Author Topic: Diarrhoea: what to do/ what's caused it?  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Diarrhoea: what to do/ what's caused it?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 14:19:22 PM »
how long must I boil the chicken for?

Depends how big it is. ;D

I cook my Jessica's in the Microwave 4 breasts takes 7 mins., they are still juicy but cooked.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 14:13:44 PM »
He's never been too keen on fish but I did buy some chicken, skinless breasts (only the best!).  Excuse the dumb question but I don't eat it; how long must I boil the chicken for? It's not that big a piece. And is boiled better than grilled?

He's eaten some i/d today and so far no nasty litter tray visits, but I can only get an appointment with the vet tomorrow. And at a busy time, so it's going to be difficult to get definitive answers out of him.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 16:17:05 PM »
Maybe a nice bit of boiled white fish might be OK (Thats what the vet advised when clapton had it)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 12:58:46 PM »
thanks guys. I just bought some Evian for him :)  He is ok in himself and is sitting in the sun having a purr so hope for the best until tomorrow when I hope the vet can see him.
If I get in extremis again, I'll post again! Sorry it's not sunny - it's hot in London today :)

I'm not sure if I should give the Zentoniil but think I will if there's no more litter tray activity by about 4pm. The vet can say all is ok liver-wise, but he's still on destolit and zentonil and I know for a fact that the latter helps appetite. I think his tum got very sensitive (bowel or tum??) when he had cholangiohepatitis.  The vet's often in a bad mood on mondays....this forum is such a help.

:thanks:  :thanks:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 13:02:24 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »
I do hope he is OK and sorry dont know what you can do. Elas advice sounds good.

maybe all the experts are out in the sun.................its raining here again and not seen a glimpse of sun since Friday!!

Keeping fingers crossed for Swampy and a vet visit tomorrow sounds like the best action  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:50:04 AM »
If it were my cat I would ring my vet (although closed,  I can). It is very difficult for an emergency vet to give advice over the phone as they don't know the cat so usually say they need to see them, which is understandable. If I were in your shoes, as long as Swampy appears OK in other respects, not lethargic. dehydrated or in pain etc. I would just give him water that has been boiled and cooled down until tomorrow morning  then ring the vet for further advice.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Diarrhoea: what to do/ what's caused it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:44:58 AM »
Sorry to start another thread, but Sunday = no vet etc and the only vets around are the emergency lot quite far away.
The background's in the Clapton and Fortekor thread. Swampy wouldn't eat yesterday until last night when got some i/d down him - not much. This morning he ate a little of some very runny palatable l/d can that he's had before (a tray of beefy food kept for emergencies), but then stopped. Did eat a spoonful more i/d.
I didn't give him Fortekor, but did give his other pill Destolit, which he's been on for months.

About an hour later he rushed to the tray - foul ponging runny tum. He's now resting. I've filled his water bowls and will leave him be. He's 15 and has never had diarrhoea before ever!
So I am not sure what to do. Should I try to get some i/d down him this afternoon, say mid afternoon (runny tum at about 9am) or leave it until tonight?
Should I syringe some water down him in which case how much and when?
IF he goes to the tray again, I will ring the emerg vets.  I sent my vet a text saying am stopping fortekor as Swampy is unwell and to let me know if that's a very bad idea and have had no reply, so assume that is a pill you can just stop.
I know lots of people on here know all about dodgy tums and what to do, so rushed up to type! Thanks everyone.....hope someone spends a few mins on here on a lovely sunny sunday!
(am chiefly worried, probably overreacting sorry, because of his dodgy liver so he has to eat and drink every day and can't get dehydrated).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:46:49 AM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat