Author Topic: National Microchipping month - June 2007  (Read 2624 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: National Microchipping month - June 2007
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
My 2 have South African fitted American-manufactured microchips just to make it even more fun. They are all read by the EU scanners luckily though. The vet in France read them with no trouble and they were registered on the national felin register as 'foreign' :)
Here in England the vet entered their chip nos in his computer and Petlog had no probs at all with the foreign chip either. Miss Boopy's chip will be fine with Petlog. It will probably have numbers and FR on it?

The only trouble I had was that Swampy's has a 0 in it, which caused all manner of hysterics as no-one knew if it was a 0 (zero) or a capital 'o'. Some scanners read with a line through it and others don't. I had to have all his antibody titre test paper work redone by the Toulouse lab as the first time they put the letter O. They did it with much gallic muttering about les anglais fou (mad english)!

Are Petlog good? In France, Miss B was probably on the wonderfully named "Fichier National d'Identification des Carnivores Domestiques Autres Que Les Chiens"  = national ID folder of domestic carnivores other than dogs!   ;D  Which reminds me, haven't told the good dames of Paris that I've moved.  I would love to hear you ring up that lot and give her name as 'Miss Boopy' btw  :rofl: 

Just to add another anecdote: the SA guy who imports and sells the chips out there has put 4 (so he told me) in his own leg to check if they move or which scanners can read them....ho hum  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:42:43 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 18:39:05 PM »
I can find out how the 2 spanish cats at work had their chips changed over to the rescue. Amazing how people import their pets and then dont alter the contact details!

Could her breeder enlighten you?

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 18:11:13 PM »
Lottie, which company is she chipped with?

I couldn't see a company name on the form when I was at the vets earlier but I will have a look tonight again (am currently at uni as internet at home is broken) but it's not Tracer, Petlog or anyone like that.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 18:08:38 PM »
Lottie, which company is she chipped with?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 21:25:05 PM by Millys Mum »

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 18:05:21 PM »
Swampy's has ended up somewhere on his 'right thorax' which nearly induced heart failure in both me and the french vet at the time.
Maybe it was his way of saying he'd prefer to stay in sunny France eh.
I think DEFRA's rules are 3 months (stand to be corrected) for microchips but it's really worth doing, for Petlog and in case you travel.

Were your cats chipped in the UK or in France? Boopy was chipped over in France and I have no idea how to go about changing her ownership to being me and registering her with a chip company over here. My vets didn't have a clue when I asked this afternoon.

Debs

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 17:50:07 PM »
Fascinating read, its giving me food for thought about what is best to do for Teoh  :thanks:

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 17:46:36 PM »
Bilbo was done at 12 weeks before he came home from his breeder, Miss Boopy was done at just under 8 weeks old and Tigger was done at around 9-10 weeks.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 17:34:54 PM »
I don't think it hurts them. Max is a wimp poor love at the vet and was fine.  It only takes a sec too. A word of warning though: the 'guaranteed' non migrating technology is a joke. Swampy's has ended up somewhere on his 'right thorax' which nearly induced heart failure in both me and the french vet at the time.
Maybe it was his way of saying he'd prefer to stay in sunny France eh.
I think DEFRA's rules are 3 months (stand to be corrected) for microchips but it's really worth doing, for Petlog and in case you travel.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 17:31:33 PM »
Please can you tell me what age can I have my little baby Teoh microchipped

All ours are chipped before they are homed.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Debs

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 15:28:52 PM »
Ahhhh, thanks for that Lynn

You are right, he wont be able to get outside so maybe I should wait until he has his 'op' I feel so guilty at the thought of having him neutered, hope its not too painful.... but its got to be done  :(

He has been to his vets three times with his breeders but is entitled to a free health check as I am now his Mum. I was hoping he could be microchipped then, but I do not like the sound of a needle going near my darling, it might frighten the poor mite  :scared:

So, I will wait til he is neutered, I think thats a brilliant idea Lynn, just one trip and lots of cuddles and love at home for Teoh afterwards  :Luv:

:thanks:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 15:31:22 PM by Debs »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 15:18:06 PM »
Debs he can be chipped at any age..all that involves is a needle (large one) being inserted into an area around his shoulders/back of neck and a small chip gets left around the size of an unboiled grain of rice.

However many peeps do prefer to wait until they are going in for neutering and getting it done when they are under anaesthetic, esp as the cats shouldnt be going outside before hand anyway..since you havent kids etc to leave windows or doors open there should be a very slim chance of teoh escaping meantime but if you'd feel happier your vet would do it now in a normal appointment.

Debs

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 15:14:51 PM »
Hello

Please can you tell me what age can I have my little baby Teoh microchipped?

He is only 14 weeks old at the moment  :scared:

Thank you

Debs xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 19:32:47 PM »
I think it's nationwide, took the boys for their 2nd injections on Friday and there was a poster in the vets saying microchipping was only £15 for the month of June.  I'm sure I saw another thread saying someone's local RSPCA was offering a discount too.  I thought about it but I'm going to wait until they are neutered in August so it can be done while they are 'under'.

Edit:  Doh, just saw the title - National microchipping month, of course it's nationwide  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 19:33:38 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 14:45:37 PM »
Reminds me I need to find out how to sort out Miss Boopy's microchip.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 14:43:39 PM »
Petlog is through kennel club.  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 14:41:40 PM »
ooooh just seeing if you would spot the delibrate mistake! LOL

Yes it is for June 2007:  http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/578  I found the article on the kennel club pages so I'm not sure if it's just for dogs (but I doubt it)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 13:17:27 PM »
Sam is that for this June? It says 2006 on the article.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat