you how I got on and if I have fingers left, because apparently she put up quite a struggle when they took bloods from her before, so much so that they had to sedate her, and I can see at least 3 little needle marks, where they must have tried! She doesnt do well with manhandling, although generally she's a very placid girly  :Luv:

Here she is right now....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 20:18:31 PM »
I know what you mean about the pinched look.  Winston looked 10 years younger after he had fluids.  Did they take bloods today to check her levels at all?
From what i know and have heard, every one is apprehensive about giving fluids at home, but I have every faith that you can do it xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 20:16:34 PM »
I have some Trovet RD (would need to check the list as its made in Canada) and also Hill's k/d chunks in gravy - neither of which clapton will eat. You are welcome to try some (well the cats are  ;D )
Whiskas did one but its discontinued. Shame because he would have been more likely to eat that.

I am giving him Whiskas senior as its lower phosphorus than regular and also Tesco own Fish varieties in Jelly which seems to be agreeing with him as he seems a lot better.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 20:18:23 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 20:10:51 PM »
If your not keen on the k/d, what about trying the royal canin renal food.  Winston would eat that before he would touch the k/d.

Oops, we done it again!  ;D - yes she's given me some royal canin pouches too, but havent opened them yet  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 20:09:31 PM »
Glad you are feeling a little better.  How is Suzie doing?  Winston did ok on Fortekor with a creatinine of 377.  The fluids should help bring the creatine levels down.  Am pleased to hear that your vet is prepared to even discuss giving fluids at home, something I couldnt get a vet to do up here.  Regular fluids should help her too.
All the very best to you and Suzie xxx
Hi Elaine, we must have been posting at the same time! Suzie's creatinine was 498 this time, I thought the vet had said 490, but the copy of the blood test says 498, but heres' hoping the fluids have done their bit! - She certainly looks more 'rounded' in her face - thats the only way I can describe it! - she looked pinched before - and funnily enough her eyes look bluer that when she went in, they looked pale then.

Yes, its great my vet is pretty open to most things, although I'm sure she dreads me coming in with my print-out from the internet LOL! - although I must admit to being a bit apprehensive about doing the fluids.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 20:05:58 PM »
If your not keen on the k/d, what about trying the royal canin renal food.  Winston would eat that before he would touch the k/d.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 20:03:01 PM »
I believe the IV fluids can really bring the numbers down so hopefully they will have sorted her out. 

Thanks Helen, I'll be happier about her starting Fortekor if the creatinin's come down a bit.

It is supposed to be more effective for advanced CRF and I hope that is the case.

Thanks Mark, its been a bit of rollercoaster, I hope it is more effective for advanced cases too  ;D

Thank you as well, Lilycat, Desley, and Susanne,

so, to my latest news! ......

I picked her up this morning, god my head is spinning! Not only from the worry about the cats, but the discussion of the different meds she may or may not having, pros and cons, alll that. Sometimes I wish I didnt do all this research into illnesses and everything, and just left it up to the vet to decide!! Then there was the need to work out the insurance claim for Jasper and his meds - thought my headache had gone, but...!

She looked so much better and she was so pleased to see me, alll purry and headbutting the carrier! So the regime is going to be fortekor, fluids at home and maybe the kidney diet, although thats one I really may not be going for - that k/d is gross, looks like bits of rubber! :sick: - especially after Suzie's been fed 'real' food for the past 2 yrs! Anyway, I've got to go back tomorrow to be shown how to do the fluids  :scared:

The bill - oh boy if I say it quickly, £450 quid doesnt sound much ha! Some of that is Jasper's insurance claim, but it doesnt knock much of a hole in it. Luckily, my vet lets me pay bit by bit if I need to - which I certainly do in this case.

Anyway its all worth it to see her at home where she belongs - sitting on my lap as I type this  :Luv:

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 19:56:24 PM »
Glad you are feeling a little better.  How is Suzie doing?  Winston did ok on Fortekor with a creatinine of 377.  The fluids should help bring the creatine levels down.  Am pleased to hear that your vet is prepared to even discuss giving fluids at home, something I couldnt get a vet to do up here.  Regular fluids should help her too.
All the very best to you and Suzie xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 20:27:30 PM »
Glad to hear you've perked up a bit  :hug:  Hope Suzie can come home tomorrow, I believe the IV fluids can really bring the numbers down so hopefully they will have sorted her out.  The boys send you all a healing head kiss  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 18:40:45 PM »
Sorry to hear the news Gillian. I hope you are getting over your virus and the cats get sorted. I'm amazed at the difference in Clapton since he started taking his fortekor regularly so am confident that it will help them both. It is supposed to be more effective for advanced CRF and I hope that is the case.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 17:55:16 PM »
Hi Gillian, I hope all goes well...fingers crossed for both of them  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 17:49:03 PM »
Sorryt to hear about Suzie and Jasper, Gillain.  I hope you can get them both stabilised - fingers crossed Suzie will be home soon.

Glad you're feeling better  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 17:46:38 PM »
Fingers crossed for her, and that you can find a treatment that works for you - I would imagine that her levels would come down on a drip, but I suppose it depends why they were so high, as sub-q fluids just deals with dehydration doesnt it?

Glad you are feeling slightly better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 17:38:35 PM »
Thanks everyone, what a week!

Well, Suzie is still at the vets on the drip, but vet phoned today and said she's looking much better so I'm picking her up tomorrow and we're going to discuss me giving her fluids at home and maybe putting on fortekor. I have reservations about fortekor, althoug I know Helen's Tiggy did very well on it, if you look at the felinecrf site, it mentions it might not be advisable in a cat with already very high creatinine levels, and on the felinecrf Yahoo group they seem to throw their hands up in horror if you mention fortekor and high creatinine levels in the same breath! - my vet doesnt seem to think its a problem - so don't know what to do.

Elaine, or does anyone else know - do you think the numbers will come down appreciably after having the iv fluids? I mean, is it possible they could come down even lower than they were orginally?

Me? - well I'm just recovering from this horrible viral infection which left me with a banging headache since Thurs and has only just this morning gone, and I'm starting to feel more human again! although feel weak and wishy washy  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 00:37:24 AM »
so sorry to hear about their problems and yours.

lets hope the vets can sort them out abd get them both stable.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
Hoping Suzie is feeling better soon  :Luv: and  :hug: to Jasper & yourself :)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »
gillian im so sorry , what wi your 2 and mango it seems its a bad time for persians at the mo

chin up and fingers crossed for them all

xx

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
So sorry to hear this Gillian.  Hopefully the fluids will help bring Suzies numbers back down a bit xxx  Sorry to hear about Jasper too xxx
All the very best to you all and hope you feel better very soon xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 20:52:29 PM »
so sorry things aren't going well at the moment Gillian, and hope that they can both be stabilised and have some good quality time with you. Have you seen the 'CRF bible'? Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 18:24:59 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Suzie's CRF is worse and Jasper now diagnosed with CRF
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 17:29:38 PM »
As some of you know, my Suzie, 14, was diagnosed with renal failure due to PKD back in November. She'd been doing absolutely fine, eating well etc, until yesterday, when she was sick straight after her breakfast and then again after her dinner, and she had diarrhea too. I managed to get slotted in with the vet this morning and he kept her in to bloods again and put her on iv fluids because she was dehydrated. Anyway bloods show her creatinine has risen to 490 (from 359 in Nov) - normal range is 80-180, and urea is 40 something, (from 17) normal range is 4-12. Poor baby, just popped in to see her, she looks very forlorn - she's got to stay in overnight.

Jasper, who came to live with me in April, started to have similar symptoms, drinking and weeing a lot (and he actually comes from the same mum and dad as Suzie, so its likely he has PKD too)  Anyway, his bloods show creatine similar to Suzie's when she was first diagnosed at 349 and urea at 17.

I'm struggling to do even the most simple things at the moment anyway, because what I thought was a bad several day migraine has turned out to be a viral infection - why does everything horrible come at once?!!  :(

Link to CatChat