Author Topic: Why is she sticking her tongue out?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Why is she sticking her tongue out?
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 08:04:53 AM »
Am glad she is better now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 21:31:13 PM »
She's fine now. She threw up an ENORMOUS furball  :sick: a few nights ago, and has been eating well since. Bought some Tiger pouches from Asda at the weekend - no way has she lost her appetite. I've noticed that she sticks her tongue out when she's purring, while being stroked. She's always been a 'happy dribbler'! The tongue thing is recent. She's moulting, which is contributing to her hassles, but she loves being brushed.

I did make a nice new bed for her, putting some of my old clothes and catnip in, but Polly nicked it (she usually sleeps on the chair by my desk). Will dig out a cardboard box for her.

So far, it seems to be nothing but minor niggles. I think she'll live (touch wood!).
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 21:39:10 PM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 17:53:15 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She's okay, but acting as though she's maybe hot. Keeping close eye on her. And threatening with the thermometer up bum!  :rofl: :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 17:46:49 PM »
I've already threatened that she'll have a thermometer stuck up her bum is she doesn't get her act together!!  :evillaugh:

Thanks for all feedback.
Who, Samantha or the vet?  :-:
Hope Samantha is OK.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 17:42:42 PM »
She isn't panting, just sticking her tongue out. She's doing it a little less now. I think I'll do her for furball, as neither cat is eating much.

I think the heat is  bothering her, as she's been sleeping in odd places - such as by the door, where there's a draught - and not using her cat bed. I gave her bed a check (it's one of those foam ones) and it's rather hairy, so needs the lining changed, but I think she's avoiding warmth.

If she isn't looking 100% by the beginning of next week, she's seeing Mrs Vet! I've already threatened that she'll have a thermometer stuck up her bum is she doesn't get her act together!!  :evillaugh:

Thanks for all feedback.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 12:30:47 PM »
Jaffa pokes his tongue out when you fuss him.  It just sort of slips out and he sits there with his sticky out tongue looking really cute. 

As to panting - Jaffa panted when he was a kitten after lots of running around and Mosi does the same now.  I asked the vet about it when Jaffa was little as I'd never seen a cat pant before and was told it's normal if they've been exerting themselves.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 20:06:33 PM »
My friends cat has what s called Tippy tongue -
He looks so cute too

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 13:42:05 PM »
sometimes after my cats have been washing they poke there tongues out for a few seconds it looks cute  :Luv:

bridie who is always pulling funny faces sometimes has her tongue out slightly for a few mins  :Crazy: :Crazy:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 13:35:25 PM »
Maybe she's just forgetting to pull it back in? I have a cat that does this all the time and its funny to see, then again he does have a bad mouth. Im not saying Samantha has a bad mouth maybe she is just hot?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
I have had loads that stick their tongue out. don't they look cute? 
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »
Our Burmese cat Lirael sticks her tongue out quite a bit, normally she’ll eat or drink or clean herself and she’ll forget to put it back in her mouth (she’s be great with licking stamps).

She’s also taken to running at you stopping and sticking her tongue out – probably my fault as I do that to her quite a lot.

Cats will pant if warm, our air conditioning broke in our 3rd floor apartment when I lived in Maryland and it was August so it was really hot even with the windows open (they all had screens in them) and the ceiling fans on.

If you’re worried you can always call the vets and see what they think.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
Gizzy did it last summer and thats the 1st time i have seen a cat pant maybe cause he is our 1st semi long haired lad. It did shock me too so we went out and got 4 big fans to cool the house down and it worked.  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »
as a normal rule of thumb, general advise is that a cat SHOULD NOT pant and they generally do not use their tongue as a source of heat loss like a dog does.

I would think you are quite right, Although I have had a few cats in my time  I cannot recall seeing one pant.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »
as a normal rule of thumb, general advise is that a cat SHOULD NOT pant and they generally do not use their tongue as a source of heat loss like a dog does.

I'd be inclined to have her checked out if she hasnt been seen by the vet lately.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
Could be the heat, I Was shocked the first time I saw a cat pant, and fortunately the vet had warned me she had done it in the surgery!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 18:26:25 PM »
When I brush her tonight I'll Frontline her too. She has a flea allergy. I've felt for welts, but they may not have come up yet. So both cats are being done!
I'll see if this helps.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 18:12:34 PM »
Haven't noticed whether it's after grooming. Noticed it when she walked into the room when I was on the PC; then later, when I got home from shopping, she was sitting at the top of the stairs with her tongue out. She seems happy, and will play if I entice her, but I've noticed that she's sleeping in the corridor upstairs, which is a cool part of the house. Neither of my cats have been very hungry during the hot weather - they always get like that in the heat.
Sam's sitting by me now, purring, with her tongue in. I've noticed she's been seeking more affection than normal. She doesn't usually want to sit on me when it's hot, as my lap makes her too warm.
Will keep a close eye on her.
Can't imagine what could be wrong, unless it's just the heat.
She sometimes gets hayfever, but hasn't been sneezing.
Her fur looks a but dull, as though she needs to give it a good wash! I'll brush her tonight, she likes that and it's usually therapeutic.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 18:14:05 PM by Hippykitty »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 17:47:03 PM »
Is she sticking her tongue out after licking herself?  Or is she sticking her tongue out and licking her mouth (which can mean nausea)?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 17:41:01 PM »
Oooo hun get a pic  :evillaugh:  I love pics with sticky out tongues  ;D  :hug:

I've not know a cat to keep his her tonugue out so is she showing any other signs ie not eating, drinking, being quiet etc? Could she have a bit on her tongue? If it contiues a little trip to vet to rule out any physical stuff may be best.  I have known them to stick their toungue out if hot but not for long periods though.

Hopefully the  wonderful brainy peeps can shed some more light hun  :Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Why is she sticking her tongue out?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 17:23:43 PM »
For the last couple of days, I've noticed Samantha sitting with her tongue stuck out  :P like that without the waggling. There have been a couple of flies in the house which she's been trying to catch; I think she may have caught one. Is she waiting for another to land on her tongue?

Do cats cool themselves this way, like dogs? Or could this be a sign of something serious? Is she just playing silly butter (yes, I know this has been filtered to butters, but you get my gist  ;) )

Any ideas, she looks very silly.  :shy: 

Link to CatChat