Author Topic: question regarding Ging  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Re: question regarding Ging
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

He is eating the dried food I give him well actually,not chewing though just gobbing it all down in one go,greedy cat :evillaugh: 

He does also have wet food,I he gets a pouch at around 4-6 in the afternoon and sometimes of a night time too instead of dried food (depending on what I fancy giving them) lol  I don't want to put him entirely on dry food because I give the other cat the same and dried is good for his teeth.  My other cat has allergies and I have been told Burns is a good food for him since but I don't know if thy do smaller kibbles like JWB or Hills.

:thanks: everyone
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »
JWB is also smaller pieces, toothless cats can manage it quite well - I woudlnt' put a healthy 17yo on kitten food - and I would still do the blood testing - if it does show any kidney issues, certainly dont do it. Does he eat any wet food?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 23:27:47 PM »
Hi ya,

I personally would take him off supermarket biscuits and put him onto a better all round dry food
IE Hills or JWL
Re using kitten dry as its smaller - You would be surprised how many cats with NO teeth eat dry food
I wouldnt put him on Kitten biscuits as they could make him over weight.
Why not have a chat with your vet and see what he advices

Michelle x

The good thing about Hill's (apart from the  quality) is the kibbles are tiny - except the oral care ones which are gobstoppers  :evillaugh:
They also do a senior version which is obviously designed for older kitties. Pets at home often have offers on - ie at the moment, it's "buy one, get one 1/2 price" although as Lynn says he has managed well for 17 years on his regular food.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 23:30:37 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 23:16:24 PM »
Is he coping allright just now or having problems ?

personally i'd see what the vet thinks, i think des mentioned before about blood testing..not a bad idea at 17 just to make sure the kidneys etc are coping ok.

Normally i'd say put onto a better quality of food but well at 17 if thats what he's had all his life something has worked ok if you catch my drift..not sure i'd want to do anything too drastic to upset an apple cart unecessarily.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 22:58:47 PM »
Hi ya,

I personally would take him off supermarket biscuits and put him onto a better all round dry food
IE Hills or JWL
Re using kitten dry as its smaller - You would be surprised how many cats with NO teeth eat dry food
I wouldnt put him on Kitten biscuits as they could make him over weight.
Why not have a chat with your vet and see what he advices

Michelle x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 22:58:19 PM »
Does he seem unhappy with his current food? Does it look difficult for him to eat?

Personally, I'd soften the adult food rather than give him kitten food. It's got a different nutrional value on most of the ingredients as far as I'm aware.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
question regarding Ging
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 22:28:26 PM »
Ging is becoming a very popular cat in this forum having 2 threads for himself lol 

Anyhow Ging is 17 years old and only has 2 teeth one big one at the top left of his mouth and another big one on the opposite end at the bottom.  Now I have been giving him adult complete biscuits brekkies/go-cat/whiskas (whatevers on offer) but I have recently been thinking about putting him on kitten dry food as its smaller and might be easier for him to eat.  If I did this would it harm him?  I know kitten food is more calorific,could doing this really do him harm?

Thanks in advance guys  :)
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat