Author Topic: Scratching problem  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Scratching problem
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 18:13:02 PM »
Thats great news  ;D ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 13:08:53 PM »
It might be a good idea to check whether his claws need trimming. Warning: cats scratch more immediately after the trim to get rid of the excess bits which are inevitably left and to allow their claws to shed their outer shell (cats' claws are always shedding the outer layer, a bit like lizard skins). But he may be trying to wear his claws down if they are too long.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 13:09:36 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:40:11 AM »
After reading the info that Tan posted I showed Hubby and we had a chat, and he agreed to "love" Jess some more and last night we had an instant improvement, Jess seemed much happier and settled and layed accross both of us on the sofa.

I think his behaviour is because he wants attention from his Daddy, I do everything for him and often spend hours playing with him (charging round the house gives me exercise too  :Crazy:) where Hubby doesn't.

We are still going to keep Jess shut out the lounge during the night but we're not going to start it during the day.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 16:39:57 PM »
A deterrent spray would be better than shutting him out for the best part of the day, that would probably cause more behaviourial problems in itself (you should tell hubby that the doorframes will be next  :evillaugh: )

He could be doing it for more attention when you get up, a 5 minute game with a laser pen may help.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 14:56:29 PM »
Defo agree that you need to try to find the root of the problem, but in the meantime, I can say that the Sticky Paws strips do work.  They may not look that great, but they do stop the scratching ............ only thing you need to try not to do is forget they are there and get them stuck to you instead  :shy: :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 14:22:32 PM »
Tan - Thats brilliant thank you for that information

I wonder whether my Hubby has accidentaly caused it, his been annoyed with Jess recently. We didn't get another cat in the end despite talking about it.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 13:35:18 PM »
Hun there will be a reason why Jess has started to scratch.  Ya need to find out why to solve the problem. Is Jess doing the extra srcatching to mark his territory and put his scent about cause he feels threatened for some reason simular to urine sparying. Has anything changed in the house? Is there another cat coming in? Is there any reason why he feels insecure?

Have a look at this advice at the bottom of the page - Indoor scratching. http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4786.0

and here http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4826.0

:Luv: :Luv:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »
Thanks,

Gillian - Jess has 4 scratch posts which he uses all the time, (touch wood) his never scratched the sofas or armchairs when we're out he only seems to do it in the early mornings thats why I am convinced its not "natural" in the sense that he needs to to as he'll do it and go straight over to the scratch posts and use them. We can't used the sticky strips as they aren't suitable for leather, but we use No Scratch which has worked in the past, this seems to be a new phase.

Lynn - thats exactly what I've just found out so thats why I've ordered the feliway, as the scratching seems different if that makes sense.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
i found out through this forum that cats have scent glands in their front paws so when they scratch they are not only marking their territory but also leaving their scent..therefor feliway "might" help.

can you think what might have brought this on ?

I havent really got much useful advice but if he need to be shut in at night dont feel bad, cody gets shut in the kitchen with all his amenities due to his duvet peeing fetish and he is very happy there now. Not sure about through the day, i'm at home so this isnt necessary..i'd probably think that was too much tbh.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
We seem to have a scratching problem with Jess, over the weekend his taken to scratching the sofas and arm chairs his done this a few times before but these were quite bad.

I've ordered a Feliway plug in to see if that makes a difference, but I'm getting stuck for ideas, anyone????

Scratching is a natural behaviour so I don't think Feliway would be the answer somehow. You'll probably need to re-train him to scratch on the places you want him to! which means keeping a close eye on him, so that you can jump in every time you see him go to scratch in a place you don't want him too and redirect the scratching to his scratching post. Try spraying some cat nip on his scratching post as well,  and maybe get a couple more sturdy scratch posts (some scratch posts are a bit flimsy and wobble around when they go to scratch) to ensure that he's got several options, and he can scratch without it wobbling,

You could also try those sticky strips that you put on the edges of the sofas and chairs, - when they go to scratch they won't like the feel of the sticky - thats the theory anyway, don't know if they work because I've never used them.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Scratching problem
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
We seem to have a scratching problem with Jess, over the weekend his taken to scratching the sofas and arm chairs his done this a few times before but these were quite bad. So bad that we have started shutting him in the hallway and kitchen over night, he has his toys, bed, and scratch post (as well as food, water and litter tray) but I feel like we are being cruel but Hubby won't back down over it. Now because Jess has started his scratching again Hubby wants to shut him in there during the day as well. I'm not so sure though it would mean Jess would spend about 19 hours of the day out there, I've ordered a Feliway plug in to see if that makes a difference, but I'm getting stuck for ideas, anyone????

Link to CatChat