Author Topic: please help with cheeper options  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: please help with cheeper options
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 15:58:31 PM »
Normal frontline is fine cosmic, it has only recently been un-pom'd (Prescription Only Medicine) its not crappy like bob martin  ;D

Hippy, combo controls fleas in the environment too, so you would get complete cover by using a spray + normal frontline.

Cosmic, advantage doesnt cover the environment so by swapping to frontline you will get the same flea protection just cheaper.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 00:03:52 AM »
Desley, please explain the difference between the normal and combo, I'm confused!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 23:23:24 PM »
well had to try the pen trick today as mango is on the piriton twice a day . it took 2 of us poor thing but it went down

do u think it will be beter to get a perscrip , isnt the norm frontline good enough , i dont like the thought of fleas in the house . I used advantage untill now , i dont want to hae to spray the new carpets  :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 19:20:54 PM »
Glaad you have seen the technique for pills! You  can get pill poppers instead of using a pen, they have rubber tips  ;D

You will be very pleased with vet uk, i ordered tues night and got thursday morning  :wow:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 14:38:07 PM »
You might have done, but it was £1.73 when I last bought some, and the discount for rescues wasn't that great on those. There are 2 kinds of Frontline spot-ons, normal and Combo - only the normal one is available without prescription, but all you need to do is spray the house regularly (which could work out cheaper - my vets charge about £28 for the Combo and about £24 for the normal).
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »
will go there in future but do they charge postage

Please remember that if you order from vetUK via one of the Charity sites we get a 5% commission on all non perscription orders.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 22:11:17 PM »
i hpoe i read it right desley  :-:  what did you meen by combo on frontline des

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 22:09:24 PM »
Is Drontal on a special offer? We coulnt even get it at that price buying in bulk being a rescue!! No, they dont charge postage on Frontline and Drontal, only on food items. So an even bigger saving for you - and they are quick on delivery too.
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 22:08:18 PM »
just seen that on vet uk the fromtline is only £15 instead of £25and that drontal tab £1.50 instead of £2.50
i will go there in future but do they charge postage

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 22:00:19 PM »
i went to the vets today and as i pay £18 for a box of 4 advantage , i have changes to a box of 6 frontline at £25 that will last 3 month with the 2 cats
then i have gone onto drontal wormer that does everything and got 6 of them to last also 3 month as i flea and worm every month as have toddlers
so it cost £42 for 3 month
The vet showed me how to get tablet down , he popped it to the back and pushed it a little with the end of a pen to guide it down , sounds awfull but it worked a treat

I am now going to look on the vetuk website to see if i can in future get frontline cheerper

thanks for all your help

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 16:25:45 PM »
I save £8 a box which is great  :wow: 
Also cosmic several rescues on here have links to vet uk so if you click through them they get 5%  :wow:

The non tablet option is advocate & droncit spot ons

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
If you want normal Frontline (not Combo), it is cheaper to go through VetUK - I save £7 on a 6 month supply!!
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 21:39:12 PM »
they charge to do it and i thought that was a chhek so i got the spot on insted even though that is expensive

im ringing the vets in the orn to see if they supply frontline as it is cheeper than advantage and im going to get em weighed and see if the nurse will help to sort em out

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 13:16:50 PM »
Cosmic, if you have great difficulty giving pills to your cats, why not ask the vet to do it?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
We use Millibex wormers and Program Injection for fleas and ticks and a worm type which escapes me - on the plus side - worming quarterly and Program every 6 months - no shredding and extra health check at the vet included in the cost works out at approx £30.00 per cat
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »
Ah right - I was confused thinking I couldn't give them a tab and a spot on!! I prefer Milbemax, I struggle with Drontal - and yep, your right Lottie, half for under 4kg, 1 for over - doesn't go up in 2kg like Drontal does.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 21:43:17 PM »
Yes you are right MM it was two spot ons and the vet told me Desley  ;D

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 21:27:49 PM »
thanks all , i might give tablits a shot again , its moomin thats the prob there , i cant give in treat food cause they refuse treats  :tired:

so does drontal do ALL worms

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 19:20:27 PM »
Miss Boopy refused to let me near her with the Panacur paste the other week so I mixed it into wet food and it disappeared  ;D I think the paste only does roundworms though and doesn't do tapeworms (which was why I used the paste)

VetUK also do some granules to mix into food that are identical to Panacur granules just cheaper as they don't say Panacur on them so that might be worth a go  ;D

I usually use Milbemax though as Bilbo only has to take 1 of those and they are tiny compared to 2 Drontal XL but as the Milbemax is so small he doesn't mind too much (he detests tablets) and smaller cats, 4kg or less, only need half a tablet I seem to recall being told.

As for fleas my cats past and present have always had Frontline and it's been fine, again VetUK are good.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 17:01:11 PM »
Des, i think Gill means spot ons at the same time   :-:

Cosmic, you can use frontline instead of advantage. Your vet said stronghold was better because it does roundworm/ear mites but your worming monthly so dont need that extra cover.
Frontline costs £15 for 6 and lasts 5 weeks, vetuk is cheapest and as michelle says there are several rescues on here who earn 5% if you click through their links.  ;D

Panacur paste, fine for small kittens who are easy to restrain but i would think its about half a tube for a 4kg adult.....
It also doesnt treat the most common type of tapeworm.

This link shows you the method for tableting http://www.fabcats.org/worming.html i find for a difficult cat its easier to sit on them  :evillaugh: eg kneel down with the cat between your knees.

If they have a extra special fav treat then use that for tablets, my lots is raw steak with the tablet slotted inside!

Oh the other spot ons you could use is advocate for fleas/round worm and droncit for the tapeworm. May be cheaper that way?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »
I used Panicur paste when they were little but you might also find that a little bit of a struggle as you will have to get the paste into their mouths.

To be honest Drontal tablets really are the best and they are cheap. (about £2 a tab !!)
could you not get someone to help you give them to the cats ?
Have you tried wrapping the cats in a blanket with someone else holding them and you then put tablet down the throat ?

Frontline is cheap online (and you can get drontal online too)  and if you go through Ela's website she gets a donation.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
Gill, who told you they can't be wormed and flead at the same time? I have done it with fosters, and am sure the vets have done it when I have taken them in too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 22:53:07 PM »
Stronghold does fleas and earmites and some worms.....cant remember but think it doesnt do tapeworms but that maybe round worms.....it doesnt do one of the two.

I like stronghold and think it works better than advantage. Why did your vet stop stronghold?

Mine get wormed by spot-on at the vets and I donts worm or use flea traetment except when necessary because I dont like all this medication that is forced on them so regularily. I cant use flea treatment on Sasa cos I cant catch her and when they give her worming treatment at vets they cant do flea as well cos the two cant be done at same time.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 22:43:37 PM »
If your using the profender because your cats won't take tablets or are really hard to tablet then try dairylea or primula etc - it's magical!  I just wormed the boys and although Riley is as thick as he looks Lucas isn't!  I hid it in a treat at first (defurr-um, they are great - snap in half and there is a gooey substance inside which holds a tablet) but Lucas was not fooled so I put it in a blob of laughing cow cheese, he fell for it and slurped it down in one.  It worked for Tiggy with literally hundreds of tablets too.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 22:39:49 PM »
Dosnt Stronghold do both worms and fleas?

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 22:32:40 PM »
Hiya CC

I get my horse wormers from here they do all anaimals  http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/catdogorderform.html I dont get my cats and dogs as I like them to be weighed to get the right dose

hope it helps

xx

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
please help with cheeper options
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 21:51:44 PM »
i worm moomin and mango with profender spot on case they are a nightmare a getting tablits down anyway its expensive every month and i worm every month cause i have my 4 and 2 yr old girls and the new studie shows that cats can carry worm eggs on the fur.
Has anyone tried panicure paste i know its a little cheeper and i think as it is a paste i could get it down as i have got medicine down mango before

Also i use Advantage flea , i used to use frontline then the vet said it wasnt as good as stronghold then he stopped selling srtonghold and now i use advantage but thats quite expensive everymonth too , any really good flea that i could use that is EFFECTIVE moomin goes out catching mice  :doh:

im getting my 3rd cat soon , and show costs will be enough  ;D and want to protect well for flea and worm but sometimes think the vats are ripping me off a little

Link to CatChat