Author Topic: Ring worm  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Ring worm
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 20:40:41 PM »
Doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rofl:

Sounds like mine when I had shingles

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 18:25:13 PM »
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much to everyone for their advice...this website is amazing!
Right..kids have been to vets and have got cream. Should take a week to clear up.
Petal the Persian could take another 4 weeks to get rid of it but I have banned the kids from my room full stop and they are not allowed to share even hand towels....I WILL BEAT THIS!!!!!
The doctor said he was most impressed with the ring on my sons leg...said it was the best one he had ever seen!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 18:19:26 PM »
Many years ago, as a child, I was on holiday in Fuerteventura and there was a Mum and her baby kittens who lived in the garden of our apartment, my Mum and Dad asked to move apartments due to the noise by the pool and bar at night time and the Mum cat moved all her kittens to our new apartment which was a good 3 or 4 minute walk away....

That appears to be a lovely story until I tell you that we caught ringworm from them  :evillaugh:  We had two cats at the time and neither of them caught it, I had one on my leg so I used to lay a towel on the bed sheet where my leg would be and every morning roll the towel up inwards and put it in the wash.  I also used to cover it loosely with a thin dressing held on by micropore so the spores didn't spread.   I don't know whereabouts on your kids bodies the 'rings' so it may not be practical to cover them up but it worked for me, my sister and Dad didn't catch it in the first place as they didn't really handle the kittens and they didn't catch it from me or my Mum once we were back in the UK either.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 16:58:04 PM »
Daktarin Gold is an excellent cream safe for cats/kittens and humans costs £5 tube in boots,something I always have in my medical box, its an excellent cure.
Also the good news is that sunlight helps get rid of it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 16:32:26 PM »
You can use a barrier cream/ointment on it to stop the spores spreading as easily, someone i know used vaseline but im not sure about the side effects of licking petroleum?!

http://www.fabcats.org/ringworm.html

Good luck!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 14:30:26 PM »
I got ringworm on my chin once from kissing the head of my then-burmese, Louis. At the vets, he made not just Louis but me stand under the ultra violet light so he could see mine too  :Crazy:
anyhow got a cream from the doc and it disappeared within a week.
Think Ela's advice is, er, spot on. It's very contagious with touching, as kids would do.  Hope you are ring free soon. Once my cat had it cured, it didn't come back so you should get rid of it from cats and kids.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »
and she is quarantined in my bedroom.
The problem is my two kids have now got it(God knows how)

When I had a cat with ringworm I used an overall each time I came into contact with it, and then took it off very gentlly and put it straight in the washer and thoroughly  washed my hands and cleaned my nails.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 15:00:22 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 21:55:34 PM »
dont know much about ring worm bt i have a pampered 15 month old red persian called mango , so if you need any help with anything eles feel free to pm me  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 19:56:20 PM »
Good luck at both  and I am sure they will be able to help

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 19:42:14 PM »
Hi Gill,

have got the kids at the Doctors in the morning and Scraps at the vets in the evening so hopefully one of them can advise me. I just don't understand how its spreading. I've tried to be so careful. I do know that kids can pick it up easier than adults. Feel like I'm going nuts with kids and kittens!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 19:32:05 PM »
I would speak to your vet and your doctor concerning the way its passsing through the family, I know it can but was lucky when Kocka had it cos I didnt catch it.

They both should be able to advise you on what to do to stop it spreading

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 19:03:48 PM »
Hi Sam,

many thanks for letting me know about the website.

Emma

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 18:57:15 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
Ring worm
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 17:27:00 PM »
Hi everyone.
Was recently bought a Persian kitten(Petal) for my birthday by hubby. Two weeks ago I found her to have ring worm. Shes on tablets and I bath her twice a week and she is quarantined in my bedroom.
The problem is my two kids have now got it(God knows how) but I am also handrearing kittens, one who is very ill (Scraps)and I'm worried about passing it onto him.
Can anyone PLEASE give me some advice. Firstly the vet says she can have it up to 6 weeks...is this right? And secondly if the kids have picked it up could it be me passing it on to everyone on my clothes. I wash my hands after I have handled Petal but am so upset that the whole house has been affected. I've also stripped all our bedding and the cats and have washed them on a high heat.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Emma

Link to CatChat