Author Topic: Suki not well - Diarrhoea  (Read 10142 times)

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
Re: Suki not well - Diarrhoea
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 13:37:31 PM »
So sorry R I P  Suki :'(
Caroline xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »
Oh no, so sorry  :'( :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2007, 22:47:01 PM »
So sorry  :hug:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2007, 15:01:08 PM »
Little Suki is at Rainbow Bridge now - have got another thread going on this subject.

Sweet dreams my little lady  :RIP:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »
Sorry to hear Suki is poorly  :'(  It's such a difficult time when we, as their carers, have to make a decision that is agony for us but ultimately the best thing for our little ones.  I truly hope that this is not Suki's time but you know her best and hopefully you will know inside whether it is time to let her go.

I just wanted to mention something about the steroids she had - do you know if it was an anabolic-steroid or a cortico-steroid?  When Tiggy had was poorly (started off as chronic diaorrhea) she was given an anabolic steroid which did nothing to help her really, we tried other things and then the vet gave her an injectable corticosteroid.  Looking back now at her symptoms the corticosteroid should not really have helped her but the change in her was amazing and her appetite went through the roof.  Just thought it was worth mentioning  :hug:

Whatever decision you come to we are all here for you and your OH  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:53:26 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007, 06:51:53 AM »
It looks like we've got to make that decision now.

She had a good sleep, and had a pee in the make shift litter tray we'd put in the bathroom for her, but she's just not eating anything - she hasnt eaten a proper meal since Friday breakfast time.

We were awake at 6 this morning and opened a tin of the tescos finest chicken - she had some licks of the sauce, but then got off the bed and is now currently underneth it again.  :(

We feel that now is probably the time for her to go whilst she's got some dignity about her, it's the hardest decision my husband and I have had to do ever, we dont want to see her suffering (as she's just not the same cat she was only last week), as she's more unsteady when she's walking about now, and the last thing we'd want to find out is if she got out that she couldnt get out of the way of a path of a car for example, as we'd be ridden with guilt so much.

So I think it's time for Suki to go to Rainbow Bridge and be with the other cats but be doing the things she loved the most whilst she was better ... eating lots of food (moving from one dish to another), sitting in her outside house having a snooze whilst keeping an eye out on the garden, sleeping on her faviourite bit of fleece, and having cuddles with her mummy and daddy up there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2007, 23:42:28 PM »
I do hope that a good nights sleep will help her and that maybe tomorrow she will be a bit better.

My thoughts are with you all tonight, give her a gentle stroke from me when you can  :hug: :hug:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2007, 23:21:26 PM »
Hi Gill,

Thanks for your kind words.

Have just spoken to the vet on the phone and she's not sure that it is constipation, but has recommended that when a pet shop is open to giver her a liquid parafin based de-hairball remedy - as she said that wouldnt casue her any other issues (which olive oil or lactelous would - as in upset stomach and if she has developed diabeties).

The vet did say that if she's like this for 48 hours in total then the kind thing to do woudl be to say goodbye to her as it would like look shes not going to get better - but we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anyway, she's still curled up in her comfy bed, hopefully a good nights sleep will help her - now my husband and I have got to try to wind down and get to bed to sleep - I dont think I've ever cried so much in an evening (first time I've seen my husband cry like that too).

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2007, 23:04:47 PM »
Its hard for a none vet to advise but you know Suki the best and if you feel she is not in pain and does not seem distressed I would just let her sleep and eat if she wants and leave her plenty of water.

Its very hard to know what is best but you can only go by your best instincts and watch over her    :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2007, 22:58:46 PM »
If anyone's out there I'd really appreciate your help ...

Eversince we've got Suki back from the vets shes been under the bed.

We put some turkey (her favourite) in a dish under the bed with her, but she only had a couple of bits. We've just put some seniior food under the bed and she's not touched it - but she's drinking an awful lot, almost excessivly.

We have eventually got her out from under the bed and we've put her very first bed in the bathroom, which she's curled up in. We've put a litter tray, some food and water in the bathroom with her, so that she doenst have to go downstairs.

We dont know whether or not it's coz she's just shutting down or whether or not she's actually constipated at this minute in time - as we've read that the steriod injection she's had causing cats to be put off their food, very lethargic and sometimes sick.

When we got her from under the bed she had actually done some small hard poos under the bed - which is why we think she might be constipated. The vet earlier said that her intestines felt quite full.

We just dont know what to do - if she is shutting down we would prefer it if she went peacefully at home - but on the other hand we dont want her to suffer  :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007, 17:21:12 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed it was just the richer food not agreeing with her, and that she is fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2007, 17:18:04 PM »
Well we called the emergency vet to be on the safe side.

Unfortunately the vets on call is not our one, but up the road, so they dont have access to Suki's records etc so they're a bit limited as to what they can do anyway.

But we explained that it looks like she might be deteriorating and that we were concerned.

We've been told to keep her indoors, keep her wam, and for her tea give her a teaspoon of cooked tukey, if she keeps that down to give her some more an hour or so later.

The vet on call said that it doesnt sound very serious at this stage as she's clearly not in pain nor is she being violently sick - if she is violently sick then we can get her in to have an injection to stop the sickness, but she said to keep a close eye on her, and if things get worse to call back.

We do have an appointment on Monday for another of our cats for his annual booster, and she recommended that if Suki's still not herself to swop cats and take Suki in instead.

Poor little girl - I know its not nice being sick   :(

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2007, 16:34:47 PM »
We're a bit concerned about her now.

Yesterday she got into a bag of food which I chucked out (as it was virtually at its best before date) - and I found a pile of beef which she'd clearly had a nibble on.

From lunchtime today we noticed she was rather quiet and was sleeping a lot, then whilst we were downstairs with her she got up and was sick.

We really dont know what to do as we could call the emergecny vet as it could be something going on with her current situation - or it could just be that whatever she ate from the bag of food hasnt agreed with her and she's been sick coz of that.

She certainly wasnt herself before she was sick, and even now she is wandering around the house, though she doesnt 'look' right - kind of has a glazed look to her if that makes sense.

What would you guys do - we dont want to make any rash decisions, but we dont want her to be suffering :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 16:35:37 PM by scattycat »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2007, 16:11:47 PM »
gobble gobble :)  (sorry!) good news. i/d's made from bits of turkey so no wonder she likes that one too.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »
Good news - Suki's done a normal poop so it looks like the injections do help for sure.

I went shopping last night and bought Suki some turkey which we'll cook for her tea tonight as we've got to bulk her up - she loves turkey  :wow:

I'll never forget one Christmas we gave them some turkey each - the boys didnt really eat much of theirs but Suki ate hers, then Sullys, then Jaspers!

She then slept for ages with a very big belly ... but the grin on her face is one I'll never forget  ;D

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »
all the best Becky.  What a nightmare visit - if she does have to go in for regular injections, maybe they can fit her in at a quieter time? Or is there somewhere you could take her (through the back?) where there aren't any dogs.

Unfortunately theres not anywhere else that you can wait seperately - but think if it is a case that she's simply going in for an injection, I 'think' that the qualified nurses can do that, doesnt have to be a vet, so we may be able to get her in either first thing or last appointment. My husband's going for job interviews as he's desperately trying to get another job (one where he actually feels appreciated for a change!), so that may impact on when we take her anyway - might end up being a Saturday appointment.

I think you're so right to go for quality of life and feed her what she likes.  i/d is quite a good nosh for building them up but there are others which are more fattening (like a/d I think for convalescing cats). The Renal foods I've found to be less calorific. If you feed her 'junk' food though, you *may* find that she has more runny tums??.

I think the a/d was one of the foods the vet recommended, but she wanted us to not do that quite yet, as I think she wanted to make sure that the injection has the same affect as it did previous, then we'll put her on that food. And yes, I agree we're going to not feed her junk as that would cause her more issues than resolve them. Her favourite meat is turkey, so when I go shopping tonight will buy a nice piece and cook it for her - she loves turkey! :wow:

You mention insurance claim at the end of the year (did I read that right?). I think with most cos you'd have to let them know now so it's a claim now with subsequent continuing claims.My friend's cat was on cortisone for a long time, which helped her live an extra year. The vets didn't recommend it, but it helped her to feel better. That's what it's all about.purrs to Suki.

That's a very good point, and thanks for bringing it up. I think after the next injection and then the break, I think it'd be then the point whereby we would know for definete that she'd be on injections, so we'll ask the vet how we do monthly/6 week injections and still claim for them. I know that the vet has made an initial claim, and did mention that the next claim would be a continuational claim (though it's not going in just yet anyway).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:11:26 AM by scattycat »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
all the best Becky.  What a nightmare visit - if she does have to go in for regular injections, maybe they can fit her in at a quieter time? Or is there somewhere you could take her (through the back?) where there aren't any dogs. I think you're so right to go for quality of life and feed her what she likes.  i/d is quite a good nosh for building them up but there are others which are more fattening (like a/d I think for convalescing cats). The Renal foods I've found to be less calorific. If you feed her 'junk' food though, you *may* find that she has more runny tums??

You mention insurance claim at the end of the year (did I read that right?). I think with most cos you'd have to let them know now so it's a claim now with subsequent continuing claims.
My friend's cat was on cortisone for a long time, which helped her live an extra year. The vets didn't recommend it, but it helped her to feel better. That's what it's all about.
purrs to Suki.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Re: Suki not well - Diarrhoea - update
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
Well she had her vet visit last night - it didnt start off very well as an emergency had been brought in earlier and the vet was running late (which isnt their fault), then there were 2 large dogs in the waiting room which were fine, until another dog came in and 'bark bark bark' - thankfully the owner of the one dog took it out and waited outside - so poor Suki had spent around an hour in the cat carrier and having dogs barking, so she wasnt in a particulary good mood to begin with.

Anyway, we got in the room, and she was hissing and yowling straight away, so we knew it'd be a difficult examine to do. I think Suki got to breaking point and just didnt want to be examined anymore (especially when she examined her back) and she struck out with her paw and my husband got a long scratch on the top of his hand - thankfully the vet decided that was all the examining she needed!

We told the vet that her stools were returning to the softer type, and what she's done is give her another injection (which will last at least 4 weeks hopefully) and we need to take her back for another injection when we notice that the stools go from perfect to softer and squishy. Then the vet wants to do this for a couple of months at least and then leave it for a month - to see if the injections hopefully kick start something off in her to help her stools go to how they should be.

However, it does look like she will have to be on a monthly/6 week injection for the rest of her life it appears - unless something starts working inside her. It's a pity if that is the case, and we can budget to pay for an injection (and then make a claim at the end of a year.

The other thing that has caused concern is that she has lost more weight. When we first took her in she was 3.6kg, then when we took her back the 2nd time she'd dropped to 3.2kg and last night she was weighed and was 2.9kg.

The vet is concerned about her weight loss, though as Suki is very happy in herself (she's by no means being very quiet and wanting to be on her own all the while, quite the opposite to be honest), the vet wants us to feed her normal food now, with some i/d / RC mixed in every few days, see how she goes after a week, and then try to put her on some convelesence food to get the weight on her.

So, it wasnt the best of vet visits but hopefully we can give her however long she has left a happy life. We have said that quality of life is most important to us - had the vet said she had to have an injection every week then we'd have to start seriously thinking about something, as we have been in that position with another cat of ours and he hates going the vet now, and I cant blame him after having to go every night for 10 days.

Will keep you updated. Becky

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2007, 13:29:27 PM »
How is she getting on Scattycat :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 22:44:07 PM »
Chronic Renal (kidney) Failure  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 21:27:21 PM »
Mycat Clapton virtually stopped eating - he had a steroid injection which the vet said would kick-start his appetite and would last about a month. Touch wood, his appetite is back to normal (6 - 7 pouches a day) despite having CRF.

What's CRF?

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 21:26:38 PM »
What were the enzyme powders you were giving her? are you still using them and did they help do you think?

The vet didnt give that to us in the end. She said that as we'd seen an improvement in herself and her stools, that she didnt think that it was an enzyme/pancreas issue.

However, we may get asked to give her that on Thursday night when she has her vet appointment - as she might try it then.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 20:55:47 PM »

Does anyone know if steriods appear to fix her, what the next step would be for her - would it be steriod injections for the rest of her life, or something we put on her food as a medication?

Mycat Clapton virtually stopped eating - he had a steroid injection which the vet said would kick-start his appetite and would last about a month. Touch wood, his appetite is back to normal (6 - 7 pouches a day) despite having CRF.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 16:22:10 PM »
We've been feeding her the i/d and also the RC sensitivity food -

Does anyone know if steriods appear to fix her, what the next step would be for her - would it be steriod injections for the rest of her life, or something we put on her food as a medication?

What were the enzyme powders you were giving her? are you still using them and did they help do you think?

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 10:36:28 AM »
We've been feeding her the i/d and also the RC sensitivity food - like you say the i/d's not got much fibre so they'd be softer anyway - though we do have to be careful as with having 3 cats, she's starting to 'wait patiently' next door to another cat and jump in and finish what they eat once they've finished - so she's probably been having a third i/d, third RC and third normal cat food.

We tend to give them little meals when the weathers warm, so they eat all of it and so the flys dont get to it.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »
sounds like the vet may have been right if her diet is exactly the same??
my vet says i/d is very low in fibre btw but has a special type of fibre in it which makes them still poo although settles their tums. Are you still sticking to that? (oh he thinks the blue dots may be copper or minerals added to the food).
Hope she doesn't start runny tummy again as it's not too good to be too long on steroids, poor Suki. Do you feed her i/d little and often, if possible? that can help, rather than say 2 or 3x a day with a bigger meal.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
Your advice ...

It's nearly been 2 weeks since Suki had her 2 week steriod injection (as the vet thinks this may help her not have loose stools somehow), and she's got her appointment on Thursday.

The vet said to keep an eye on her on the days leading up to the appointment, as that would be when the steriod injection woudl start to wear off and to see how she was in herself and her stools.

Well, I dont know whether it's good or bad news - as last night she did a softer poo, and this morning when I checked the litter tray there was one which was very soft (only a little form to it) - so my question is :

Is it good news that as the steriod injection is starting to wear off and that her poos are going softer - does that mean that we've found that steriods help?

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
So glad for you that things are going well :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2007, 21:00:39 PM »
have yours got little blue dots in them too (most visible in the bit next to the can's edge) as all mine do, unless I'm seeing blue dots these days! Vet says he thinks nothing to worry about. It really does seem to help the tums.

I cant say I've noticed - I have seen that it is sometimes a bit discoloured on the bottom of the tin (could be a blueish ting come to tihink of it) - but not seeing dots yet  ;D

We're trying to vary her diet (i/d one day, RC the other) as we had a problem with one of our other cats when they were on prescription and he simply got bored of it and refused to eat it anymore (cant say I blame him, I mean imagine eating Steak and chips for the rest of your life - be nice to start with but I know I'd get bored).

I too hope Suki will be better soon - I'm just really glad that we didnt say to the vet 'yes go ahead and book her in for the surgery to look at her spleen' - as if it appears that has nothing to do with it, I'd really be feeling guilty putting her through an op for nothing.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 14:04:10 PM »
It's very odd that tests for pancreatitis etc have to be sent to America. I got told that too for bloods. Is there really no lab in the UK?! Or even the EU?!

Really hope Suki will feel better and won't need any more intrusive treatment or investigations. Now that you're on the i/d and R/C pouches too - with the i/d cans, have yours got little blue dots in them too (most visible in the bit next to the can's edge) as all mine do, unless I'm seeing blue dots these days! Vet says he thinks nothing to worry about. It really does seem to help the tums.
Not sure if phosphorus is a problem for poor wee Suki, but RC told me that if phosphorus is an issue, their duck sensitivity nosh has quite a bit less of it than their chicken one.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 13:14:56 PM »
Quick update ...

Spoken to the vet and she had asked the lab to do another test on the original stool we had taken in, thankfully they still had it, to see how much fat was in it, as that would give a good indication of whether the pancreas was an issue or not. She has said that the test results have come back normal, so she is virtually ruling out pancreatic issues for Suki - which then just leaves her metabollsm and the steriod injection.

We're taking her next Thursday to see the vet, but we've got to keep a close eye on her a few days prior, as that is when the injection will start to wear off, and we need to keep an eye out to see if she goes back to being more quiet and her stools returning to runny liquid not nice as they are now - fingers crossed!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
Aww, am glad to hear things are going well.
Please spay your cat

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 08:10:01 AM »
Great news we hope!  ;D

Over the last few days we have noticed an improved Suki - both in how she is and her stools!

She's much more happy (can just tell), and is certainly back to how she was (like sitting right next door to you whilst you're eating your tea on the sofa - eyeing your food up!), and her stools have gone from literally liquidy and very light in colour to normal looking stools (with a good form and a mid/dark brown in colour).

Got to ring the vet up this morning to giver her an update, and I know she'll be pleased. We're going to try the enzymes powder to sprinkle on her food - as the vet seems to think it could be either the pancreas or whether her metabolism has just slowed up very quickly but with the steriods it has kick started it again and is helping ... will give further update when we take her back to the vet next Thursday.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »
Am glad she is still doing well.
Please spay your cat

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 18:48:38 PM »
Well hopefully that was her last vet visit ... well for 2 weeks anyway!

She's had an antibiotic injection and also a steriod injection which will last for 2 weeks - the vet seemed very pleased that since she has been having them that she has perked up in herself.

We've also got some Royal Canin Sensitivity food to try her on (as we think she's getting a bit bored of being on i/d all the while) and the vet said that her stools with the royal canin food should look more normal (as the i/d has virtually no fibre in it, this RC stuff does, so something to look forward to my next visit of the litter tray!  ;D )

The other thing the vet is going to try is something to sprinkle over her food which is someting to do with enzymes and the pancreas (as she said she'll try anything she can to try avoid having to do surgery - which was lovely to hear)

So, next vet visit is 2 weeks time for Suki, hopefully we'll have some good news to report to the vet then  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 21:21:19 PM »
I hope every thing foes well for Suki  :hug:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 20:50:33 PM »
Heres a piccie of her belly ... bless her heart ... good job the summer is coming!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 15:49:06 PM »
Interesting that they dont need meds, I must be mistaken at reading that in humans.

Who knows you may have read that, a;l I can comment on is the person I knew who had her spleen out and then was not on medication.
What is also interesting is that years later she had  reflexology and one of the first things she was told was oh!  you have had your spleen removed. As it was not an everyday occurrence Pam was amazed that the reflexologist could tall by touching her feet.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 13:49:01 PM »
Interesting that they dont need meds, I must be mistaken at reading that in humans. Fingers crossed the steroids work and that it isnt' something too serious.
Please spay your cat

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 13:17:01 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention when we were talking about the stress issue and steriods, the vet mentioned that there is a brand new test which could be done ... but the poop would have to be sent off to America ... she said it was expensive, we never asked how much but I'd think it'd cost hundreds at least!  ;D

Link to CatChat