Author Topic: Constipation/hairball issues  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Constipation/hairball issues
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 19:21:25 PM »
I thought I had been told body oils rather than organ oils, but wanted to check before I gave it to her, shall start them tomorrow (she is already tucking into tea!!). Managed to sneak a few hairball biscuits in too. I just bought them from Bodycare.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 15:45:57 PM »
so went and got Omega 3 Fish Oils today - will they work? She eats food with Lactulose in it, so was hoping if it was a similar amount, she wouldn't notice.

Yes, they should help Desley, especially fish oils as opposed to plant oils. Mine don't notice the salmon oil that I squirt into their food every now and then. I buy Holland and Barrett capsules, just pierce and squirt!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 14:54:04 PM »
Try mixing a tiny bit of sunflower oil into her normal food - only a little, so she won'd notice or get full too quickly. Do this over the course of a week or so. It should help.

Have lots of experience with furball - Sam's fave hobby is throwing them up!!! :sick:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
Bought the Hills Hairball biscuits, and they didn't go down too well!! Tiger isn't the prob, as much as I dislike cleaning the sick up, at least hers come up, it is Molly who wont take anythign that is the prob - although she is going outside more now, so will be eating grass again - she is very fussy as to what she has in her food, and we are wondering if hairballs are causing her constipation, but struggling to find something that will help her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 20:57:15 PM »
Does she drink well?  You could possibly try her on "Peridale" granules.  They bulk out the poo rather than acting as a laxative and it seems to work really well and it doesn't seem to taste too bad. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 20:23:57 PM »
Des she may be on a "Natural" chemical free diet not the one you want her on!

Do you feed any of the Hairball biscuits as we feed Royal Canin and Hills and hairballs have decreased on the inside ones greatly

have the odd hairball with the others but usually with grass so maybe they know best

Good luck its a nasty thing but wooden and tiled floors help us drastically!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Constipation/hairball issues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 19:28:43 PM »
Tried Molly on sardines last night, and even mixed them with sardine HiLife - threw it all away, she wouldn't touch it (Lucy and Tiger ate half of theirs though!!), do have tuna in oil left to try, so went and got Omega 3 Fish Oils today - will they work? She eats food with Lactulose in it, so was hoping if it was a similar amount, she wouldn't notice. She doesn't like Katalax or hairball treats - fortunately the other two do, although Tiger's favourite is eating grass then coming back in to bring it up, lovely girl that she is!!
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat