Author Topic: Can't remember how to work out dry matter %  (Read 4356 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Can't remember how to work out dry matter %
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 15:24:57 PM »
The 4ft string job doesn't bear thinking about!  I am letting them get near the lavender now but they don't seem too keen on it. Still a bit scared of the spider plant because they chew lots of it.

Big joke - my friend is a trainee chef and she told me to blend the minced chicken k/d with a handblender because I told her it had annoying rice grains in it. So I did (on the slow setting). It came out verrrry liquid and let's just say, unappealing looking (I won't be revolting here, but you can imagine as it is brown....) but they lapped it up. The only thing is that they can now eat it too fast.
The main problem is though that although you know you've liquidised a can, how on earth can I measure just how much each cat is getting?! I can do 1 spoon for you and 1 spoon for you until it's finished but what's left of my brain has fried at trying to work out how much nosh it represents. A certain amount is lost on the blender too.
The idea at the moment is to give them 1/2 can each pd and 1/2 can i/d (unblended). Because of the mess it makes, I need to blend what I need just once per day and then put it in a container in my coolbag.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 14:47:18 PM »
yes if they are house cats its essential that they are given fresh picked grass every day. Ideally you should plant some seeds in a pot and water it so that it is continually growing fresh .
The reason they eat the grass is not to supplement their diet it is to make themselves sick when they have a digestive problem

Outdoor cats can graze when they want to but indoor cats have no choice other than to eat house plants instead,  many of which are highly toxic. Some plants with stiff stems will jam in their intestines as has happened to our peanut twice he needed surgery on one occasion before we moved to where we had a garden.

Its amazing what they find to eat around a normal house.
Peanut once walked past me whilst I was on the phone trailing a foot long piece of string from his bottom !... 
I grabbed the end of it and as he ran off the other 4 foot of string came out in one length !  Once cats start to eat something it is a reflex action to continue to eat the rest of it however long and awkward it is . The other day my Tabby Boo licked her hair brush and got some of the hair in her mouth. before I could stop her she had swallowed the entire attached clump of hair that I had just painstakingly coombed and brushed off her to prevent furballs ! Groan  :doh:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 14:50:55 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 14:34:05 PM »
I suppose he's not a little constipated is he ? is he a indoor cat ? if so might pay to give him a selection of fresh grasses .

not sure - do you think I can let him/them (Swampy's had diarrhoea: other thread) occasionally munch on some spider plant (chlorophytum) which they used to eat instead of grass. Max gets very sick from grass or kitty grass but more sedately sick (!) from the spider plant. It's not toxic!  I've been hiding it since the vomit troubles, but perhaps they do still need something green sometimes as they are indoor cats. They do go for the lavender on the windowsill but don't think it tastes good as it's half hearted. They ignore the basil and rosemary.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
I dont even know that Mark  :(

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »
I suppose he's not a little constipated is he ? is he a indoor cat ? if so might pay to give him a selection of fresh grasses . Maybe a hairball?  if long coated will be shedding loads of fur like my tabby is all over the place .Bringing up hairballs despite lots of combing and brushing
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:38:34 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »
In my case 0% sadly. My brain is now completely  :censored: blank anyhow!

Help good people - Max is having a fuss attack and I can't get him to eat. He is not sick and is hungry, but turns down i/d (his normal), l/d (which he would normally eat) and finally ate a mouthful of k/d minced chook and stopped. This since yesterday evening. He's already lost 100g and will keep losing. I think it's nerves.
I'm inclined to go back to his old nosh of i/d and hold out -- but he was ready to chew the furniture last night but wouldn't actually eat. He finally ate a teaspoon of l/d off my fingers.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

% of grey hair = too bl**dy much.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 23:10:35 PM »
Im no help, my matter dryed up long ago.

:rofl: What % is left CC?  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 20:57:19 PM »
Im no help, my matter dryed up long ago.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 20:50:02 PM »
I am  :Crazy:  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 20:28:41 PM »
How can the phosphorus be a part of calories? Or have i missed something... :-: :-:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 19:12:29 PM »
Afternoon, maths fundis.  Hills have got me now. Can anyone translate this lot:

l/d phosphorus listed under dry matter as .61% or 142mg/100kcal

k/d phosphorus listed under dry matter as .38% or 'as fed, calorific basis 7.9g/100kcal'  (see how the b***grs have changed it from mgs to gs)

i/d phosphorus listed as under dry matter 0.71% or 'as fed, calorific basis' 174mg/100kcal.

Er, without wanting to make a total fool of myself, does the l/d then equate to about 14g/100kcal and the i/d 17g/100kcal?

The l/d would = 0.14g/100kcal and the i/d 0.17g/100kcal

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 17:45:40 PM »
Afternoon, maths fundis.  Hills have got me now. Can anyone translate this lot:

l/d phosphorus listed under dry matter as .61% or 142mg/100kcal

k/d phosphorus listed under dry matter as .38% or 'as fed, calorific basis 7.9g/100kcal'  (see how the b***grs have changed it from mgs to gs)

i/d phosphorus listed as under dry matter 0.71% or 'as fed, calorific basis' 174mg/100kcal.

Er, without wanting to make a total fool of myself, does the l/d then equate to about 14g/100kcal and the i/d 17g/100kcal?

the k/d and i/d have about 27% fat in dry matter whereas the l/d's a bit lower.
Of course it's all a bit academic if it gets vomited, but i/d almost never does. But are the l/d and maybe i/d too high in phosphorus - k/d is obviously the lowest. I knew I should have listened more in skool.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 17:08:40 PM »
Thanks Helen & Susanne  ;D

Those number look pretty close to k/d phosphorus so worth ordering some. I have ordered him some k/d chunks in gravy so will see how he goes with that.

I can smell a sort of wee smell in his fur so guess he must have quite high toxins although he is fine in himself and eating well.

Thanks  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 13:37:21 PM »
Beat me to it!  I was just typing out a reply and when I went to preview saw that Helen had got there first  ;D

I once calculated several varieties of applaws food and they all worked out at 0.6-0.7 % phosphorus (dry matter).  It looks like almo nature is a bit lower, but they all seem to be fairly low.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 13:34:39 PM »
The phos in the data you've given is in mg rather than as a %, 87.5 mg is equal to 0.0875 grams so that food has 0.08 grams of phosphorous per 100g  (not dry matter) or rather 0.08%.  To covert that to dry matter you take the % of phos  (0.08) divided by the % of dry food in that brand (20) x 100.

(0.08/20) x 100 = 0.4% phos

"The most accurate means of doing this is to convert the guarantees for both products to a dry matter basis. The percentage of dry matter of the product is equal to 100% minus the percentage of moisture guaranteed on the label. A dry food is approximately 88-90% dry matter, while a canned food is only about 22-25% dry matter. To convert a nutrient guarantee to a dry matter basis, the percent guarantee should be divided by the percentage of the dry matter, then multiplied by 100. For example, a canned food guarantees 8% crude protein and 75% moisture (or 25% dry matter), while a dry food contains 27% crude protein and 10% moisture (or 90% dry matter). Which has more protein, the dry or canned? Calculating the dry matter protein of both, the canned contains 32% crude protein on a dry matter basis (8/25 X 100 = 32), while the dry has only 30% on a dry matter basis (27/90 X 100 = 30). Thus, although it looks like the dry has a lot more protein, when the water is counted out, the canned actually has a little more. An easier way is to remember that the amount of dry matter in the dry food is about four times the amount in a canned product. To compare guarantees between a dry and canned food, multiply the guarantees for the canned food times four first."

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Can't remember how to work out dry matter %
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
I was thinking of getting some Almo Nature for Clapton from Zooplus - They give the phosphorus % but I can't remember how to work out the dry matter % - please can someone tell me?

The chicken was 2nd lowest phosphorus with seafood mix being even lower but I don't think he would eat it (it was 65mg/100g)

Chicken:
chicken 75%, cooking water 24%, rice 1%
Moisture 80%, raw protein 17%, raw fat 0,30%, raw ash 2%, raw fiber 1%, taurine: 1,2 mg/100 g, calcium: 13,31 mg/100 g, phosphorus: 87,52 mg/100 g, sulfate: <35 PPM, energy: 750 Kcal/kg

Link to CatChat